PDA

View Full Version : New to the world of photography - Camera Choice

Rick
05-02-2010, 12:07am
Hey guys,

First post/topic in here. There is lots of great information on these forums so I can't wait to get shooting! Firstly i'll be needing a camera.

I have been tossing up between the 450D and the D80. I've had a play around with both Canon and Nikon and like the feel of the Nikon more. I am undecided about how I should go about making my first purchase. New? Second hand? New camera body for a little bit more then save for a #####? Or buy both second hand for the same price?

I would like some opinions on what my options are and what you guys recommend? Are there any other Aus forums I can look to for second hand gear? Looking around $1100 max budget.

Thanks in advance :)

kiwi
05-02-2010, 12:12am
If the Nikon fits you better, feels better, that's the one

ebay

Id buy a d80 or d200 second hand, just make sure the actuations (# of shots) less than 50,000 or so

jasevk
05-02-2010, 12:23am
If you're able to stretch ur budget out some more, there's a nifty d300 for sale in classifieds with a battery grip, also there's a 16-85mm lens. I own the same 2 items and they're both excellent pieces of equipment.

Avalon
05-02-2010, 12:35am
Welcome to the Forum.
I reckon the D80 is a great camera to start on,
I did and never regretted it.
Your lens choice will depend on what type of photography you like to do.

Gregg Bell
05-02-2010, 5:36am
If you prefer the feel of the D80 then thats probably the camera for you. no doubt its a great camera, but its getting on now.

Have you thought of getting a D40/D60, and a good lens to suit your needs? Or do you think you will find a enthusiast prosumer camera more suitable?

What would you like to photograph as well?

Analog6
05-02-2010, 7:45am
If a camera feels good in your hadn then it is probably the one for you. I am a great adviser in favour of second hand, you get more bang for your buck and if you don't like it you can resell without as much loss as with a new one (generally). But if you go the used road, buy on a forum like this, where you have some comeback and a bit of support in use of the new toy. Good luck and enjoy.

N*A*M
05-02-2010, 2:22pm
d90 operates and feels a like a d80 but with a LOT more features
very good value as grey import today

ving
05-02-2010, 2:52pm
nikon of canon (or any other brand), it doesnt really matter cause they all can produce good pics... just whatever feels good to you.

you say the d80 felt better in your hands just buy one of those. gettng a new one can be hard tho... have you considered getting one of the new nikons like the d3000, d5000 or d90 (if you have the cash)? all newer technology and you will get the warranty with them which you probably wont get with a second hand d80. the d3000 and 5000 dont have focus motors biult into thier bodies which limits the ##### you can use, but this system has been around for ages and most new lenses have a built in focus motor to deal with this so I doubt its an issue. the d90 is more expensive but will allow you to auto focus with older lenses if you want to collect older lenses.

any of those 3 would probably suit your needs.

I cant comment on canon gear as i am not familiar with it but much the same would apply, they are all capable cameras.

Rick
05-02-2010, 7:36pm
Thanks for the reply guys, some good feedback.

I'm mostly looking at doing landscapes, portraits and sports...

If I can pick up a second hand D80/90 with a lens under $1100 second hand I would be happy. I figured the D90 would be slightly out of budget. Only reason I wasn't sure about second hand was because of warranty. Is there anything else to look out for apart from shutter actuations and general wear and tear (scratches, marks etc)?

I was originally considering the D60, but have been lead on a different path from a few people saying that its discontinued, old etc etc. Is there any truth in this? New D40/60 vs. S/H D80/90? I also feel like something midrange would suit me better in the long run, and give me room to grow for quite some time. If the gear is in good condition I have no problem buying second hand.

How do the D200/300's stack up against D80/90? Main differences and forte, so to speak?

I'll have a scope around the classified section!

Thanks =]

ving
05-02-2010, 7:55pm
I was originally considering the D60, but have been lead on a different path from a few people saying that its discontinued, old etc etc. Is there any truth in this? =]the d80 was discontinued well before the d60 came out i think...

discontinued doenst mean no good. the d200 has been discontinued for ages and is still a great camera. if you get one of the older cameras just make sure it has been looked after and the shutter actuations arent too high.

