PDA

View Full Version : HTML Encryption software

DSLR400D
25-01-2010, 8:23pm
Hi All,

I am looking for a software to encrypt HTML pages. I have found one but it is windows based (http://www.aevita.com/web/lock/).

Can someone recommend one for mac ?

Thanks

Tannin
25-01-2010, 9:50pm
Mate, forget it.

You can't encrypt HTML. If you do, no-one can see your web page.

The shonky program you are seeing advertised doesn't encrypt the HTML at all (otherwise the page would be invisible to any web browser!), all it does is load some javascript into the reader's computer to disable right click and other things.

It's probably not too difficult to craft a workaround for that to allow reading of your source code anyway, but who would want to? Frankly, anyone whose web programming savvy is at the level where they would attempt water-running-uphill stuff like "encrypting" HTML isn't likely to be writing cutting-edge code you would want to be reading anyway.

But what about protecting your images? These, I imagine, are the reason why you might want to try a product like this one. (A far, far better reason than any HTML code could be.) What can this software do?

Answer: nothing.

It can no doubt prevent right click and file/save as for images, but nothing repeat nothing can prevent image theft via screen capture. We are not talking difficult, we are talking flat impossible.

If the reader can see the image, then the reader can save the image. THE ONLY way to prevent that is to upload a virus or a rootkit onto the reader's computer, and that has been tried too - it got Sony into more trouble than you can possibly imagine: prosecution, class action lawsuits (which they lost or settled out of court), and publicity so bad that many people still won't consider buying any Sony product under any circumstances.

If you want to protect your images, there are three methods, and only three methods, that work:

1: Don't publish them.

2: Publish them in such low resolution that no-one would want to steal them. (Or want to look at them, probably, but that's another question.)

3: Watermark.

Watermarking isn't perfect, but all things considered, if you want to publish on the web and reduce image theft to a minimum it is the only practical answer.

GerryK
25-01-2010, 10:05pm
When watermarking, it is worth including something that clearly identifies you as the copywrit owner.

jev
25-01-2010, 10:58pm
I thought you'ld know better than that. *Every* HTML page generated by a Microsoft "tool" (think "MS Word" :p) can be considered "encrypted HTML" :lol:

On a more serious note, it is possible to create a script or java applet that takes an encrypted page, decrypt it and than uses regular DHTML to render it. For example, anything obfuscated using http://www.iwebtool.com/html_encrypter could be considered "encrypted". It's a very weak encryption, but it is "encrypted".

ricktas
26-01-2010, 7:40am
When watermarking, it is worth including something that clearly identifies you as the copywrit owner.

Different topic, but copyright is assigned when you press the shutter button. So your watermark can have a copyright statement, but copyright exists whether you do so or not.

Kym
26-01-2010, 7:48am
Mate, forget it.
<snip>

+1
You can defeat the anti-right click in about 5 seconds (literally, just a few mouse clicks).
Send me $10 and I'll tell you how :p :rolleyes:

We have been asked to put anti-right click on this site before - and each time the answer is: no! as there is no point.

I thought you'ld know better than that. *Every* HTML page generated by a Microsoft "tool" (think "MS Word" :p) can be considered "encrypted HTML" :lol:

+1 Ha ha - you are 100% correct - MS Word generated HTML is unreadable. :p :cool:

On a more serious note, it is possible to create a script or java applet that takes an encrypted page, decrypt it and than uses regular DHTML to render it. For example, anything obfuscated using http://www.iwebtool.com/html_encrypter could be considered "encrypted". It's a very weak encryption, but it is "encrypted".

Obfuscated being the operative word. It just makes it tedious to copy text.

DSLR400D
26-01-2010, 10:18am
Mate, forget it.

Thanks everyone for your input. Thanks to Tannin, but your statement that" if you do encrypt HTML pages, no one can see" is incorrect.

I agree with you all and i too believe that there is nothing that cannot be broken, all you can do is make it hard to break. If someone wants to break it, decode it or steal it they will. I just wanted to make it in a way that makes its a bit difficult and not easy to download the images. That is all.

As some people ask me how do i make sure that my PC is never infected with virus and no one will ever attack it, my answer is do not power it on and lock it in your safe. So i do understand and agree with your comments.

However, i did give a try to that software, its not 100% bullet proof as you all said it before, but works to some extent.

Have a look at my site:
www.dipakphotography.com