PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop and file size

telecasterguru
27-01-2010, 5:06pm
I hope this is the right thread to put this in.

I have decided that I really enjoy macro photography so I decided to go the whole way and bought a 5D Mark II and a 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro lens.

The problem is that I have an older version of Photoshop and it does not handle the large file size of the new camera. I was using a 1000D with no problem.

When I load the files to save for the web PS stops running and tells me that there is an error.

What I have to decide is, should I now fork out for the latest version of PS or am I better off with something else? Maybe just using the Canon software that came with the camera and being done with it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Miaow
27-01-2010, 5:11pm
What is the error you're getting? might help us work out where the problem lies?

RuthJ
27-01-2010, 5:12pm
It probably isn't photoshop itself that is the problem. How much RAM do you have?

telecasterguru
27-01-2010, 10:48pm
I have 4 gig of ram. I have an Asus MV51A T9400. Vista Ultimate. I will get the exact wording of the error in the morning. It says something like an unexpected error has occurred.

When I have resized the image in a 4 times frame they all go pink and the program stops responding.

If I process the RAW file first in GIMP to shrink its size it seems to be OK and will process normally.

It may be a memory issue but can't see why.

Frank

dbax
27-01-2010, 11:03pm
Hey Frank, Also look at how full your HDD is, you didn't tell us which version of PS you are using? PS uses virtual memory from your HDD as memory so if you have a small or full HDD it can effect the PS works. I've recently installed a second HDD on my comp and selected that almost empty HDD as my virtual drive for PS... man what a difference:D

ricktas
28-01-2010, 6:38am
Save for web is designed to work on SMALL files. My guess is you are using the full size file to try and save.

So you are probably trying to save a file that has dimensions of something like 3500 pixels x 3000 pixels(example only). Save For Web isn't designed to do that, although on newer versions of PS it will work.

How To.

Image > Size > (set your pixel height and width to something like 800/1000) These are good sizes for web display, and what Save For Web is designed for.

Once resized to the smaller size, then use Save For Web.

In-depth tutorial here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=14971)

telecasterguru
28-01-2010, 7:23am
Thanks for all the information and the link to the tutorial. I will try and get it all working today and let you know how it all goes.

Regards

Frank

telecasterguru
28-01-2010, 9:39am
I have now used the save for web tutorial and am pleased to say that everything works perfectly.

Once again a newb has been fixed.

Thanks everyone.

Frank

Tannin
28-01-2010, 10:07am
Frank, be aware that Photoshop has a lot of problems with saving files, so don't feel bad. The bug you discovered is just one of quite a few, and at least some of them remain unchanged right through to the current version. Sometimes there is a workaround, sometimes there is an actual fix, sometimes you just have to put up with itor use another product. As an example, both CS3 and CS4 randomly report failure to ave TIFFs "because the file is already open". In the case of this particular bug, which they don't seem to be interested in fixing, Photoshop actually does save the file with a random name, e,g., p965423.tmp but can't give it the correct name (which is infuriating if you are organised with your image management, this screws you right up) and then throws the error message.

Once it does this to one file, it will do it to every single file you work on until you shut it down and restart. You have to rename every file manually. The workaround is to save every file you work on into a new folder and manually move them from there into your work folder. I had (rather foolishly) hoped that they would finally fix this with CS4. I should have known better. I don't think they are interested in fixing bugs, only in adding features.