Gregg Bell
05-02-2010, 9:33pm
Thanks for the reply guys, some good feedback.

If I can pick up a second hand D80/90 with a lens under $1100 second hand I would be happy. I figured the D90 would be slightly out of budget. Only reason I wasn't sure about second hand was because of warranty. Is there anything else to look out for apart from shutter actuations and general wear and tear (scratches, marks etc)?

I was originally considering the D60, but have been lead on a different path from a few people saying that its discontinued, old etc etc. Is there any truth in this? New D40/60 vs. S/H D80/90? I also feel like something midrange would suit me better in the long run, and give me room to grow for quite some time. If the gear is in good condition I have no problem buying second hand.

How do the D200/300's stack up against D80/90? Main differences and forte, so to speak?

I'll have a scope around the classified section!

Thanks =]

The D60 is still new compared to the D80. Don't get so caught up on the tech side, and what's old or new. The major difference between the D80 and D200 is the features the D200 offers. D80 has presets like landscape, portrait, sports modes. For enthusiasts who want to take a photo, without putting alot of thought into the photo, and walk away with a great shot.

The D200 has only M,A,S,P and 3 custom settings, designed with features more to professionals.

The D60 is a great camera, and is as good as the D80, it is cheaper mainly because It lacks a AF motor. Therefore you are limited to DX, G, and I believe AF-S lenses. The D80/90/200 all have this motor which makes them capable of using D-type lenses from the early 90s, and late 80s.

If you just want to take pictures for fun, I think a D40/60 would be a good idea, and then consider getting a good lens. someone was told me this...

"Photography is all about description. The lens makes the image, but the camera records it."

With point and shoots you are generally compromised my a poor lens, and a decent recorder. however with P&S you are limited to the amount of artistic effects you can do while photographing.

I think if you are happy to take good photographs for personal pleasure, and its just landscapes, portraits, and sports, then maybe you should consider finding the lens that will suit you, and then consider getting a used camera body later on.

The newer camera's maybe "better recorders" but even the D40/60 are very good cameras, and do everything the pro cameras do, they just lack in professional features.

abitfishy
05-02-2010, 9:46pm
I bought a D80 and LOVE it. Plenty of features, easy to use, and having the AF motor built in makes it very practical when looking for cheaper lenses. I paid about $650 for mine (body only) off ebay last April (I think) which I'm pretty sure was quite a good deal at the time. Especially since its only done 7103 actuations now, and that's after a lot of playing around and a Japan holiday.

old dog
05-02-2010, 11:00pm
hey Rick...had the exact same dilema almost 2 yrs ago. Nikon or Canon....nikon felt way more comfy in my hand...went for the D80 and love it. As for second hand....I would sell my D80 to anyone...only prob is a few hot pixels but I don`t even give that a thought. Great camera. With $1100 to spend, I`d go a D90 with a 50mm f1.8 to start with or buy a s/h 18-135 or similar. That`s what 1`d do. Whatever you choose, you will have a great time....cheers.

Rick
06-02-2010, 2:21am
Once again thanks for the replies!

I dont plan to shoot in auto mode, but would a D200/300 be a little too advanced for a beginner like me?

I think I would rather a second hand D80/90 for a little more than a D60 (new) with lens kit. I prefer the midrange type of camera as it will take me a while to grow out of it.

What lenses would people recommend for what I want to do? Are there any other good places to pick up S/H camera's apart from these forums?

Rick.

Colourised
06-02-2010, 2:50am
id say with the current prices for the D90 being only $860 for grey market body its definitely a steal! and you could always get 2nd hand lenses from forums like this one here to seek for good ones :)

im a D60 user btw, would i have been better off with the D90 in the 1st place? yes, in terms of wider range of lens choice w/o being limited to in-built autofocus lenses only.

but do i regret having the D60 now? not at all. its a sound performer and im loving it :D

Gregg Bell
06-02-2010, 3:28am

I dont plan to shoot in auto mode, but would a D200/300 be a little too advanced for a beginner like me?

I think I would rather a second hand D80/90 for a little more than a D60 (new) with lens kit. I prefer the midrange type of camera as it will take me a while to grow out of it.

What lenses would people recommend for what I want to do? Are there any other good places to pick up S/H camera's apart from these forums?

