PDA

View Full Version : Nikon d90 + remote

matilda
24-01-2010, 8:51am
Ok yesterday I experimented with some long exposures on my camera (d90). It has been a very long time (about 10 years), since I have done such long exposures. The only problem is with the d90 if I want to use the bulb feature, I have to hold down the trigger (and then time however long I want to have the shutter open for).

So I have been looking at getting a remote.

I'm thinking the nikon mc-dc1. Has anyone had any experience with the particular remote?

Also this may seem as a lame question, but will i have to modify the trigger of the camera? (i've only had 4 hours of sleep to do a child who is getting 4 teeth at once!)

Lani
24-01-2010, 9:14am
Unless you buy a higher specced model, you won't get a timer function, but you will be able to lock the shutter in bulb mode. I buy most things brand name, but as far as remote triggers go, I have just bought eBay ones, the last one I got was a wireless trigger and it works fine. Here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aputure-Wireless-Remote-N3-for-NIKON-D90-MC-DC2-R7I_W0QQitemZ140350792920QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories?hash=item20ad8f24d8)is a link to the D90 version, I got one for the D700. I noticed they have a timer option available as well....not sure on it's reliability tho.

arthurking83
24-01-2010, 10:57am
Buy no name remotes!!!

Nikon's remotes are far too expensive for what they are, even though they do have a nice build quality.

I have an MC-36 which is very well made, but the design can only be described as idiotic!
It has no on-off switch(which most of the knock offs do).. so when not in use you have to remove the batteries otherwise they drain!

There are knock off MC-36 remotes(which Nikon only make in 10pin fit for the higher end models (Dxxx and Dx cameras).. but the knock off manufacturers(Aputure and Phottix are just a few brands) make them for D90 fitment too.
The MC-36 type of remote has a timer and intervalometer.(two different things)

The timer can be set to expose for a predetermined number of seconds(up to 999 or so), and an intervalometer is something that can be set to expose at predetermined intervals, for a preset time. repeatedly.
Very expensive(close to $200 for the MC-36) and only really worth it for those that need it.
I'm thinking of selling mine, as I never use it(even tho I knwo that when I sell it, I'll want to use it)

Dxxx and Dx's have an intervalometer feature in the camera anyhow, but the remote is more full featured(even though it misses the basic function of an on-off switch!:crzy:)

ebay is your friend in this case.

matilda
24-01-2010, 3:03pm
well the manual suggests the mc-dc2 which is about $60 but if I can get that one for $30 I'd rather do that.

so thanks. I will check it out now.