PDA

View Full Version : how to straighten a wobbly horizon

MattC
22-01-2010, 8:26pm
I just stitched together a 5-6 shot pano in photoshop, and I remember just recently reading about how to straighten a wobbly horizon (not just tilted) - I just can't remember where I read it. :confused013

Can any one point me in the right direction, or offer some advice?

Thanks,

Matt

bobt
22-01-2010, 8:44pm
I just stitched together a 5-6 shot pano in photoshop, and I remember just recently reading about how to straighten a wobbly horizon (not just tilted) - I just can't remember where I read it. :confused013

Can any one point me in the right direction, or offer some advice?

Probably lots of ways of doing it, but all I do is duplicate the image so that you have two layers. Then I take the selection tool and draw a nice straight line across the top layer at the horizon level, turning it into a long thin selection which I delete, cutting off the wobbly horizon. Then I move the lower layer so that the sky fills in the gap I have just cut, and merge the two layers together. Seems to do the job - hope it's clear enough to follow.

Miaow
22-01-2010, 8:44pm
Have you tried using a panorama program like Microsoft ICE and see how it comes up? A program made to join them might be able to do it easily with less work than trying to straighten it all yourself?

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/

Philr
22-01-2010, 8:49pm
Hey, if it only needs minute changes, open the image in PS press CTRL + A and go up to Edit, Transform and choose warp. A grid will appear over the image and you just drag and drop for whatever corrections you need. Give it a go and see how you go.

Cheers Phil

MattC
22-01-2010, 9:15pm
Thanks for the replies :th3:

Cat - did the merge using ICE - a great (free) program for sure!

Phil - I think you hit the nail on the head - I am fairly sure that is what I was thinking of. Thanks!

justdave
31-01-2010, 2:33pm
another trick for straightening the horizon on images is

stretch the ruler tool along the horizon and rotate the canvas abituary

will give u a straight horizon every time