Rick.

Rick,

I don't know where your are with your photography, or much you plan on learning. It all depends on how much time you commit to learning, and how quickly you advanced. I wanted a camera that gave me complete control. The D60 I had was a fantastic little camera. it had everything I needed, when first getting off the blocks.

I never planned to learn so much about photography, let alone start looking into the works of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Joel Meyerowitz, O'Sullivan, and recently Max Dupaine. Everyone progresses at different levels. Kiwi started off with a D40.

I got annoyed when I found the D60 had limited features, and the D200 offered me alot more features that I wanted. That was because

I am not going to tell you which camera to go for, There's NO auto mode on the Dxxx just FYI. The Dxxx are prosumer, or semi-professional bodies. honestly like I have said the lens makes the image, the body records the image. I think a D40, D60 or a D80 would be a good options. The tech and ISO in the D60 I think it much better then the tech in the D80 though. and the D60 has a far better dynamic range then the D80/200.

This D40 here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D40-Body-Only-Digital-Camera_W0QQitemZ120526181655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item1c0feb9517#ht_500wt_1182) will cost you around $300, which will give you $800ish to spend on lenses.

as for the lenses, it depends if you really want the lenses to be specialized, and if that's the only thing you want to photograph.

For landscapes you can go as cheap as the Sigma 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=720) for as cheap as $505, or if you want a good Nikkor lens like the Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=2197) for $940. Both of these lenses will work on all the cameras discussed, even the D40. However these lenses are primarily landscape lenses only!

IF you want a lens to do everything you want to photograph then you might want to consider getting the 18-200mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VRII (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=2288) for $770. However because of its focal length covering everything this lens has it's drawbacks, and that usually image quality. However if you just want good sharp photographs this lens maybe for you.

Portrait lenses, well I think the best lens for portrait on a D40/60 would be the 35mm f/1.8G DX (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=2218), which is a wonderful little lens. If you want something cheap and cheerful and you get a D80/90 then the 50mm f/1.8D can be had for $165.

the kit lens 18-55mm is very decent optics, the annoying thing I found with that lens was that I think there is ants inside which adjust the lenses inside to make it focus correctly (in other words its slow at focusing) The best lens for landscapes, and portraits to be had would have to be the 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX (http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=713) though it out of your budget, it is a versatile brilliant lens, that would do the landscapes, and portraits you want, and yet still be a great general all rounder.

you could look at getting the highly rated Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD for $438, or get the one with Vibration Control for $670. Both of these are good lenses, and better then the kit lens, but fall short from the 17-55mm DX.

For sports, well I guess if you want to be cheap then the 55-200mm or a 70-300mm lens of your choice, though everyone highly rated the nikkor 70-300mm VR which sells for around $1000.

The question you should ask yourself is how important is quality?, how much sports will you be photographing?, Is shooting landscapes the main reason to get into photography?

If your answer is no to all these, then maybe you should get a 18-200mm. If not then why not get a D40 or D60, get a Tamron 17-50mm, and maybe a 55-200mm, or a 70-300mm lens for sports. If sports isn't such a big deal and landscape is more important then why not get the Sigma 10-20mm?

D40 ~$350
Tamron 17-50mm $438
Sigma 10-20mm $505

Total - $1293. A little over but you have a good lens for landscape, and another for general use.

D40 ~$350
18-200mm $770

Total $1120. close to your budget, and you have a lens that can be used for everything, but doesn't have fantastic image quality.

end of the day you got to come to a decision, about how important are those genres, and how important is quality.

arthurking83
06-02-2010, 1:22pm
T.....

Thanks =]

I dont plan to shoot in auto mode, but would a D200/300 be a little too advanced for a beginner like me?....

Rick.

In order of preference:

D300; D200; D90 because of the slightly better AF abilities, and brighter viewfinder.

D200 and D90 would be a close run thing though, and (because I use this feature so much more than I ever expected!!) D90 may have an advantage over the D200 for it's LiveView.

Sometimes for landscape shots you may need Mirror Lock Up(D300 D200) as opposed to Exposure Delay(D90 D80) as the one second delay time is insufficient. I never use exposure delay anymore on the D300, only the Mup feature.

