PDA

View Full Version : Focusing Screens - do you use alternates?

Kym
29-01-2010, 12:11pm
I've got an after market focusing screen.
Specifically this one "Rule of Thirds" split image microprism focusing screen for PENTAX K-7. (http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_100&products_id=855).

Who else uses alternate screens?

I like the split prism for manual focus!
My 1977 vintage MX has one and I have one on my K20D as well.

FYI There are three main alternates that I've found:
a) Katz-eye (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/)
b) Focusing Screens (http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php)
c) Other eBay cheapies

So what are your experiences?

arthurking83
29-01-2010, 12:42pm
I voted yes I use one, but with the caveat that I use to use it on my D70s(when I used that camera in anger).

I'd love to get a KatzEye for the D300, as I have a few manual focus lenses that will benefit from them, especially the 500 mirror, as the split microprism centre spot blackout is delayed beyond f/8.
This was very annoying with the cheapie($30) ebay cheapie I got for the D70s, but it worked well for the other MF lenses I have.

My only reservation about getting the KatzEye immediately is that I read a bit more about focusing screen a while back and was alerted to another manufacturer(in the UK) that uses Canon focusing screens. Apparently these are a little better, and there are more variations on the split screen other than the standard half split that KatzEye have.
Besides a D700 is at the top of my to get list, so I'm probably better off waiting for that for now.. depending on how easily that body manual focuses.

For now, and in many situations, LiveView is adequate for tripod use.

So from my limited experience, with cheapie crabby focusing screens, I think they're worth the effort, and make manual lenses a much nicer user experience.... which saves a bit of money on lenses down the track too.

Miaow
29-01-2010, 12:45pm
I actually didn't know that you could get them for dslr's I saw some on an old Canon F-1 at Christmas and thought really interesting on that how put them in and it changed the focus view etc:)

farmer_rob
29-01-2010, 12:58pm
I miss the focus screen in my old film camera. The AF on the D40x is limited to three points and there are times it just won't do what I want or need. However, the matte screen is impossible to get razor sharp focus with. (The deliberate removal of split screens was a retrograde step IMO.)

I've been toying with buying a KatzEye for a while - they have quite a few different arrangments - but have also being toying with buying a new camera :confused013.

dbax
29-01-2010, 12:59pm
I just use what came with the camera but those Katz eye"s remind me of the screen on my first SLR many...many years ago, a second hand Practika, it was a very easy(read accurate) manual focus with that screen.

MarkW
29-01-2010, 1:53pm
Can't use one - D700 isn't capable of alternate screens.

Topgunn
29-01-2010, 2:12pm
I ticked aftermarket as that was the only yes option but what I have is actually a Pentax ME Super screen that I cut down to fit my camera. I found the tip on the net somewhere and knew I could handle the job. I bought 2 for $5 delivered off a guy that services SLR's and its been excellent. I was having trouble with my MF lens and this has helped immensely and the only problem i have found is if you want to pan you have to have the focus somewhere near what you need so you can see what your trying to shoot. It has also helped in making sure the AF has focused on what I want it to.

Kym
29-01-2010, 2:29pm
Live View does change things.
The K-7 lets you zoom in on the LV and then I manually focus - which is great for static tripod shots.
But for other MF situations I love the prism.

Colourised
29-01-2010, 2:35pm
ticked No, but may use one in the future,

like others have been contemplating on getting one for the D60 then im still undecided whether i shud go for it. either the ones from katzeye or the cheaper alternative from focusingscreens.com

:S help?

DAdeGroot
29-01-2010, 3:03pm
I didn't vote because although I use an alternative ficus screen, it is s genuine Canon accessory. I used the Eg-D grid screen.

fillum
29-01-2010, 3:11pm
Been thinking about a Katz Eye for a while for split prism manual focusing (D300). A bit nervous about the install procedure however.
I'll check out your alternate product link as well...

Cheers.

Avalon
29-01-2010, 3:12pm
I voted No.
Although I used a Katzeye with my D80, when I upgraded to D300 I didn't feel the need to have anything additional.
Live View makes all the difference, otherwise I use Auto Focus.

farmer_rob
29-01-2010, 4:57pm

Katzeye have a focus screen for the D700. Link: (Katzeye D700) (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Nikon-D700-Focusing-Screen--prod_D700.html)

MarkW
29-01-2010, 7:30pm
Irrespective of what Katz offer, the Hogan user guide said it was not possible to change the focus screen. Whilst it may be possible, I'm not going to play with it and run the risk of stuffing something up.

jev
29-01-2010, 7:42pm
I'ld really love to have a split-screen in my camera's, but afaik there are none for Canon's FF camera's http://cosgan.de/images/midi/traurig/a045.gif

Jcas
29-01-2010, 7:59pm
I installed the Canon EF-D in my 40D, it is the one showing the grid which makes framing, straight horizons etc all so much easier, less cropping during pp.

