PDA

View Full Version : ebay lighting kit?

carnige
19-01-2010, 7:50pm
hey guys i have a photo shoot im going to do for a mate. i think its going to require a lighting kit.

im new to photography manly doing sports and landscape photography.

so this sorta shoot is new for me. its a photo shoot of a motorbike its a very custom harley that has had big $$$ spent on it. my mate is wanting a photo he can blow up to frame and hang up in his loundroom. I'm looking at an eBay lighting kit. i thought mabby i can get some feed back from some of u more experienced guys hear on what u think i have been looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280447120735&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i have very limited $$$ at this stage most people i talk to say not to wast your time with these but to spent up to $5,000 to get a real kit. the problem is i dont have alot of money and this one is all most too expensive for me... and i wouldn't be using it too often to worent spending any more.

jev
19-01-2010, 8:05pm
I would suggest to use natural light and use a large reflector if needed. Can't beat the price/performance ratio and you don't have to learn to work with strobes.

ehor
20-01-2010, 9:20am
Go rent some nice studio stuff for a few days :)

carnige
20-01-2010, 6:48pm
i dont know any places u can rent them in SA any of u guys know? thx

that would be a better idear as ill only use them once in a blue moon

ehor
21-01-2010, 4:54pm
i dont know any places u can rent them in SA any of u guys know? thx

that would be a better idear as ill only use them once in a blue moon

Not sure... did you ask Diamonds?
If they don't then surely they know a place that does.

bigdazzler
26-01-2010, 12:40pm
mate do you know how to use studio flash ??? Kinda an important consideration.

Im with Jev ... natural light and a BIG scrim and reflectors, otherwise youll more than likely run around all day looking all confused.

Brodie
27-01-2010, 7:27pm
yeah I dont understand why you feel the need to get a studio setup, especially when you have probably never used one before. Then i worry these lovely photos are going to consist of a boring white background. (sorry, the location shooter inside me is reaching out) The first thing I would be doing with that bike is taking it out on location.

Id head out and make use of the warm late afternoon light. Maybe bring in a reflector to help even the light in places. Keep shooting through sunset and start to grab some longer exposures. A good trick with cars/bikes etc when you do your long exposures, is to use a single hand held flash (SB900 or 580 EX or whatever) and you can pop it a couple times pointing to wherever you like to bring out detail.