For sports the D300 may be an advantage over the rest due to a slight better AF module.
other features of the Dxxx series compared to the Dxx are too numerous to list again, but needless to say they can come in handy when you need them.

As for starting lenses.. ATM I can't see any lens better than the Nikon 18-105VR as an all rounder, just to get you to the point where YOU will have a better understanding of which focal lengths and aperture values are important to you.
105mm is short for most sport activities though.

The way I see it is that skimping now(at this stage) will only end up costing you more in the future.

On Wed 17th, were having a meetup at StKilda pier(see the Vic/Melb Meetup thread) come along and see for yourself what each camera is 'really like' in action.
There'll be many and varied brands to peruse.(be careful tho.. you may end up lusting over a D3x and multi thousand dollar lenses.. from which there's no recovery :p)

Rick
06-02-2010, 5:35pm
Thanks for the replies!

All of the technical talk seems a bit overwhelming at the moment, but the more I research the more I start to understand it.

Landscapes is mostly what I will be shooting.

Grey market imports are refurbished cameras from overseas im guessing? Meaning no warranty etc. Who retails them? Is it smart to get warranty? Obviously if you don't take care of it and something goes wrong it pays to have it, but providing the appropriate care is taken, is there anything that can go really wrong? If not I have no problems with buying S/H.

The more I read about the D90 the more I am liking them. It seems the smarter way to go, both financially and I won't feel the need to upgrade for a while. The more I read second hand also seems like the top option.

Apart from these forums is Ebay the place to be looking for second hand gear?

Thanks

abitfishy
06-02-2010, 5:52pm
Rarely are imports refurbished. Very rarely. Most are just HK internet sellers taking advantage of their cheap source VS our retail prices.

As much as anything can go wrong I guess, if you take care of it it should be fine. I don't think DSLR cameras are particularly troublesome, although there are acceptions to any rule. Having said that, the way I look at it, if you have it a few years before it goes bung you'll find by then it will probably be 3/4 of the price to replace with something 3 times better.....

Given my love of my D80, you won't be disappointed with the D90.

Gregg Bell
07-02-2010, 2:02am
Thanks for the replies!

All of the technical talk seems a bit overwhelming at the moment, but the more I research the more I start to understand it.

Landscapes is mostly what I will be shooting.

Grey market imports are refurbished cameras from overseas im guessing? Meaning no warranty etc. Who retails them? Is it smart to get warranty? Obviously if you don't take care of it and something goes wrong it pays to have it, but providing the appropriate care is taken, is there anything that can go really wrong? If not I have no problems with buying S/H.

The more I read about the D90 the more I am liking them. It seems the smarter way to go, both financially and I won't feel the need to upgrade for a while. The more I read second hand also seems like the top option.

Apart from these forums is Ebay the place to be looking for second hand gear?

Thanks

The D90 is getting on it won't be long till nikon come up with another replacement.

D70 - April 2004
D80 - September 2006
D90 - October 2008

I sense there will be another new mid range camera this year, and Nikon might announce it sooner then you think. However if you want this camera, then get it, just remember in a two years time it will end up becoming obsolete. It also only leaves you $300 at most to spend on a lens, to do not only landscapes, but portraits. $300 just won't cut it, you'd probably be looking at a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 which I think is $450.

If I were in your shoes and I'd really want the D90, I would consider pushing your budget a bit more, for a decent lens. The whole point and purpose of owning an SLR is because it has interchangeable lens, as opposed to a fixed lens.

As for grey imports they're generally imported form countries where they are retailed cheaper, so they can therefore make a profit on them for selling less. If you buy from DWI, you can buy MACK 3 year warranty, where the warranty is covered under MACK.

darkc
07-02-2010, 12:25pm
If the Nikon feels better in your hand then thats the one. I started in the digital age with a D80 and thats exactly why I chose Nikon. I have never looked back. I a do agree if you can stretch the budget for a D90 then that would be the way to go you should be able to pick one up at a good price since it's due for an update soon.

Grey market cameras are new but have warranty from the country of purchase, so if something goes wrong you will have to send it back to that country. I have friends who buy grey market all the time and are happy with their purchases but nothing has gone wrong yet! Alternatively here is the MACK warranty but I have heard mixed feedback from this option.