Spoz
30-01-2010, 12:20am

Yeah they are, see here for instructions: http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d700en.htm

I recently bought a cheap ebay one for my D90. Paid less than $25 including postage, because I wasn't convinced I'd like the split screen. It arrived scratched and covered in black fibres, but I cleaned it up and installed it anyway. It seems like it would be useful for certain types of photos and less useful for others. The seller is sending a replacement but I'm not sure I'll end up using it.

MarkW
30-01-2010, 10:12am
Yeah they are, see here for instructions: http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d700en.htm

I recently bought a cheap ebay one for my D90. Paid less than $25 including postage, because I wasn't convinced I'd like the split screen. It arrived scratched and covered in black fibres, but I cleaned it up and installed it anyway. It seems like it would be useful for certain types of photos and less useful for others. The seller is sending a replacement but I'm not sure I'll end up using it.

Thanks for that, but I'm not going to risk a $3k camera to a set of instructions written in INGRISH :eek:

chrisbevan4
30-01-2010, 10:23am
I never realised that you could change the focus screen,
installation would be stressful for me.

Cant think of a current situation where I would use one:confused013,
but that may change in the future.

mcdesign
30-01-2010, 10:26am
Certainly sounds like a great idea, I have it on my old Nikon FM Series 2 and like it, not confidant in installing one though! I use LiveView for tricky manual focusing making the object as large as I can, eye sight has taken a bashing this past year so use it more and more.

farmer_rob
30-01-2010, 4:18pm
Thanks for that, but I'm not going to risk a $3k camera to a set of instructions written in INGRISH :eek:

I looked at the Katzeye site, and their installation instructions said something like: "These instructions are for the d300, but it is the same on the d700".

I'd be a bit wary too, Mark.

(Although I think the "can't change focus screen" is not really correct - in spite of Thom Hogan being the source. According to the web, it seemed to take a bit of time before aftermarket screens were available, and Katzeye seemed to be unwilling to produce one for a while. Perhaps "can't change" meant "nothing to change to"?)

Kym
30-01-2010, 4:40pm
Katz eye instructions are in real english.
Focusing screens .com are in ingrish :D

arthurking83
30-01-2010, 7:38pm
Changing a focusing screen is a doddle.
You do need to be careful, unlike myself who rushes the job and scratches his focusing screen with the long pointy nosed pliers! :eek:

I've done it regularly(as in on and off) to make sure it was helping or hindering, on the D70s and never had any mishaps.
The scratch I produced on my D300 screen was during removal of the screen whilst attempting to clean out the innards of the focusing prism area form fine hair/dust. makes no difference to the operation of the camera tho.

The only caveat in CHANGING screens is that it may be out of alignment for manually focusing. It may or may not have shims to be aware of, and the alternate screen may or may not need them.
Once fitted testing is required to be sure the manual focus confirmation dot is aligned correctly(Nikon specific).. and that's quite easy too.

Mark(W) I;m sure you'd be more than capable of changing your focus screen.
have a look/feel around for a rectangular shaped wire retaining clip around the perimeter of the screen(within the mirror box of course). There's a small raised section of that retaining wire that is used to hook something thin and sturdy under that section(small electronics type long pointy noised pliers, not the thicker mechanics/electricians type).
On the D300, this simply clips out at the front end, and is levered out of the way, by way of a hinged retainer at the back of the body, and then the camera is turned right way up and the screen falls out.
I use a Pec Pad to capture the screen, blow out the prism box so that there is no dust, make ssure there is a very fine(shiny) shim on the inner perimeter of the prism area.. etc, etc and clip it back in place. should take approx 5-10mins once you've worked out what/where/and how everything is organised.
The screen can only be fitted one way, by means of a small tab along one of the longer edges. That tab on the screen itself is held with a pair of tweezers, so there's no need to touch the screen itself.
The hardest part is clipping the retaining wire back in place. Too much pressure can lead to slip ups, and possibly a scratched screen :p

One day I'll post a quick'n'dirty how too.. but I need to get myself a can of air to clean the prism out too.

jibbonpoint
30-01-2010, 8:50pm
I confess that I bought the cheapie, instructions are OK at best, no tools but after the anxiety of fitting it works great.

