PDA

View Full Version : How to Edit my RAW images?

AndreaB
22-01-2010, 5:31pm
I'm sure that looks like a really dumb question, but it is a bit more complicated then usual. I purchased my Canon 350D second hand and it did not come with the canon software. I also am unable to afford Photoshop. I do have a photo editing program, GIMP, but It does can not read my RAW files. Any suggestions? Is it possible to download the canon software? I have looked but came up short.

Miaow
22-01-2010, 5:47pm
Hi Andrea,

You can get updates for the canon software on the Canon sites - though not sure if they are full installs or just update files?

Think the EOS Rebel XT is the 350D (this is the us canon site)

You could try downloading Digital Photo Professional (DPP) which is the canon raw editor and see if it is a full version or just an updater? Just select the operating system and it will show you the files for download

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=11154

Also to add: Irfanview which is free can edit canon raw files just need to get the add-on plugin pack

www.irfanview.com

carrg1954
22-01-2010, 6:19pm
I would look at getting 'Elements' nice package, not too expensive and will allow raw processing.
Going all out , take a look at lightroom , free trial on v3 until april, may give you some time to save up.
Lots of free presets for it as well
regards

dmdigital
22-01-2010, 6:31pm
If you are using a Mac then it is in the OS and iPhoto or Aperture will recognise it. Try the Canon support site and if that fails I'd agree with the previous post and get a copy of Photoshop Elements.

jev
22-01-2010, 6:31pm
You could contact Canon and ask them for a CD of course. Or look around the net for instructions on how to install DPP without a CD (it is possible!).

OTOH, since you already use GIMP: install ufraw, that's GIMP's raw converter. Or get rawtherapee, which is free too.

AndreaB
22-01-2010, 6:40pm
Thank you every one. I ended up with canon picture style editor, but is very limited and only saves into it's own file format. Will keep looking. Thanks for the GIMP raw converter! I did not know they had one.

matilda
25-01-2010, 9:30pm
you can also get a program called ACDsee which can process RAW images.

http://www.acdsee.com/

wideangle
25-01-2010, 11:09pm
DPP is a brilliant program, not sure if you can get hold of it though?

Captured Exposure
26-01-2010, 5:20pm
If you google how to install dpp without a CD you will find a few results on other photog websites.

AndreaB
27-01-2010, 7:51am
Thank you.

yarnella
27-01-2010, 7:58am
Also have a look at FastStone (http://www.faststone.org/). It's good, it's free.

phild
27-01-2010, 8:38pm
I agree with Thomas, DPP is a great little tool.

Get someone to burn (or just loan) you a copy of an original canon disk with DPP, zoombrowser etc.

Once installed you'll be able to update to the latest versions via the canon website.

AndreaB
28-01-2010, 9:08am
Thanks to the advice on here I was able to download the full version of DPP