Rick
10-02-2010, 1:15pm
Thanks for the input :)

Still undecided about whether I should buy new or used and even what camera to buy. I suppose ill just sit tight until something pops up second hand with some warranty.

I'm contemplating buying something like a D3000/5000 or D40/60 as it is cheaper, and buy a couple of lenses. Can always buy a better body later. Then on the other hand I could just buy something decent to start with and not have to worry about upgrading for a long time. I'm leaning towards midrange S/H gear.

Also, when buying second hand lenses, can they be subject to stuffing up due to lots of use, even if taken care of?

rellik666
10-02-2010, 1:43pm
Hi Rick,

firstly come along on Wednesday, you can have a play. I am sure people will let you have a shoot and a feel!

Secondly, at the end of the day it is the lenses that are going to cost you and the rate at which technology is moving bodies are upgraded so quickly. I would stick with a second hand beginner body. I recently went from the D50 to the D300s and it is a big jump, I have learnt loads but I think if I had gone straight to the D300 it would have overwhelmed me.

There is no Auto on the semi pro bodies, so it can be a bit frustrating when you mess up that one shot cause you forget to change the settings!

I had no idea if the D50 has an internal motor or not, but it is not something I noticed at the beginning anyhow, so I wouldn't worry about it...

My advice is get a cheap body, D60/40/80/70/50 whatever and buy a nice general purpose lens. I second the 18-200VR as good walk around lens. Great for learning and gives you a good range. (it is pretty expensive but you should get a good second hand one) And find out what you enjoy taking shots of. I started off thinking I would like to do animals and landscapes, now I find that I really love Urban shots and wide angle shots....

Finally...join us on Wed! :) 7pm St Kilda Pier!

Roo

ollie
10-02-2010, 2:53pm
i love my D80:D

Rick
10-02-2010, 3:15pm
Good reply Rellik.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Buy a second hand beginner body and buy some nice new lenses? Then once I have learnt the body and ready to move on I can upgrade. Do you people recommend buying new or second hand lenses?

Rick
10-02-2010, 3:39pm
Also how does the D60 compare to the D3000/5000?

Gregg Bell
10-02-2010, 3:57pm
Also how does the D60 compare to the D3000/5000?

Very little in it. D5000 has some new features, like a flip LCD, more ISO settings, though to be frank, its not a big deal imo. I only use 100/125/160/200/400. The D60 has 100/200/400/800/1600/3200. However you can make ISO 125 by selecting ISO 100 and +0.3 EV exposure.

All cameras have the same settings, the D3000 has tutorials on ti, but the tutorials on here are just as good. the sensor is the exact same, and the D5000 can record 5 minute videos. That's all there is in it I think.

D60 is a very good camera. you could allocate the AE-lock button to change the ISO instead of going into the menu.

rellik666
10-02-2010, 4:17pm
Depends on the Lens I think...lenses don't really drop in value so sometimes it can just as cheap to buy new. But sometimes you can get a gem that is no longer available new.

Sometimes you can get a really cheap second hand lens, like the kit lens 18-55mm is pretty reasily available, is good starter lens and can be cheap and cheerful.

I would suggest that getting cheap new lenses can be a bit of white elephant as you will get frustrated with them....and anyhow you are on here! Do some research and then come and ask...look how much info you get! ;)

Roo

I @ M
10-02-2010, 5:45pm
Very little in it.

Not quite correct, the D60 has a CCD sensor and the D5000 has the CMOS sensor which is a better option in this day and age with Nikon. That point alone makes the D5000 more desireable.

Willz
10-02-2010, 8:46pm
Definitely the D80, it is situated well above 450D (towards 40D)

Rick
10-02-2010, 11:29pm
How do the two sensors differ and what do they do? Even if I was to get a D80 im sure even they still had the 'CCD' sensor dont they?

I @ M
11-02-2010, 5:20am
Rick, the sensor is the "film" of the digital camera, the bit that records the image first off.
The D80 shares the same / similar CCD sensor to the D60 and the D200.
Nikon now uses CMOS sensors in all models except for the D3000.
There is nothing radically wrong with CCD sensors but from what I can see the CMOS sensors are better at handling high ISO values in conjunction with the newer processors being fitted to cameras now and are just another step in the evolutionary process of digital cameras.

