PDA

View Full Version : twin lens reflex

smallfooties
25-12-2009, 7:44pm
I'm thinking of getting a TLR camera off ebay... I've read somewhere on the forum that somebody got his for $25 but, none of the ebay ones are that cheap. Are there other places to look for these camera? Which brand would you recommend?
I was looking at the Lubitel ones and the Yashica ones...

Analog6
25-12-2009, 8:22pm
I have a Seagull (Chinese) and the lens is superb. I purchased it from an auction of a deceased estate online. It is for sale for $100 if you are interested, but I sort of don't care if I sell it or not, I've been on and off about it for a while! I'm just not finding any use for film any more.

Krzys
25-12-2009, 8:57pm
Dont get a Seagull don't get an early Yashica don't a 'cord don't get a Lubitel!

Get a Yashica 124/G or a Rolleiflex or a Mamiya C. Trust me on this. I've been through cheap TLRs and they are something you don't want to bother messing around with. The good ones are great though. There have been heaps of f2.8 Rolleiflex going on RFF for $500 recently and I saw a Yashica Mat 124G go for $200 on ebay. In my opinion the best TLR for function is the Mamiya C330, but it is huge and heavy.

smallfooties
25-12-2009, 10:56pm
Oh my... hahaha.... Hmm... are the results really that bad? Is it cos there is alot of distortion in the cheap TLRs? Or the pictures just come out blurry?
I'm looking at the yashica 635 for about $150... not sure if this is early model of the brand?
I'll keep a look out at the ones you have suggested. Was thinking of buying the body of the Mamiya C330 and then buy the lens? Would the lens be very expensive?

Analog6
26-12-2009, 5:53am
Dont get a Seagull don't get an early Yashica don't a 'cord don't get a Lubitel!

Get a Yashica 124/G or a Rolleiflex or a Mamiya C. Trust me on this. I've been through cheap TLRs and they are something you don't want to bother messing around with. The good ones are great though. There have been heaps of f2.8 Rolleiflex going on RFF for $500 recently and I saw a Yashica Mat 124G go for $200 on ebay. In my opinion the best TLR for function is the Mamiya C330, but it is huge and heavy.

Sorry, Krzys, while the ones you say to get are the better ones, the Seagull is a good camera. Mine takes great shots and they are all sharp as.

yarnella
26-12-2009, 8:00am
I have a Yashica 635 with the Yashikor lens and it takes excellent shots. It is hard to beat a 6 X 6 cm negative. Mine also has the 35mm kit with it but I have never bothered trying to take 35mm film with it. I'll use my 35mm SLRs for that.

The Yashica 635 was produced from 1958. Not sure when production ceased. You can find more information and manuals here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/yashica635.html and here:http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica/yashica_635/yashica_635.htm and here: http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/yashica635/

Krzys
26-12-2009, 8:04am
Yashica 635 is a decent camera. Seagull is terrible. Goto any message board, 90% of topics will be 'my Seagull's shutter broke'. There is a Mamiya C220 with 60mm f4 on ebay for $350 right now.

StanW
26-12-2009, 8:37am
A Lubitel is a good cheap way to find out if TLR is the way you want to go. And the results aren't all that bad, from experience.

Krzys
26-12-2009, 11:19am
I'm just against recommending a camera that has such a high probability of breaking. A friend of mine was given a Lubitel by an old exgirlfriend which he later found out to be stolen. He managed to contact the owner who told him to keep it. The second time he used it the shutter broke.

smallfooties
26-12-2009, 7:32pm
thanks all for your replies. I am currently bidding on a yashica 124g... i hope i get it for less than $100... keke

Krzys
26-12-2009, 7:54pm
You wont, I tried. Most likely some Japanese will bid it up if its going good. Always happens.

smallfooties
26-12-2009, 8:38pm
Oh! -sobs-
-cross fingers and toes-
Hey Krzys, have you ever posted shots from your TLR camera?

smallfooties
26-12-2009, 8:46pm
thanks Ray for the links.... I actually like the Yashica 635... It looks like a sturdy camera... except for the fact that you have to remember to cock the shutter... hmm... i'm alittle forgetful! keke...
Today, i forgot to rewind the film in my camera and opened the back instead! -sobs- all my rubbish BW shots... -sobs-

Krzys
26-12-2009, 8:58pm
Ahhh I posted this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3609/3566985750_8f15da2871.jpg

Yashica D, it gets soft wide open at f3.5

jev
27-12-2009, 11:34pm
I got a great Mamiya C220, would be an option too no? One thing to look out for on these old camera's: make sure you get one that's still light-proof. The seals degrade over time and may need replacement. Also, the springs may need to be replaced. I bought mine a couple of years ago completely refurbished, paid ca. $75 for it. But it works great!.

Krzys
27-12-2009, 11:39pm
Thats a good price for a Mamiya C220, body alone. What lens?

The C330 adds a wind crank and parallax corrector.

TLRs are good because you can easily use duct tape on the back seals if unsure.

jev
28-12-2009, 1:32am
I got the standard Sekor 80/2.8 on it. It was quite an experience to work with the first couple of times!

