PDA

View Full Version : Export help in Lightroom 2

clm738
15-01-2010, 9:01pm
Hi Guys,
Can't find a definitive answer to this question anywhere.
When I export from Lightroom 2 does it change my original photo into a jpeg?
Example:- Want to try different sharpening in Export.
Should I make virtual copy of photo after Developing & Sharpening in Lightroom then Export with type 1 Export Sharpening.
Make virtual copy of photo after Developing & Sharpeing in Lightroom then Export wity type 2 Export Sharpening, and so on and so on.
Hope this is not too confusing a question.
Thanks.

yarnella
15-01-2010, 10:31pm
I assume you want to export to "Files on Disk".
If so, in Export Location you choose to which folder you wish to export.
In File Settings you choose the file type (doesn't have to be JPG) and colour space.
In Output Sharpening I have only ever used screen because I use export to upload to Flickr.
The other sharpen options relate to printing and I don't print from here so I really can't offer any guidance.

HTH.

Topcat
16-01-2010, 1:42am
Simple answer = Lightroom doesn't do anything to your original file. When you export your photo it makes a copy of the original and exports that copy to where you tell it to. As an example if you right click on your original photo, after cropping etc, whilst in the Develop module and go to settings then click reset you'll see any modifications you'd done disappear.

ricktas
16-01-2010, 8:30am
What Topcat said.

Think of it this way, Your original photo is your film negative, You can make as many prints (jpg copies) as you want from that negative, but the negative never changes. Your prints can have a heap of work done to them and all be different, all from the same negative.

Lightroom doest really alter any photo, what it does is creates a 'sidecar' file of all the edits you make to a photo and stores that sidecar file as as set of instructions on what to do, when you export. You may have noticed that when exporting one of the options is to export the original or export with lightroom adjustments? That can happen cause your adjustments are stored in the sidecar file, and only really applied to the photo at the time of export.

clm738
16-01-2010, 12:42pm
yarnella, Thanks for your time but not really the answer I was after.

TopCat & Rick, Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. It's getting clearer now.

Scotty72
16-01-2010, 1:32pm
To see clearly what Rick means, try this.

Take an orginal pic, upload it into Lightroom.

In lightroom, make some obvious changes (eg. brightness, exposure, crop, saturation etc.)

Close lightroom. Now open the original photo in photoshop. It will be the original photo.

SCotty

peterking
16-01-2010, 1:37pm
Rick. Great explanation.
I knew Lightroom didn't change the original but played with a copy but your explanation clearly tells me what actually happens.
Thanks.

Scotty72
16-01-2010, 1:55pm
It is probalby best to not think of it as playing with a copy. As no copy is ever made... (unless you tell it to - but that wastes disk space)

A better analogy might be that the orginal is there, and your changes are layered over the top, like transparences (that can be removed at any time). When you export, it is like a image is taken through all the layers.

Does that sound right Rick (or any lightroom guru on the forum)?