PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for portfolio

Naz
28-01-2010, 9:29pm
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some ideas for taking shots to include in a portfolio.
I am doing an assignment and I need to construct a portfolio for the tutor to comment on (as if I could start making money from these photos.)

I was think along the lines of sunsets, close ups of zoo animals (which I may need to buy a lens up to 300mm) maybe even some close ups of flowers??

I am really a beginner but what to make the most of this and want these photos to be something my starting point of taking good shots. I currently have a Nikon D60 with 18-55 and 55-200mm VR lenses.

Thanks in advance
Naz

carnige
28-01-2010, 11:35pm
im no professional or any thing but i get the gist that u should stear clear of sunsets as any happy snapper can point a camera at a sun set and it will look good. u can go onto any myspace page and there will be a pic of a sunset. i know a guy who interviews photographers for the advertiser and he has said hes disappointed with photographers put alot of sun set photos in there profiles. im not saying dont have any just dont over do it, other wise people will look at it and think ohh not another sun set...

ricktas
29-01-2010, 6:42am
Here is the question : What is your portfolio saying about you as a photographer?

You need to present your very best work, in the genre(s) that you do. No use putting in sunsets if you want to be known as a portrait photographer etc.

Carnige points out an interesting, but off-topic point. I would say that guy who interviews photographers is doing the wrong job. His job is to interview photographers, not make pre-conceived views based on them having sunsets in their portfolios. I wonder if he does the same with someone who only has baby photos, or wedding photos in their portfolio. His bias is pathetic, and he shouldn't be interviewing photographers.

However, Carnige is right also, show your best photos, show variety, 10 truly great photos are much better than 40 average ones.

Now back to the question "What is your portfolio saying about you as a photographer?", make sure your portfolio reflects who you are/want to be as a photographer.

matilda
29-01-2010, 7:17am
Rick has very good points.

When I started out in photography i was a landscape photographer, so my portfolio was landscapes. Yet when I went to job interviews for portrait work I didn't have any portraits. Don't assume that oh well they can see things in my work.

You need to set up your portfolio in the genre you want to work in.

So right now my portfolio would mostly be babies, kids and children, both posed and unposed, conventional and unconventional.
Make sure your portfolio contains some images in black and white, and a few with pp techniques applied. That way they can see your true range.

jev
29-01-2010, 7:28am
Not only should your portfolio tell the viewer something about you as Rick pointed out, but it also should show your style. If you're just starting out, you probably don't have a signature style yet but if you do find a common line in your images than by all means use them.

Start selecting the best 25 pictures you have. Put these somewhere and do something else. After a day or so, come back and select down to 10. From these 10, be very harsh to yourself and remove the 5 that are less than the others. Look at these carefully. Can you see a clear theme or line?

Also, make sure the portfolio looks great. Reprint if necessary, A3 or larger. Keep it simple, an image with a simple text underneath or so. Nothing should distract from the images! Here (http://www.prophotolife.com/2008/06/19/video-episode-16-tips-for-how-to-make-a-photography-portfolio/) is a video from pro photo life on the subject.

Good luck!

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:14pm
Your portfolio should show your style and your interests - otherwise it will just blend in with the others. Prove you can do the basics - but also show how you are different to everyone else.