See if you can make it to the Melbourne meet on the 17th that they have organised and have a cuppa and a chat with a few members there regarding gear, there should be a fair variety of it on hand and some advice to go with it. :)

Rick
17-03-2010, 9:38pm
Still havent got anything guys!

My wage top up has been a little late and a few other things have had to been paid for, so hopefully it should only be about 2 weeks longer. Figured that I sort of don't want to get anything more than say a cheapish D60 until I hone my skills a little more! I figure I may as well just spend money on a couple of nice lenses that I can use when I upgrade the body later on down the track.

I should just buy lenses with AutoFocus motors built in yes?

If anybody has a D60 with all original boxes for sale, PLEASE, let me know!

Thanks alot :)

Rick
24-03-2010, 10:54pm
Ok so on the look out at the moment for a camera. Seeing as I don't have enough posts on here to post a WTB thread i'm having a look on Ebay.

Are these reasonable?

$539 - Refurbished D60 body with original boxing etc. No lenses.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D60-Body-only-10-2MP-Warranty_W0QQitemZ270548435856QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item3efdf18390#ht_3894wt_1165

$750 Buy now price - D60 with 3 lenses, all original boxing and some warranty left
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D60-digital-SLR-camera_W0QQitemZ110510696252QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item19baf3673c#ht_654wt_1165

$600 Buy now price - D60 Body and 18-55mm VR Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-SLR-D60-18-55mm-VR-Kit_W0QQitemZ270550598358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item3efe1282d6#ht_500wt_1182

$550 Buy now price - D80 Body only with a few extras
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D80-Body-Only-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ230451655459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Digital_Cameras?hash=item35a7fd3323#ht_549wt_1165

Just to name a few. Would I be better off spending more of my budget on say a D80 and buy some cheap kit lenses to get grounded, or get say a cheap D60 with some lenses and go from there?

Being a beginner I cant really justify getting anything more than a entry level camera until I improve my skills. Any helpful feedback that can help me decide on the smartest path would be great.

Also if somebody could tell me what prices I should expect to pay for D60/D70/D80/D90? S/H. Not too sure.. If you know of some deals in Melbourne that would suit me please let me know!! My budget is around $800-1000. Prefer to keep it on the lower side of things, being a beginner.

Thanks alot guys!!

maccaroneski
24-03-2010, 11:16pm
I am a D90 owner after having originally had a D60.

Those prices for D60s look a little high. In particular, stay away from the second one you have listed - those lenses, not being the VR versions, can be had dirt cheap. The 70-300 in particular has a pretty bad rep. And I'm not exactly sure what a "generic 0.42 fish eye" is, but it sounds nasty.

If I were you I would look at this:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1792

plus this:

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=1792

Add a 4GB Sandisk SD card for $20 bucks, and you are almost bang on the $1000 mark, and you'll be good to go for 6 months to a year unless lens lust gets the better of you.

For me that's the best value body going around at the moment, it lacks nothing in terms of sensor quality and the like, does video even (if you think you might like that) and you won't grow out of it for a few years. I grew out of my D60 in precisely 3 months.

And no matter what camera you buy everyone pretty much recommends a "fast 50" (i.e. a 50mm lens with a low number as the minimum aperture - in this case, 1.8).

That combo will let you take portraits, low light shots, landscapes (at a pinch) and even some fast action stuff (although obviously 50mm is neither big in zoom terms nor wide as far as landscapes and the like go).

If I had my time over that's what I would have done, and saved myself a bunch of cash in the process, as I am now upgrading kit lenses for better ones etc etc...

nick351
24-03-2010, 11:54pm
Rick I've sent you a PM regarding second hand D90.

Rick
25-03-2010, 9:40am
Thanks alot macca! Thats the sort of response I was after. From the sounds I maybe better off spending slightly more on the body (D90) and a ##### or two to get me started..

Nick, PM replied!

Rick
25-03-2010, 9:42am
BTW Macca, the two links you put up are the same!

maccaroneski
25-03-2010, 10:13am
BTW Macca, the two links you put up are the same!

Oops!

Here's the one for the lens.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=118

Rick
28-03-2010, 10:31pm
Thanks Macca.