Pentax K10D

Colourised
31-01-2010, 12:26am
jibbon: does it black out easily? im pretty worried abt that matter tho.

since my only workhorse lens is either the 35 1.8 or 10-20! afraid if i turn to the 10-20 it gets too dark too early! :D

jibbonpoint
31-01-2010, 2:08am
jibbon: does it black out easily? im pretty worried abt that matter tho.

since my only workhorse lens is either the 35 1.8 or 10-20! afraid if i turn to the 10-20 it gets too dark too early! :D

It does black out, but I wouldn't say easily. I haven't noticed it hapening particularly with the 10-20. It's better than the one that came with my Ricoh XR-M. (That was circa 1979!!:eek:)

The K10D has focus confirmation which I check & find that it invariably agrees with the split prism.

I have certainly found it an enormous advantage when focusing manually in cases, say, if you are trying to focus on a single particular flower on a bush with a whole bunch.

Gregg Bell
31-01-2010, 2:52am
I don't understand the pros to changing it, is there any? :confused013

Steadyhands
31-01-2010, 8:36am
I've used both the Katz eye and Canon Super Precision Matte screens in my 40D. I use a Canon Super Precision Matte for my 1D3.

I have a Katz Eye Split Prism with the Opti-Bright treatment and found that while it helped to see the critical focus it was a total pain when it came to Manual Focus Macro when I was targeting the focus out of the centre of the screen. The centre is the Split Prism area and this works well if you are using the centre point, but if you use an off centre point or even somewhere else on the screen then it was very hard to see critical focus. It just seemed like there was too much clutter on the view finder. I didn't see that much change in metering but there was some.

As a result of this I removed the Katz Eye from the 40D and purchased the Canon Super Precision Matte screen and it worked much better. It has no split prism but a finer matte that shows Focus/Out of Focus better. Metering with this one was not changed as the camera had a specific setting to to let it know which Canon screen was installed. I assume this subtly compensates the metering to allow for the light loss you get from the screen.

kevinj
31-01-2010, 3:43pm
I really want one of these so I can use my 2xTC with my 100-400mm,my MF skills are poor due to my eyesight being poor,the installation looks easy,is it?Are the Katseye worth double the price of the cheaper versions?

abeluka
18-02-2010, 5:06pm
I got a katz-eye for my 40D.. I have a set of old m42 Takumars, which are lovely lenses, but the focusing screen on the 40D was so bad that more than 2/3rds of my shots missed perfect focus.

I also have a cheap set of extension tubes for macro work, and the screen does help with those shots too.

I got the Katz-eye with the brightening treatment and the rule of thirds grid... it's costly but to me it was worth it.. It has transformed 4 very cheap (on eBay) Takumar manual lenses into a very easily usable lenses.

Because it has let me take proper advantage of the great glass thats out there for less than $50-$100, it has been like spending $200 to save $1000. I have a great 200m f4 prime Takumar lens which is just great now that I can get perfect focus almost every time.

jibbonpoint
18-02-2010, 7:01pm
I don't understand the pros to changing it, is there any? :confused013

There's one enormous pro to using a split prism focusing screen. Ability to focus on an object in a clutter of objects where you want a shallow depth of field i.e a single chilli on a chilli bush & the surround out of focus. The Autofocus doesn't know exactly which chilli or leaf or stick or branch that you really want. The split prism will allow you to tell the camera when to take the shot by manually focusing.

Colourised
19-02-2010, 5:56am
i just hit the buy button on the cheapie focusing screen! i cant helppp ittt. hopefully its gnna b goooood :D

Topgunn
19-02-2010, 8:26am
^ It doesnt really matter if its not. When you buy a cheap one you dont have much to lose apart from just making sure your careful when you install it and do it in a dust free environment. I have never looked back with mine and the pros outweigh the cons 5:1.
Good luck!

Steve Axford
19-02-2010, 11:38am
I didn't vote because although I use an alternative ficus screen, it is s genuine Canon accessory. I used the Eg-D grid screen.
Ditto

tomtom1
06-04-2010, 5:26pm
ef-d focus screen for 40d. It really doesn't have any disadvantage versus stock and is cheap and easy to install.