PDA

View Full Version : PhotoShop Elements guidance

kjl
14-01-2010, 1:44pm
I recently downloaded the trial version of PhotoShop Elements 8 to see if I feel comfortable with using it before spending the money - I have had a bit of a play around with a couple of photos to see what it is capable of but as I'm still fairly new to this game was hoping to get some feedback on one of the images I have altered to see if I'm on the right track (the second attachment is the original image) ...or am I going overboard with the brightness etc? :confused013

ricktas
14-01-2010, 1:51pm
For me the second photo is much better. it has a nice range from dark shadow to white, whilst your edited version is much brighter, it loses the shadows. A good photo has a range from shading from black through to white. Sometimes a photos doesn't need much done to it and less is more.

Learn how to use the histogram (levels adjustment) in elements to get a nice range from pure black to white in your final photos.

kjl
14-01-2010, 2:19pm
Thanks for the advice Rick - I hadn't really thought of the image in that way...I will keep playing around with Elements (especially the historgram!) and will see what I can come up with

ricktas
14-01-2010, 3:57pm
Have a look at members photos on here. Look at how the ones that grab you have a nice range of shades in the photo, from a nice rich black through to a white(ish). The human eye and brain seems to get a sense that they are better for some reason.

Captured Exposure
14-01-2010, 6:21pm
Just on that, instead of purchasing version 8 which is not much different from 7 as I understand it. You could buy a Wacom Tablet and get Adobe Elements 7 Free(It may be 8 now, I bought mine a little while ago.) You get 2 for the price of 1 ;)

I bought the Bamboo Pen+Touch from their website.

etherial
14-01-2010, 6:53pm
I agree with Rick, the original is much better. And yes if you're asking yourself if you have gone overboard with the brightness, then you probably have. In this case you definately have!

I use PSE7 and find it very good. Do some searches on the internet, there are some great tutorials out there. Many of the Photoshop CS3/CS4 tutes will also apply to PSE too.

buck52
14-01-2010, 7:13pm
Go and look at some of the English Photo Magazines at the newsagents, a lot of them have a free disc with PS & PSE video tutorials, also images you can download and use to follow along with the tutorials.

kjl
28-01-2010, 12:28pm
Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom - it has been a great help to me when I have contined with my experimenting in PSE as well as looking at different versions available...

I have had a go at PP with a few more images that I took whilst overseas and would live everyone's opinion as to whether I'm starting to get the hang of it or if I'm still going overboard in some areas?..again, original photo is first with PP image second

Thanks in advance

kjl
28-01-2010, 12:31pm
And another set...