PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these 3 tripods should I go for?

silentepilogue
28-01-2010, 11:45am
Giottos MT8351
http://d-d-photographics.com.au/tripods.htm
BENRO C-058 (carbon 8 layers)
http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/itemdetails.asp?id=C-058&rec=1&sql=select+*+from+Item_e1+WHERE+Status%3C%3E%27Hidden%27+and+ItemClass1%3D%27BENRO+Tripod+%26+Ball+head%27+and+ItemClass2%3D%27BENRO%27+and+ItemClass3%3D%27BENR O+CARBON+FIBER+TRIPODS+8+LAYER+C-Series%27&PriceCurrency=1
Velbon Sherpa 803R
http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displayproduct/velbon-sherpa-803r-tripod--2202380_tripods--1001235_.html

Ok guys I need advice.. I will be going on my maiden job trip to W.A. (remote areas). I will predominantly be taking images of people working in mining sites and landscapes. Atm I am using a normal Sony/Nikon tripod which I believe is not sturdy enough so I am looking for a better one.

Apart from knowing the specs of these tripods, I want to know whether anyone have used any of the above? The Giottos and Benro is somewhat of the similar specification (Benro 1 kg less load but weight 600g lighter than Giottos?) and almost similar pricing. The Velbon Sherpa is just a cheaper alternative but heavier at 2.3kg.

What I also want to know is whether a Velbon Sherpa good enough, or does the lighter carbon version a highly recommended option?

Obviously Manfrotto is out of my price range, and at the moment I am leaning towards the Giottos MT8351. I am willing to fork out around $200-$250 on a tripod. Any thoughts? Other recommendation would be appreciated. Cheers guys!

DAdeGroot
28-01-2010, 11:50am
How tall are you ?

The Velbon fully extended goes to 170cm, whereas the other two are around 150cm. You do not want to be hunching over every time you take a photo in order to look through the viewfinder.

Have you also considered the Manfrotto 190XProB and 055XProB legs ? You'd need a head to go with them, but they are very sturdy.

Kym
28-01-2010, 12:01pm
G'Day & Welcome to AP!

We need the following to advise:
- What is the heaviest camera / lens / flash you will use?
- How tall are you? (As Dave asked)

Benro are good. 'frotto are good. Gitzo are the best and expensive.

silentepilogue
28-01-2010, 2:06pm
Hey Dave & Kym, thanks for the reply and warm welcome.

I will be using a D90, my heaviest lens would probably 14-24mm. Flash is an SB600.
As for height I'm about 175cm. Would probably just need something versatile, not too heavy as I will be carrying a Crumpler Brazillion w my macbkpro in it whole day long for a week.

and Dave, would love a frotto but just out of my price range atm.. I've checked those 2 out, with a decent head (which I won't know which is best for my usage) it'll probably totaled up to $500ish.. Would love to window shop and test tripods out but I will be leaving this weekend Sunday, afraid that I won't have ample time.

Giddik
28-01-2010, 2:29pm
I think their all pretty good quality tripods but I personally would choose the Velbon Sherpa. From my experience using one, it is extremely sturdy and well built. I have had no problems with it and I have no fear of breaking it. These things are tough! Hope you can find a good deal ;)

Kym
28-01-2010, 2:50pm
The Sherpa includes a head; the Benro & Giottos heads are additional.
So the height will be about the same.
The Sherpa is the lowest cost option.

DAdeGroot
28-01-2010, 2:57pm
I've got an older Sherpa 450R (backup tripod now, since my main one is the Manfrotto 055). The Velbons are quite a reasonable tripod. Build quality is ok, and if you're not too rough on your gear will give you years of service.

Usually I'd say to get the best you can, since with a tripod a good one will do you for a very long time, whereas cheaping out at the beginning will mean you'll eventually pay way more over time as inevitably you'll end up with the better quality unit sometime in the future. However, given your budget and requirements, the Velbon should do you nicely.

maccaroneski
28-01-2010, 3:03pm
there are some great suggestions here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=48625

HansPeter
29-01-2010, 12:48pm
I wont say to much, one thing don’t save on a tripod! you will regret it later !!
Do you wash your feet with your socks on?

Dylan & Marianne
29-01-2010, 1:15pm
I agree with Hansi's sentiment
Get something that will suit your needs as above, but I wouldn't skimp on quality for a tripod.
If you travel and carry the tripod long distances with you, carbon fibre is very light and I've heard that benro are comparable to gitzo but far cheaper.
If you need something light , sturdy but plan on shooting in windy conditions for long exposures, find one with G-lock capability that you can weigh down.
If you plan on taking panoramas, get a head that will allow you to pan and that will support the weight of your heaviest body/lens set up.

I made the mistake of upgrading tripod bit by bit and as the technique improved, you uncover the flaws of each upgrade step by step. In the end, I've ended up with gitzo tripods and heads -frightfully expensive but haven't had to replace for a long time now and don't plan to!

Bear Dale
29-01-2010, 1:33pm
I'm tall and really like my Manfrotto 055XProB

I wouldn't want to use anything shorter.

hackcessor
29-01-2010, 4:25pm
+3 for the Manfrotto 055XPROB, I have two ball heads with it but prefer the 322RC

Try it, and as others have mentioned. Do not skimp on price

oh btw (I work FIFO in remote WA as well)

nick351
01-02-2010, 11:23pm
+4 on the Manfrotto 055XPROB, i just received it today with the 488 RC2 head.

Bought them brand new from ebay last week for $394 total.

Awesome quality and stability.

David
02-02-2010, 7:31am
I would only say get the best quality one you can afford and don't skip on it if you are going to get a tripod: I wasted money on 3 elcheapo ones before I took the hit in my bank account and came away with one that is super strong, stable, can be used for most types of photography and is easy to operate quickly and without having to look at adjustment bits.