PDA

View Full Version : Help with Laptop Choice

HansPeter
11-01-2010, 8:11pm
Hi Rick,
I’m looking for a laptop can you point me in the right direction? I l am totally computer illiterate, I would be happy to now what the average Photographer uses…to go bush with. I’m looking for a 15.5” – 17” inch screen and a brand name. if I’m in the wrong department or on the wrong floor again please forgive me I’m the blunted tool in the shed.
Cheers Hans :o:o:o

peterking
12-01-2010, 1:09am
Big question.
Do you want Mac or PC?
If Mac hen short list. Macbook Pro 17. Big bucks. Damn good machine.
If PC then long list. How long do you want on the battery? Do you have a pref for brand? What software do you want with it? How much PP do you intend? Will you have wireless internet or are you going to wait till you get to an access point? How big a hard drive? Are you going to use external drives?

kwokask
12-01-2010, 10:36am
For the computer illiterate photographer, I would suggest a Mac. I find the interface more intuitive for a beginner.

ricktas
12-01-2010, 10:46am
I would suggest that no matter what you chose, see if you can find an Adult-Ed course on your area on using computers and join up. Some local libraries also run basic computer courses, and how to browse the internet etc. I reckon you might find these of real benefit.

Big Pix
12-01-2010, 11:11am
You will find local adult computer groups under http://www.ascca.org.au/ ......

some are mac friendly some are not.......

Roof
12-01-2010, 11:47am
Google has always been my friend.............

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=laptop+buying+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

It all depends on your budget...............

For the computer illiterate photographer, I would suggest a Mac. I find the interface more intuitive for a beginnerMust admit that a normal PC with Win7 is pretty good.

My other question is why do you want to buy a laptop and go bush ????? Get your self lots of storage and take heaps of shots.........When you come homeyou edit your shots on your 23" screen with a cold beer and bob's your uncle.

Hope this helps, Probably doesn't

dh52726
12-01-2010, 12:28pm
honestly if all you going to use it for is phot editing it makes no difference if its a Mac or PC, after all you only goign to use lightroom/PS/etc.

I would also suggest you go with a somethign you have friends or family closes by that can help you with, its no point going to a PC if everyone you know has a Mac. It just makes learning a lot harder when you cant rely on someone close by. But inthe lone run you do end up learning more.

Budget is the main thing we need to know before we can suggest something.

HansPeter
12-01-2010, 8:03pm
Thank you all very much for your help and advise, the best advise was from Rick to get some computer lessons, and how to browse the internet. I will do that..

And the second best advise came from the Roff.
That’s the advise I will also follow trough thanks. Get my self lots of storage and take heaps of shots.........When i come home i edit the shots on a 23" screen with a cold beer and bob's your uncle. Excelled advisee from both thank you..

Roof
13-01-2010, 7:27am
Welcome Mate, Let us know if you need anything else

HansPeter
15-01-2010, 12:40am
G'day all, I'm Hans, How many more posts before I’m enter full excess

ricktas
15-01-2010, 6:39am
G'day all, I'm Hans, How many more posts before I’m enter full excess

You have to have 50 posts AND 30 days membership to gain full site access. So your full access will not occur until the 3rd February (you joined on 4th January), even if you do have more than 50 posts.