PDA

View Full Version : What kind of light globe should I have in my study?

Raven
06-01-2010, 10:22am
Just wondering if the type of globe you have impacts the final result seen on the screen.

My monitor is calibrated with a spyder2. I do a bit of PP in the morning with natural light, but most often at night under a compact flourescent bulb. Is there something else I should be using? Is there a "daylight" globe I can put in the ceiling like the ones that are used in studio lighting?

Raven
07-01-2010, 8:05am
Nobody? :(

I @ M
07-01-2010, 8:28am
I was asking myself the same question a while ago and the printers we use recommend that ---- " LIGHTING: The room should be lit with Phillips TLD 95 fluoro tubes for colour correcting." ----- but when I looked those types of tubes up it seems that they come in a variety of colour temperatures ( degrees Kelvin ) ranging from 3000 degrees warm white to 6500 degrees cool daylight with 5300 degrees daylight in the middle. :confused013

I am going to look into it further but will probably end up with the 5300 degree ones to start with.

ricktas
07-01-2010, 8:33am
Your eyes adjust to counter the differences in temperature of light. Take fluorescent lights, we see them often as a clean light or slight blue tinge, yet they emit a green cast.

As long as you calibrate your monitor for the conditions that exist in your room you should be fine. I am not sure if the Spyder 2 can do an ambient light check (the spyder 3 checks the light in the room during calibration) and that can be worthwhile to ensure an optimum result.

Raven
07-01-2010, 3:32pm
So Rick basically are you saying I'd have to recalibrate every time if I work both daylight or under lights? Bit of a PIA that :rolleyes:

Wondering if there is a way to save 2 spyder profiles on my iMac and switch between them as needed...

Andrew I might sus that globe thing out too.

Thanks guys!

MattC
07-01-2010, 4:02pm
In the morning, close the curtains and turn the light on - problem solved! :D

Calxoddity
07-01-2010, 4:14pm
I use a 6500k daylight fluoro and leave the blinds half open, providing indirect sunlight. Seems to work okay. I had a lower temp fluoro before and it wasn't as nice to work with (looked yellowish in the day but okay at night).

Regards,
Calx

peterking
07-01-2010, 4:28pm
I have an iMac 27in that needs to be calibrated and am looking at a Spyder but that will come later. Yes you can set and later select several different colour profiles on the mac.
I use a Coolwhite compact flouro in a slightly frosted shade and have found thats the best colour for me.
Speaking to a processor he advised me that the monitor needs to be frequently calibrated to remain true. He was saying that length of time monitor is on, style of images eg: outdoor/Studio/action can also make an effect. His monitors are calibrated about every half hour.

Helen S
07-01-2010, 5:38pm
I use Philips Ambience Cool Daylight globes (6500K) which appear to give a nice even light without the yellowy tinge of the Warm White ones. I also tend to keep the blinds closed (or mostly so), but more because of the heat factor rather than the light from outside. :)

kingarthur
07-01-2010, 5:43pm
So Rick basically are you saying I'd have to recalibrate every time if I work both daylight or under lights? Bit of a PIA that :rolleyes:

Wondering if there is a way to save 2 spyder profiles on my iMac and switch between them as needed...

Andrew I might sus that globe thing out too.

Thanks guys!
no need to recalibrate, just have a differant profile for each lighting condition.

jev
07-01-2010, 8:20pm
The ISO 12646 and it's predecessor ISO 3664 norms say:
- Colour temperature 5000K, colour reproduction index 90 or higher
- 32 to 64 Lux (check using an external lightmeter: 100 ISO, 1 second, aperture = 4 - 5.6)
Thus, no ambient light should enter the room and it's a pretty dark environment.

For checking prints, much more light is required (1500 to 2500 lux).

It's not just the light itself, it's the fitting that needs to be okay too - some change the light colour.

There are pretty good Solux halogen lights with integrated blue-filter that a specified to generate 4700K (pretty close!), check out solux.net.
True-Lite, Philips and Just also provide TL and PL lights (tubes usually) that are pretty good.

clm738
07-01-2010, 8:46pm
I was told by a Pro. Printer to get a D5 Fluro.