PDA

View Full Version : Infrared film

StanW
07-01-2010, 8:23am
Some infrared prints which I hope are of interest. All were taken with my RB67 and 90mm and 180mm lenses.
Upper Kyeburn; Konica 750 film, Cokin red filter
Sutton farmhouse; Konica 750, Wratten 29 filter
IR portrait; Maico 820, Wratten 29 filter

Mary Anne
07-01-2010, 9:39am
Hi Stan Thanks for posting these..
They look good, the attractive looking young lady comes up very well..

Just popped in for a quick look we are going to Mt Tamborine National Park today its only 40 kms south from where we live in S.E. Qld I am looking for waterfalls that are flowing, two elderly people with camera gear well we will see how we go.. I will get back here tonight as I have a few questions I would like to ask you though I see one of them you have answered already.. I have the Hoya R72 filter and a Canon 40D plus a few lenses.. Cheers Mary-Anne

CherylB
07-01-2010, 2:46pm
You can get some really interesting effects with infrared. I really like shots of trees because they come out all white-leaved and ghostly - just like the second shot. The girl has spooky eyes! :eek: (But apart from that, it looks good :th3:)

StanW
07-01-2010, 3:10pm
Thanks, cheryl; those are the usual effects. Green vegetation reflects infrared very strongly, almost to over-exposure, hence the white result. Eyes obviously reflect only slightly.

Mary Anne
08-01-2010, 7:16pm
Hi again Stan..Sorry I did not get back last night six hours of walking tired me out..
I tried to get into IR in 2008, then the lens 17-85mm I had that fitted the IR filter 68mm size I bought it for got a bad focus problem it was my walk around lens, I finally managed to buy a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 not a L series though very fast its a 77mm filter size so I could not use the IR filter.. For Christmas hubby bought me the 70-200mm f/4 L and the IR filter will fit on it though not being a wide angle lens it wont give me much of a landscape will it unless I am very way back, I have not had a chance to use it much yet.. I asked about a step-down ring for the 17-55mm lens with the 77mm size down to 68mm I was told I cannot step down only step-up as it will let light in on a IF Filter

Perhaps it may be better to get the 17-85mm lens with the bad focus problem fixed then I can use that 68mm IR filter that I bought it for.

I see you used a 90mm lens for one of these photo's above the only 90mm lens I have is the Tamron macro with a 55mm filter though I have a step-up ring 55-68mm in case it needed to share a polarising filter with my old 70-300mm lens. I suppose I could have a go at IR using that filter on the Macro to try out, do you think stepping up will work out. I have to research on how to do IR as I have forgotten in the many months since I bought that IR filter..

TOM
08-01-2010, 7:29pm
Hey Stan, congrats. all three are great shots, although shot 2 and 3 really exploit the IR spectrum.

Helen S
08-01-2010, 8:50pm
I like these Stan, especially the farmhouse. Have long wanted to convert a DSLR into a dedicated IR camera, but not for the mono images but rather the false-colour ones. In the mean time I'll just admire your images. :)

StanW
09-01-2010, 8:06am
Thanks for your comments, folks. I have the advantage of using film, so I have no problems with the camera's response, as is the case with digital cameras. I use medium format (6cm x 7cm negatives) which makes life much easier too.
Mary Anne; step up can lead to vignetting; I'd want to try before I bought one. There is also a focus problem. Infrared light does not come to the same point of focus as does visible light. You would need to use the smallest possible aperture, or else move the lens out slightly - manual focus, of course.

Mary Anne
09-01-2010, 11:25am
Thanks for that Tip Stan.. I will get around to trying IR out again when I have more time..
And will probably be back on here to ask for lots of advice..

StanW
09-01-2010, 11:43am
Don't hesitate to ask, Mary Anne, here or by email.

I didn't get the focus quite right here.

Mary Anne
09-01-2010, 1:38pm
No Problem Stan.. Wow all the same..

StanW
09-01-2010, 5:47pm
The principal problem is finding a model. I've got the grain fields.

Mary Anne
09-01-2010, 6:47pm
So you did Stan..:D

Redgum
10-01-2010, 6:51pm
The principal problem is finding a model. I've got the grain fields.
What about a sheep, Stan? (Shorn of course!) :)

StanW
11-01-2010, 7:19am
Sorry, Redgum, backlit sheep belong to the days of colour slides. From what I know of their wolly-headedness, I hate to think how they'd respond to IR