I've had an offer for a D90 + lens for roughly $1000 incl. postage.

In my mind I would be better off getting a new Body and lens from DWI. Should I bother getting the MACK diamond warranty or whatever it is? Obviously its another $217 so that blows the price out. Should I just stick with the $77 option? Or not bother at all?

For the sake of a hundred or so dollars I would rather buy new gear. IMO s/h would only be really worth its while if it was a bit of a bargain!

At the end of the day i'm in two minds about warranty and whether its worth it. From what I can understand the link to the D90 on DWI is a 'grey import' and therefor has no warranty what so ever? Can anybody clarify?

Thanks in advance. Just want to know 100% my options before I blow some money...

maccaroneski
28-03-2010, 11:27pm
Check out these two threads:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39556&highlight=grey+import+warranty

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=38559&highlight=grey+import+warranty

And you will either know everything there is to know OR be even more confused. Possibly both :)

Rick
29-03-2010, 10:56pm
Brand new D90 from DWI seems to be the go! Think i'll pass on the 3 yr warranty, as after a year apparently the grey market imports get treated the same as Aust. delivered and you have to pay for repairs, regardless...

Figured I may as well buy a NEW D90 for a price very similar to S/H especially if either have warranty!

Don't plan on throwing it at any brick walls within a years time lol!

Has anybody gone with the 3 yr warranty and have you had to exercise it yet? How has it been dealt with?

Does DWI have a warranty/repair place in Australia?

Thanks guys!

PS - Price of the body alone with postage + insurance was about $890!

maccaroneski
30-03-2010, 12:45am
Got another link for ya...

http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/budgeting/extended-warranty.htm

J.davis
30-03-2010, 3:01pm
Australian Warranty shop that you can organise yourself. They are in Brisbane.
http://www.camerawarranty.com.au/

Rick
30-03-2010, 9:49pm
Thanks once again guys! Going to put an order through tomorrrow!

J.Davis, they do warranty on imports too im guessing?

J.davis
31-03-2010, 1:13pm
They carry on after the manufactures warranty runs out.

Rick
31-03-2010, 8:53pm
Just put an order through for a Nikon D90 through DWI :D

smallfooties
03-04-2010, 11:34pm
If you were in Perth, i would tell you to go to camera electronics as they have second hand gear for sale... But then shops wanna make a profit so it might be more expensive than say a private seller.
I just got the D200 and it's a work horse! I think it's like a semi pro camera or one with features suited for professionals. Sorry... my brain is has been atrophying so i may not be making sense. haha...
I'm not sure but have you looked at the d200 in terms of feel and function? My current set up is D200 with Sigma 18 - 50 f2.8 and it's great for what i shoot... but i think the lens doesn't suit landscapes which you like to do?
By the way, i bought the D200 second hand from the shop and the lens brand new... To me i think it is better to buy lens brand new cos if you get from places like ebay, the lens condition might not be accurately to what is described in the ad - i.e. lens fungus, scratches etc. So i think best bet is to buy brand new or from a reputable forum like this.
Do i make sense? I hope so...
All the best!
oh please ignore my entry... hahaha... didn't read that you already went for the d90... well done!

Rick
09-04-2010, 5:40pm
Recieved my D90 through the week.

I was very happy with DWI! Fast delivery and great communication! I'm going to pick up a Nikon 50 f1.8 and start shooting with that. If I can find some stock lens' for cheap ill pick those up too. If anybody has anything let me know!

Cheers :D

maccaroneski
09-04-2010, 6:05pm
Nice one Rick. Can't wait to see some images.

michael_sa
09-04-2010, 6:12pm
Congrats Rick, I'm positive you won't be disappointed.

BTW, I've only just read this thread for the first time - there's been some great advise offered here that I'm sure would help others in a similar situation.
I reckon all who have offered opinions & advise here deserve a pat on the back.

Michael

Rick
10-04-2010, 12:16pm
I agree, the advice has been spot on! Thank you to everyone :)

Hopefully this thread will help out some other people looking for their first camera!

Blueywa
26-04-2010, 9:04pm
If some of you need more, check out - http:www.steves-Digital Cameras.com/ - I found the information there helped me.