PDA

View Full Version : Graflex XLRF

Rob
02-01-2010, 8:43pm
Hi everyone
Be interested in your thoughts.
I am travelling to Africa in late June & want to take a film camera for some scenery shots. Have a number of Graflexes & a Silvestri but dur to weight & issues with having to carry gear at all times am thinking of taking this camera with me.
Have two options re lens a) 47mm Schneider Super Angulon or b) Rodenstock Grandagon 58mm.
Was wondering if anyone had used either of these lenses or would be willing to offer any advice?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/4236024419_f2dbc35129_o.jpg

Krzys
03-01-2010, 6:14pm
What a cool camera. Take the Super Angulon!

smallfooties
03-01-2010, 7:55pm
Is that a camera? Nah... it couldn't be! Is it? It sure looks funky!
Do an eenie meenie mynie moe... and take whichever one you point at!

Rob
03-01-2010, 8:22pm
What a cool camera. Take the Super Angulon!
Thanks Krzys, I'm thinking the same

Is that a camera? Nah... it couldn't be! Is it? It sure looks funky!
Do an eenie meenie mynie moe... and take whichever one you point at!
You may also be right:D TGook some test shots today & will see how they come out

TOM
03-01-2010, 9:42pm
Depends how you 'see'. for me, i'd take the Roddy, as the angulon is just too wide. i just picked up a couple of Schneider's last week, and they are superb lenses. Personally though, I'd take something like a 90mm.

StanW
04-01-2010, 10:13am
From my experience with a 47mm lens on 4x5, you'll have massive cut-off in the corners. I dind a 100mm lens is much better for general purposes, and you still have a wide-angle image.

Rob
04-01-2010, 6:58pm
Depends how you 'see'. for me, i'd take the Roddy, as the angulon is just too wide. i just picked up a couple of Schneider's last week, and they are superb lenses. Personally though, I'd take something like a 90mm.
See what you are saying Tom & inclined to agree

From my experience with a 47mm lens on 4x5, you'll have massive cut-off in the corners. I dind a 100mm lens is much better for general purposes, and you still have a wide-angle image.
Thanks Stan, unfortunately these are my two choices unless I can find a longer lens & barrel in the meantime.