PDA

View Full Version : What can you get for $200?

smallfooties
16-01-2010, 1:03am
Feel like expanding my film camera collection, probably upgrade from the OM-1 or do you have any ideas of what this $200 can be spent on?
Thanks.

smallfooties
16-01-2010, 1:44am
Thinking a rangefinder, perhaps a FED 5B?

uglysingaporean
19-01-2010, 6:06pm
How about a Yashica GSN if you are thinking of rangefinders, or the Canonets. I have not had much luck with the Feds or Zorki's. Also do some research on the Agfa or Kodaks, a lot of interesting cams.

Krzys
19-01-2010, 7:15pm
Canonet QL17, Bessa

smallfooties
20-01-2010, 5:35pm
Canonet QL17, Bessa

How much are these cameras?
Where can i get them here in perth?
You don't like the FSU?

smallfooties
20-01-2010, 5:38pm
How about a Yashica GSN if you are thinking of rangefinders, or the Canonets. I have not had much luck with the Feds or Zorki's. Also do some research on the Agfa or Kodaks, a lot of interesting cams.

What do you mean you've not had much luck with the Feds or Zorki's?
I was actually thinking of getting either the FED 2 or the Zorki 4? But more inclined to get the FED 2...
I've got a kodak brownie but only use it as a pinhole as i find it such a hassel to respool the 620 film to the 120 spool...
The FED 2 looks abit like the Leica doesn't it? But they sure are getting more and more expensive...
Do you have a rangefinder?

uglysingaporean
20-01-2010, 8:38pm
What do you mean you've not had much luck with the Feds or Zorki's?
I was actually thinking of getting either the FED 2 or the Zorki 4? But more inclined to get the FED 2...
I've got a kodak brownie but only use it as a pinhole as i find it such a hassel to respool the 620 film to the 120 spool...
The FED 2 looks abit like the Leica doesn't it? But they sure are getting more and more expensive...
Do you have a rangefinder?

Due to the age of the Fed/Zorki, the ones I had needed a lot of work. Also probably because I got the cheaper ones, so they tend to be less cared for by the previous owners. Some were beyond repair, or did not make economic sense to repair. Of course you may have better luck.

My mum gave me her GSN and I have a Bessa R3A. Leica is out of reach.

Have you considered the Kodak retinette's?

smallfooties
21-01-2010, 8:02pm
Due to the age of the Fed/Zorki, the ones I had needed a lot of work. Also probably because I got the cheaper ones, so they tend to be less cared for by the previous owners. Some were beyond repair, or did not make economic sense to repair. Of course you may have better luck.

My mum gave me her GSN and I have a Bessa R3A. Leica is out of reach.

Have you considered the Kodak retinette's?

How come you have such a cool mum?!?!?!?!
Is the Bessa any good? I've always like the name Bessa... but don't know much about them...
I am aiming for a Leica in future but they are SOOOOOO expensive!
No... i haven't considered the Kodak retinette's... Shall check it out on google!

uglysingaporean
22-01-2010, 9:04pm
hahaha my mum is past 60. That was the cam she was using when my parents were staying in UK more than 30 years ago. I love it. My mum really took care of the cam, plus they were so well made. I will evetually get rid of every cam i have, except for this one, since its the only cam my parents owned brand new. Give it to my children. Its not a Leica, but still....

swifty
22-01-2010, 11:06pm
Sorry to hijack your thread, smallfooties but uglysingaporean: May I ask for some recommendations on where to find used film gear in Singapore.
I'm passing through in Feb and would like to check out the local market.
Cheers

smallfooties
22-01-2010, 11:24pm
my landlady's husband wants to sell me his enlarger and misc stuffs like trays etc for $50. good deal?

uglysingaporean
25-01-2010, 6:46pm
Sorry to hijack your thread, smallfooties but uglysingaporean: May I ask for some recommendations on where to find used film gear in Singapore.
I'm passing through in Feb and would like to check out the local market.
Cheers

I'll send u a PM

AzzA
26-01-2010, 11:50pm
my landlady's husband wants to sell me his enlarger and misc stuffs like trays etc for $50. good deal?

It's a good deal if you'll use it.
Do you currently develop your photos? Do you intend to make prints?

Upgrading from the OM1 is actually pretty hard. Theres not much that compares, particularly under $200. It's a masterpiece of design and function. Is there a reason why you want to move away from SLR's? Have you thought about trying an OM2 for the electronic shutter and aperture priority shooting ability? That was you can keep using the same lenses.

If not, i'd look at the Olympus and Canon fixed lens rangefinders. The Canon QL17 is nice, so is the Olympus SP for a start. They are getting on a bit in age, and a dim rangefinder patch/vf might put you off shooting with rangefinders. Make sure you take your time finding one in good condition so you'll have a good experience with it.

Have fun :th3:

smallfooties
27-01-2010, 6:30pm
It's a good deal if you'll use it.
Do you currently develop your photos? Do you intend to make prints?

Upgrading from the OM1 is actually pretty hard. Theres not much that compares, particularly under $200. It's a masterpiece of design and function. Is there a reason why you want to move away from SLR's? Have you thought about trying an OM2 for the electronic shutter and aperture priority shooting ability? That was you can keep using the same lenses.

If not, i'd look at the Olympus and Canon fixed lens rangefinders. The Canon QL17 is nice, so is the Olympus SP for a start. They are getting on a bit in age, and a dim rangefinder patch/vf might put you off shooting with rangefinders. Make sure you take your time finding one in good condition so you'll have a good experience with it.

Have fun :th3:

Hi there, yes i do my own developing and would like to start doing some printing too. I've been doing the printing at the studio but would really like my own equipment so that i don't have to depend on going to the studio. Also, my contract with the studio is up soon... so....
Anyway, i got the enlarger etc ... Also got a FED 2 which i'm waiting for in the mail.

smallfooties
27-01-2010, 6:32pm
Oh and i've decided not to upgrade from the OM1 cos it's a fantastic camera! Can't bear to sell it off now that i've also done some servicing! It's perfect now! keke...

MTV
09-02-2010, 3:35pm
I know this is *slightly* off topic, seeing as you were looking at rangefinders... BUT, I've just picked up a circa 1960 Nikon F for not much over $200 sans lens. Then with $80 for a prime I've got one of the most important cameras in SLR history for just under $300. Slightly more than your budget, but if you bought a camera that was newer (I bought a collector's one) and maybe more tarnished and you could quite easily get it down closer to your mark.

And with all that said, I'm currently thinking of picking up a Rolleiflex or similar TLR just for kicks.

Just my two cents :)