Get one with a manual if you can find it - there are a couple of tricks that you need to be aware of when shooting the C220 (focal distance has an impact on exposure for example :)).

With the C330, one doesn't need to cock the shutter separately from the film advance either does it?

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 1:50am
Where did you get yours from? Ebay?
I'm looking on ebay to see if i can get a good deal... otherwise i will be getting the yashica 124G from somebody on another forum for $192 or was it $197? Either one...
But i think it's an alright deal since other people are selling it for about $300 - $350.. I just hope the light meter is working... -cross fingers-

jev
28-12-2009, 3:28am
I got mine through APUG. The seller had 4 or 5 of these and wanted to find a good home for them. I actually had to show him what type of 'tog I was before he sold it :D

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 10:00am
unfortunately i was outbid by $2!!!! ARGH!
Anybody interested in buying my pentax so i can fund the TLR? keke...

Krzys
28-12-2009, 12:22pm
With the C330, one doesn't need to cock the shutter separately from the film advance either does it?Yes

TOM
28-12-2009, 12:35pm
unfortunately i was outbid by $2!!!! ARGH!

you may have been outbid by $1000 for all you know, but a $2 higher bid is all that will show.

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 12:56pm
are you serious? How come they don't show the actual amount that you have been outbid?
hmm... anyway... I bought the yashica 124G off the guy from another forum! Spanky red and black one... aye, have to scringe on other stuffs now... keke...
Just out of curiosity, how much should i really sell my pentax spotmatic with the 4 lenses? I don't really know the value of it now, i just put the total cost of what i paid for...

batmat
28-12-2009, 4:34pm
I just bought a Yashica 124G on ebay as well. I took a bit of a risk as I got it for 57€, lot cheaper than every 124G I saw on ebay. Now need to find 120 film :)
No idea about the price of a spotmatic, look how much they got sold on ebay, that would give you an idea of the price you can get. Good luck.

Krzys
28-12-2009, 4:38pm
When somebody asks about your TLR say the bottom lens takes the photo and the top lens steals their soul.

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 6:23pm
I just bought a Yashica 124G on ebay as well. I took a bit of a risk as I got it for 57€, lot cheaper than every 124G I saw on ebay. Now need to find 120 film :)
No idea about the price of a spotmatic, look how much they got sold on ebay, that would give you an idea of the price you can get. Good luck.

57euros?! How did you do that?
bleah... well done though!
Is it in good condition? Is the light meter working?

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 6:23pm
When somebody asks about your TLR say the bottom lens takes the photo and the top lens steals their soul.

so deep....:p

Krzys
28-12-2009, 7:53pm
honeslty get over that piddly little light meter :p

uglysingaporean
28-12-2009, 8:22pm
smallfooties: congrats on your purchase. I have a yashica 24, which can use 220 or 120 film. I'm sure your 124G can use 220 film too. 24 shots vs 12 shots. So no need to change rolls as often.

You might want to look out for some cheap lens hood too. I use a 46mm hood with a 34-46 step up ring. The hood pops up once in a while on ebay, and they are cheap too...around $10.

Enjoy your TLR.

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 8:52pm
smallfooties: congrats on your purchase. I have a yashica 24, which can use 220 or 120 film. I'm sure your 124G can use 220 film too. 24 shots vs 12 shots. So no need to change rolls as often.

You might want to look out for some cheap lens hood too. I use a 46mm hood with a 34-46 step up ring. The hood pops up once in a while on ebay, and they are cheap too...around $10.

Enjoy your TLR.

hey uglysingaporean! Are you singaporean?
Thanks! Hmm... how is your yashica 24? Post some pictures that were taken with it for us to see!
Why do i need to get a lens hood? Sorry, i'm very new to TLR... keke...

Krzys
28-12-2009, 8:57pm
Lens will flare easily when you go outside and makes you three times cooler.

smallfooties
28-12-2009, 10:26pm
hahaha... 3 times cooler eh? With that reason alone, i'm getting a lens hood! hahaha...

uglysingaporean
29-12-2009, 1:09pm
smallfooties: yup i'm singaporean so forgive me if some of the nonsense i spout dun apply in australia. but ya as krzys has pointed out the hood is to reduce the flares. I'd try for a Hamas hood. 46mm is the biggest you can go without obstructing the viewing lens.

yarnella
29-12-2009, 2:23pm
hahaha... 3 times cooler eh? With that reason alone, i'm getting a lens hood! hahaha...

Yup, definitely get a lens hood. It's not something you want, it's something you need. Don't ask how I know!

smallfooties
29-12-2009, 6:42pm
Yup, definitely get a lens hood. It's not something you want, it's something you need. Don't ask how I know!

Hi there yarnella, I will get a lens hood when funds permit. Would there be a difference if i got a cheap one or an expensive one? I'm looking to ebay or camera electronics for it.
I see you've got the pentax asahi spotmatic sp too! Just wondering, if i should keep it or sell it? Can the light meter be fixed? I know it's pretty old (like around 1964???) and would probably like to keep it if it's going to be a rare piece in future. But i'm also thinking of selling it to fund the TLR i bought? Your views would be appreciated. :D

yarnella
30-12-2009, 7:58am
I don't think it would make any difference buying a cheaper plastic lens hood versus a more expensive metal one. There are plenty for sale on eBay right now. Just do a search for "tlr lens hood". There is a plastic one going for under $10 - item 390125477665.

