PDA

View Full Version : Channels in CS3 not B&W

clm738
30-01-2010, 9:19pm
Help Please,
I have been trying to learn Channel Mask in CS3 but everytime I select the channels tab they are all in colour and all the tutorials have them in B&W.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

ricktas
30-01-2010, 9:31pm
From memory (I use CS4) there is a monochrome check box on the channels window, you need to tick that.

DAdeGroot
30-01-2010, 9:41pm
Help Please,
I have been trying to learn Channel Mask in CS3 but everytime I select the channels tab they are all in colour and all the tutorials have them in B&W.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

If it's what I think you're referring to, you need to deselect the channels you don't want.

So deselect Red & Green to see the Blue channel, etc...

clm738
30-01-2010, 9:52pm
Thanks Rick & Dave. I did both as you suggested.
Rick I checked the monochrome box but all it did was give me a greyscale channel with a red, green, and blue overlay.
Dave I tried deselecting all of the channels one at a time but all it did way give me that colour overlay.
I know this is something basic but can't find it anywhere on the net.

DAdeGroot
30-01-2010, 11:58pm
Thanks Rick & Dave. I did both as you suggested.
Rick I checked the monochrome box but all it did was give me a greyscale channel with a red, green, and blue overlay.
Dave I tried deselecting all of the channels one at a time but all it did way give me that colour overlay.
I know this is something basic but can't find it anywhere on the net.

I've done up a quick screen grab video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20NW5PEMxgQ

Is this what you mean ?

(give it 10 mins, Youtube says it's still processing Video now live)

clm738
31-01-2010, 12:55am
Thanks Dave,
I haden't seen that particular you tube video. But, yes, at the start all the channels come up as those colours on the photo when selected but then I can't get all the channels to go grey like they do near the end of the video.
Sorry I took so long to answer, didn't realise it was so late, been trying to figure it out.

clm738
31-01-2010, 12:59am
Every video, everyone just clicks on channels and RBG comes up in colour and the 3 channels underneath come up in black and white. Mine come up with a colour filter type thing over the top of the 3 channels.

ricktas
31-01-2010, 7:03am
What are you trying to achieve with the processing. Are you wanting a mono photo at the end?

DAdeGroot
31-01-2010, 9:48am
Thanks Dave,
I haden't seen that particular you tube video. But, yes, at the start all the channels come up as those colours on the photo when selected but then I can't get all the channels to go grey like they do near the end of the video.
Sorry I took so long to answer, didn't realise it was so late, been trying to figure it out.

Care to take some screen shots of what you're doing so we have a better idea ?

On a Mac, Shift-Apple-4 will give you a cursor to select what part of the screen to grab (saves to Desktop by default), on Windows you're stuck with ALT-Print Screen to capture the whole window (into your cut-n-paste buffer).

clm738
31-01-2010, 10:43am
Trying to change background from photo of grandson and put in a texture maybe. Thought this was the best way to go because of his wispy bits of hair. Am I on the right track?

ricktas
31-01-2010, 10:49am
Ah, try these two tutorials on making a selection of complex objects (grandson in this instance..hehe)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28895

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34089

Scotty72
31-01-2010, 10:55am
EDIT - PREFERENCES - INTERFACE (uncheck the SHOW CHANNELS IN COLOUR box)

This works in CS4 -- CS3 - let's hope so.

clm738
31-01-2010, 11:29am
Scotty your'e a darling, thank you, thank you. This has been driving me crazy, I would never have found it in a million years.
Rick, thank you for all your time in trying to sort this out. I will check out the tutorials.
Dave, thank you for all your time and effort also.