PDA

View Full Version : Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash.

Ozzi Paul
01-02-2010, 2:24pm
Just wondering if anyone has this flash or used it and what your opinions are concerning this flash. I will be using it on my Pentax K20D. It seems to do what I would want from a flash but interested in hearing from people who have experience with it. It will be used for indoor shots and some outdoor fill flash, as well as some other stuff here and there that I may try it for. Thanks.

elyshiamadison
19-09-2010, 12:45am
I know this is a really old post - but I have the Metz as well.... it's a great flash, I'm slowly finding my way around and playing with it manual now.

I noticed in your signature that you went ahead and brought it ;)

Ozzi Paul
23-09-2010, 7:32pm
Thanks, yeah I got the flash not to long after the post. Really happy with it and find it easy to use although still have a lot of learning to do. Thought I had a problem with it yesterday though, kept having the letters "err" popping up on the screen and it wouldn't make the camera switch to the flash sync speed when I higher shutter speed was selected before turning the flash on. It ended up being the batteries, I put some new ones in at it was all good again. Looking at getting some cheap Yongnuo RF 602 wireless triggers/receivers & YN 560 flash now so they should be good to use with the Metz 48.

elyshiamadison
23-09-2010, 10:38pm
I just ordered triggers they should be here tomorrow, along with light stand and brolly ;)

I am sure I read somewhere that the pentax will trigger the Metz with it's on board flash - something Canon's won't do unless you have the 7d :(

The sensor is on the side of the flash - if you turn the Metz on slave mode (the instructions for that are in the manual), the wireless sensor kicks in (you can see it's working flashing red) - give it a go, might save you a few bucks on the wireless trigger for a bit longer!

Ozzi Paul
23-09-2010, 11:31pm
Yeah, its a good option but I also want to mount the flashes and use the white shoot through umbrellas so would prefer the 2.4Ghz radio triggers. Also will probably do some images where the flash won't be in line of sight so for different situations I think the triggers will be a better option. I am going to try out the IR wireless setup with the Metz flash as a slave though like you mentioned. I have a couple of people that want some images done but I want a decent setup before I do them so the Yongnuo gear will be a good cheap option.

elyshiamadison
24-09-2010, 1:29pm
My triggers the RF-602's just arrived - thought I'd let you know, although they aren't listed as compatible with the Metz ... they WORK!!! Gonna have some fun tonight with them ;)

Ozzi Paul
24-09-2010, 8:32pm
Good luck with them. Did you get the pack for the Nikon or the Canon. From what I understand the Nikon Tx is better to use with a Pentax camera, you just have to order the Canon PC sync cord with it instead of the Nikon cord. Do you know about holding the Tx button half down (so green light is on, on the Tx mounted to hotshoe) while taking a picture to get 1/180sec & 1/160 sec sync speeds without the shadow at the bottom of the images. If not held down, you may get a shadow from the shutter curtain.

elyshiamadison
24-09-2010, 10:23pm
I ordered the Canon one...

No I didn't know about the half press, I'm downloading images right now from tonight - I'll see if they have banding (I had 1/200th - didn't seem to be any on my LCD) I'll start a new thread an show you a couple from tonight.

I know nothing about the Pentax unfortunately, but I'm sure someone else on here will know about them in relation to the triggers!

elyshiamadison
24-09-2010, 11:00pm
I posted up two pics here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=686866#post686866)

I didn't crop them - as you can see there is no banding that I could tell ;) They were both shot at 1/200th

Ozzi Paul
25-09-2010, 11:34am
The banding may only be with the Pentax because there is no dedicated RF 602 unit to suit them so have to use the Canon or Nikon version. I think the Canon version is better suited to the Pentax, the 450, 500 & 550D has the same flash sync cord socket. The half press is probably just for Pentax to.

elyshiamadison
01-10-2010, 11:15am
On a slightly dofferent tangent, for your future reference... the Metz will optically trigger the cheapy Yongnuo YN560 Manual Speedlite flash (in wireless slave mode) - hasn't misfired once on me YET lol.

It won't work the other way around though, with Metz as slave.

Ozzi Paul
07-10-2010, 11:15pm
Thanks, thats good to know. I just ordered the RF 602 Tx & Rx units so will see how they go with the 48 when they arrive and will then order the YH 560 flash. Will need to get some cheap stands and umbrellas to use the flashes with now to I guess.

elyshiamadison
08-10-2010, 1:09am
haha - I know it never ends, I think, myself, I have an addiction..... lenses, lights, and bodies ;)
Got my stands from protog (their sturdy, and weren't too expensive)

Ozzi Paul
10-10-2010, 4:24pm
I will have to check out the protog place & see what they have.
I have seen a few good umbrellas and stands so its just a matter of working out which ones will be better for me. As long as they are strong and sturdy & easy to use I will be happy.