PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Screen Protector for 50D - where to get them from?

XR6Dan
31-01-2010, 8:05pm
I scratched the living crap out of my rear screen on the weekend. I had the camera around my back, just at the right height of the metal button on my back pocket. The damage is mostly to the anti-reflective coating as I can't feel the scratches with my fingernail, but it looks bad.

I've found a few websites that have instructions for changing the rear screen protector, but can find a source to buy them from.

The Canon part numbers are CB3-4949-000 for the protector and CB3-4948-000 for the gasket and seem to be in the $50 range. These are from a 5DMk2, but I assume they'll fit a 50D?

Does anyone know where I can get these from. I'll be calling Canon on monday to try but are there other sources?

Thanks.

Bill44
01-02-2010, 10:31am
Have a look on ebay for GGS screen protectors, they are cheap but extremely good.

XR6Dan
01-02-2010, 1:59pm
Got a response for Canon regarding the screen. Part numbers for 50D are:
CB3-3764 for the double sided tape, $2.50+GST
CB3-5014 for the 'display window', $33.39+GST

Pretty cheap for photography gear spare parts IMO. Nice not having to hand over the first born for a change.

For reference, I got these from Parts Overnight ph.1800 814 450.

etherial
01-02-2010, 7:25pm
Out of interest do people put those plastic film protectors over the screens? I have used them on my PDA's and phones for years and wondered about putting one on my camera screen. Has anyone done this?

milspec
01-02-2010, 9:04pm
Out of interest do people put those plastic film protectors over the screens? I have used them on my PDA's and phones for years and wondered about putting one on my camera screen. Has anyone done this?

I did use the one's you can buy from Ted's, it was crap. I ended up buying one from eBay. It's glass and is multi-coated. There is a adhesive ring around the perimeter that doesn't touch the original screen and is very thin. Big thumbs up to this :wd:

etherial
01-02-2010, 9:06pm
I'm thinking more of the plastic film ones you put on your touchscreen pda's or iPhones etc

phild
01-02-2010, 10:51pm
I had a protective aftermarket screen (plastic) on my 50D and have one now on my 5DII, bought from HK, cost only a few $ worth every cent.

rwg717
02-02-2010, 10:11pm

They are fairly cheap on Ebay....I put a solid glass (I suppose that's what it is?) one on my 50D...bit tricky to fit but I hardly notice that its there. The other Canon gear only got the el-cheapo flexible ones, you get an occasional bubble in them but doesn't bother me, scratch them and just peel off and apply a new one.:food04:
Richard

MichP
18-11-2010, 1:54pm
Thanks XR6Dan,
I left my 50D on my desk and the temptation was just too great for my kids. The result was a cracked rear screen protector.
Fortunately the rest of the camera survived and is still in working order.
Your post was the solution to ordering the replacement bits needed.