PDA

View Full Version : Flickr - hard to use?

TheGuru
02-02-2010, 2:34pm
Does anyone else find Flickr hard to use/navigate/browse and find what your looking for? I think the Google one is much better but they only allow images up to a certain size, like Facebook which is no good for photographers, only tourist snaps. I do think though, that Yahoo should up their game if they want to hang onto this community because you never know whats going to happen next on the internet.

A good example is that I was looking for my friends photostream and tried clicking his name in messages however it provides no link, I had to search for him which involved remembering how to spell his very long Italian name. I find these small discrepancies on a daily basis and don't even browse groups anymore because you can only look forward or back one image at a time.

Sigh. :(

I @ M
02-02-2010, 3:24pm
Flikr seems to have become a pseudo social networking site for those that have unlimited time on the net. :(
There are far far better hosts out there to use Guru, some require a membership fee but the ease of use and features are worth it for many.
Have a look at Smugmug (http://www.smugmug.com/) for starters.

maccaroneski
02-02-2010, 4:29pm
A good example is that I was looking for my friends photostream and tried clicking his name in messages however it provides no link

Sigh. :(

If you mean from flickr mails, can't you just copy and paste his name into the search box?

If you have a message from him with his name in it why do you have to remember how to spell it?

HansPeter
02-02-2010, 5:17pm
I’m having problems with Flicker, yes I find Flicker hard to use. Plus there is no help so I no longer party with Flicker.
Mention Facebook I’m afraid is a odder maggot ! I keep getting messages telling me people wont to be my friends very annoying if you are a hermit! I like to chose my one friends, odder hermits preferably Female Hermits ?

Harrier
02-02-2010, 6:10pm
It takes awhile to learn Flickr. I am just starting to learn this one. Perhaps your friend does not go under his real name?

Bassia
02-02-2010, 7:12pm
I am a regular user of Flickr and have posted over 100 photos (mainly of birds). Some of these photos are 10Meg in size. You get to know some people with a common interest and share opinions. I really enjoy using it and once you find your way it is simple to upload and join groups.

MattC
02-02-2010, 7:35pm
I have just joined Flickr after a long time thinking it a waste of space - so far I am yet to be convinced, but from what I can tell, like most things, the more you put in, the more you get out of it.

As far as navigating, I haven't really found it that difficult - those that you know you make as friends, that way you can always get in contact easily.

What I have noticed, and that really annoys me is all those stupid logos such as "This is a star" etc, etc posted in the comments.

Flash Hit
02-02-2010, 9:00pm
Hi Hansi,
Try Edited till suitability is determined.
Greg

davesmith
03-02-2010, 7:12pm
It's only as difficult as you want to make it. I don't think it's become a pseudo social network site - it always was to start with, or tried to be. If you want to get into that side of it it's probably not ideal. Ultimately it depends on what you plan on using it for. I simply use it for exposure with low res, framed and watermarked images which works great if your images are appropriately keyworded. If an image or photostream isn't keyworded well, nobody will find them anyway. I wouldn't want to be uploading full size images online unless they're for sale and secure with those sizes, so image restrictions on this, or similar sites, is a non-issue for me.

TheGuru
03-02-2010, 9:33pm
Yeah, I like what Flickr is and the idea behind it but I would have thought for a site that has a fee (pro account) and so many users it hasn't changed much over the years in terms of usability. Picasa + Picasa web is quite amazing in that sense but the community just isn't there.

ricktas
04-02-2010, 6:59am
Yeah, I like what Flickr is and the idea behind it but I would have thought for a site that has a fee (pro account) and so many users it hasn't changed much over the years in terms of usability. Picasa + Picasa web is quite amazing in that sense but the community just isn't there.

Picasa has big issues. You cannot link photos from Picasa to other sites (like AP). What google have done with picasa is make the image links 'dynamic'. The link to your photos changes about every hour. So you could link your picasa photo to another site, and within an hour or two the link is broken. Many have experienced this and we believe google do it to control bandwidth usage.