PDA

View Full Version : Print fade

Gremlin
04-01-2010, 12:22am
Hello
hope this is in the right subgroup,
Ive had many "home" printers over the years and one thing that often I find is after a few months on the fridge door I notice a distinct fade of colour?
Im currently hooked up witha modest Epson CX9300F which prints fine for quality and previously a HP PSC Series and both did this, I have heard the Canon Pixmas could have better quality on this, can anyone share their experiences with this?
Ive always used brand paper and inks on these.

thanks
Grem'

Bill44
04-01-2010, 8:40am
Try a Google on "Chromalife 100 ink", this is the ink that Canon are using in the MP980/990 and maybe a few others (I have the 980). This ink, when used with Canon papers, is said to have some quite good lasting features.

Gremlin
04-01-2010, 10:05am
Thanks Bill, Ill check that out, I had heard good things about that model printer you mentioned, had always been an Epson user since the brought out the Colour Pro XL in around 95ish? Haveall Canon photo gear might as well go that with printer!
thanks
Grem'

Bill44
04-01-2010, 12:09pm
Thanks Bill, Ill check that out, I had heard good things about that model printer you mentioned, had always been an Epson user since the brought out the Colour Pro XL in around 95ish? Haveall Canon photo gear might as well go that with printer!
thanks
Grem'

I've had the MP980 for just over 12 months, totally happy with it to the point that only prints over A4 go to a lab.

tanalasta
04-01-2010, 1:51pm
The Canon IP4700 is only around $140 and uses chromalife ink. It does lovely prints with genuine photo glossy plus paper from Canon. The paper is as thick and on par with most generic photolabs.

That said, the ink is expensive. It's $100 for a pack of 50 4x6" paper + 4 ink cartridges (black/cyan/yellow/magenta).

ricktas
04-01-2010, 2:01pm
Have a look at this website : http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

The wilhelm institute is purely in existence to test printers / inks / papers for archival quality and accuracy of reproduction. They do all the testing and you get the benefits of the results for perusal.

Bill44
04-01-2010, 4:27pm
The Canon IP4700 is only around $140 and uses chromalife ink. It does lovely prints with genuine photo glossy plus paper from Canon. The paper is as thick and on par with most generic photolabs.

That said, the ink is expensive. It's $100 for a pack of 50 4x6" paper + 4 ink cartridges (black/cyan/yellow/magenta).
The IP4700 is only a 5 tank printer, the MP980 is a 6 tank printer with the inclusion of Grey. The Grey is not just for B&W work, it is also used as a toner for the other colours so maybe this is why I consider the ink costs reasonable.

I get the five colour cartridges for $89.50 delivered.
Somewhere on here I did a post about ink cost based on 12 months usage in an MP980. It worked out to 33.5 cents for a 6x4 and $1.32 for an A4.

phild
04-01-2010, 5:22pm
The Epson R series use pigment based inks and are supposedly lightfast for 70 + years. I have the R1800 and haven't noticed any fading of my prints, despite being several years old.

Harves
04-01-2010, 6:36pm
Aside from the ink debate, where is your fridge? If the image is in a sunny place it will fade over time whether it's a home made print or produced in a lab. :cool:

TOM
04-01-2010, 7:00pm
the actual makin gof the print is the starting point, and you will need to mount the print and hang in the right location to maximise the life of it. if you are really fussy about prints, want archivablity, and a little more wow, then wet printing is still the best way. but not every print needs to be done this way.

geedee
09-01-2010, 7:51am
If i remember correctly Epson Paper used to have in the fine print on the packet, Best if stored under glass. Something to that effect. I have noticed with Epson inks Brown colors fade to a tan if left hanging on a wall for about 6 months, if placed in a book or envelop they remain as good as the day they were printed.
Dick Smith sells a spray that can be applied to the inkjet print to preserve its appearance.
Or a cheaper alternative is to coat with ladies cheap hairspray. ( haven't tried the hairspray as yet)

Bill44
09-01-2010, 8:56am
If i remember correctly Epson Paper used to have in the fine print on the packet, Best if stored under glass. Something to that effect. I have noticed with Epson inks Brown colors fade to a tan if left hanging on a wall for about 6 months, if placed in a book or envelop they remain as good as the day they were printed.
Dick Smith sells a spray that can be applied to the inkjet print to preserve its appearance.
Or a cheaper alternative is to coat with ladies cheap hairspray. ( haven't tried the hairspray as yet)

Prints left exposed to the air suffer from "Ozone Degradation" which accelerated the fading process. A Google on this subject will give you more information than you need.

Gremlin
22-02-2010, 8:58am
cool thanks guys, i didnt know half of this stuff, pays to ask questions ;)

Speedway
22-02-2010, 10:51am
I have prints from a canon under glass in frame, also laminated prints that are over ten years old and no sign of degradation. I also refill using aftermarket inks with no problems.
Keith.

arthurking83
22-02-2010, 9:07pm
Glass has a natural UV blocking ability, so I dare say that's the difference.

I have three prints on my fridge, none of which are exposed to direct sunlight, but two of which are exposed to (a lot of)reflected light from my neighbors bright white weatherboards, and then directly through my kitchen window(which is dirty as hell).

The mono print was made with my old Canon IP4200 has faded to a purple looking hue, which looks almost horrid now, and my latest test print made with my new HP colour laserjet is still fine, after approx 8months.
The only large print I've ever made @ A4 is on the dark side of the fridge which doesn't receive any direct light(from the window) is still (as far as I can tell) perfect, or at least perfectly acceptable, and printed approx 4 years ago.

The mono print is vividly obvious as a fade test, as It's been sitting in a magnetic frame, which has covered a 1cm border of the image. The unexposed 1 cm border of the full frame print is still in a good mono tone, whereas the exposed area is now a magenta colour.

just be aware of where you mount the inkjet based print as well as how you mount it, to maximize it's lifespan.

Bill44
23-02-2010, 9:03am
Strange as it may seem the biggest degrader of bare prints, apart from direct sunlight, is ozone.