PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good light source to light up macro subjects?

Bear Dale
03-01-2010, 12:14pm
Whats a good light source to light up macro subjects?

A simple torch? A 60w tungstan globe in a desk light type reflector? LED light source?

ricktas
03-01-2010, 12:22pm
Natural light is by far and away the best ,whether direct or reflected. But if you do use another source, consider learning how to do a custom white balance, and then you will make the most from the shots.

I have used small halogen lamps to great effect and even LED torches as well, but WB is the key.

henryp
05-01-2010, 2:21am
Whats a good light source to light up macro subjects?
It depends on the subject, your camera-to-subject working distance and other considerations. Many people use a ring light for direct even illumination. if your subject is shiny and large enough, you might want to consider the shadowless illumination of a light tent. They're also called shooting tents or domes (http://bit.ly/5eqNI5).

TonyH
05-01-2010, 4:04am
A daylight 24w ergonomic tube ie the new floru systems, but remember to check white balance....

MattC
05-01-2010, 8:54am
I would say an off camera flash - but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

pollywaffle
08-01-2010, 4:15pm
Natural light, I adjust to it, rather than adjust it like artificial sources.

ving
08-01-2010, 4:18pm
natural light for focus but extrernal off camera flash for lighting for the shot. 2 flashes works really well too.

AMD72
09-01-2010, 6:01pm
Almost all the time natural light is not a practical light source solution due to laws of optics and a need to have more than a slither of the subject in focus at 1:1. Using a flash is the best source of light. The ultimate aim is to produce an artificially lit scene resembling natural light as much as possible, which means using a flash and diffusing the light as much as possible. The king of this is Brian Valentine (see here about his home made diffuser with examples: http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594312315664/ ). Check out some of his photo stream too while your there!

gcflora
09-01-2010, 6:41pm
Well, if LordV does it, I am open to listening... he is the master of macro

milspec
09-01-2010, 6:54pm
I've been mucking around with my 580EX, wide diffuser out and a cd sleeve crammed over the top. Set it at 90 deg and presto, a relative smooth light.

Steadyhands
09-01-2010, 8:17pm
I'll back up what Andrew has said regarding flash for macro. Invest in a regular flash first as this will have more use for other types of photography also. You will have much more success with a flash. Learn how to balance natural light and flash and learn how to flash can be the only light in the scene.

Then....
Buy or make a diffuser.
Buy an off camera cord.
Buy or make a flash bracket.

Required reading Stobist - Apparent Light Size (http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/07/lighting-102-unit-21-apparent-light.html) - the reason macro photographers use flash brackets and diffusers positioned so close to the subject.

gcflora
09-01-2010, 8:26pm
Is it better to buy or make a flash bracket? I am not very handy building things so I guess I should buy one. I suppose. But it's all very complicated :(