As for selling or keeping your Spotmatic, it depends on how much it means to you. I recently sold one of mine because it was not being used. It was in perfect working order, had a good leather case and a 50/1.4 Super-Takumar lens and the meter worked. I got $120 for it. This is it:Sold Spotmatic SP (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~rayallen/Spotmatic_SP/index.htm#1)

The other two I still have and I won't be selling those as they mean too much to me. The SP1000 I bought new in 1975 and it still works as well as the day I bought it. The SP I bought secondhand from a pawnshop and it has been completely refurbished. Both are in perfect working order. Plus I run the Spotmatic group on Yahoo! so I am a bit of a Spotmatic tragic.

A Spotmatic with a non-working meter is a lot less desirable and is worth a lot less. It still functions without the meter but that may not mean a lot to a prospective buyer. The only way to fix the meter is to remove one from another body. Finding an organ donor may be difficult. New replacement meters do not exist.

I'll leave the final decision up to you.

ricktas
30-12-2009, 8:11am

This is funny! I have posted quite a few shots on AP that have been taken with my Seagull. even YOU have commented on them favourably. I specifically do not state whether a posted shot is film or digital cause I do not want to get into the arguments over the formats etc, that a select few seem to thrive on. AP. For me, the final photo is king, not how you made it.

Krzys
30-12-2009, 9:39am
Read the thread. I am just warning against getting a camera that will break so easily. The lens on them is good and shows swirly bokeh. The shutter however, is crap. Why is it funny?

smallfooties
30-12-2009, 12:19pm
I don't think it would make any difference buying a cheaper plastic lens hood versus a more expensive metal one. There are plenty for sale on eBay right now. Just do a search for "tlr lens hood". There is a plastic one going for under $10 - item 390125477665.

As for selling or keeping your Spotmatic, it depends on how much it means to you. I recently sold one of mine because it was not being used. It was in perfect working order, had a good leather case and a 50/1.4 Super-Takumar lens and the meter worked. I got $120 for it. This is it:Sold Spotmatic SP (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~rayallen/Spotmatic_SP/index.htm#1)

The other two I still have and I won't be selling those as they mean too much to me. The SP1000 I bought new in 1975 and it still works as well as the day I bought it. The SP I bought secondhand from a pawnshop and it has been completely refurbished. Both are in perfect working order. Plus I run the Spotmatic group on Yahoo! so I am a bit of a Spotmatic tragic.

A Spotmatic with a non-working meter is a lot less desirable and is worth a lot less. It still functions without the meter but that may not mean a lot to a prospective buyer. The only way to fix the meter is to remove one from another body. Finding an organ donor may be difficult. New replacement meters do not exist.

I'll leave the final decision up to you.

Thanks yarnella for your reply...
Hmm... i got the spotmatic for $80 and i knew the meter wasn't working then...Perhaps i paid too much for it? I'm not sure how much i should sell the camera and the 4 lens for... Perhaps $200 excluding postage? Just thinking of selling them to fund the TLR i bought. And i probably won't be using them now that i've also got the Olympus OM-1, which has a working meter.
Would you mind looking at the thread i posted in classifieds and tell me if the lens i'm selling with the spotmatic are worth the price?
Thanks.

Krzys
30-12-2009, 12:29pm
a pentax spotmatic without a meter is a pentax matic

smallfooties
30-12-2009, 12:33pm
This is funny! I have posted quite a few shots on AP that have been taken with my Seagull. even YOU have commented on them favourably. I specifically do not state whether a posted shot is film or digital cause I do not want to get into the arguments over the formats etc, that a select few seem to thrive on. AP. For me, the final photo is king, not how you made it.

Hi rick, would you mind giving me the link to your pictures from the seagull? Would really like to see them. Thanks.

yarnella
30-12-2009, 1:34pm
a pentax spotmatic without a meter is a pentax matic

Not really. It never had a spot meter to start with. It was originally designed with a spot meter but that did not make it into production. Spotmatic meters have always averaged the whole of the film frame.

yarnella
30-12-2009, 4:33pm
Thanks yarnella for your reply...
Hmm... i got the spotmatic for $80 and i knew the meter wasn't working then...Perhaps i paid too much for it? I'm not sure how much i should sell the camera and the 4 lens for... Perhaps $200 excluding postage? Just thinking of selling them to fund the TLR i bought. And i probably won't be using them now that i've also got the Olympus OM-1, which has a working meter.
Would you mind looking at the thread i posted in classifieds and tell me if the lens i'm selling with the spotmatic are worth the price?
Thanks.

I have sent you a PM regarding your advertisement.

batmat
30-12-2009, 4:34pm
57euros?! How did you do that?
bleah... well done though!
Is it in good condition? Is the light meter working?

Well... I was exited as well! But then found out that was a swindling :( [ I knew I took a risk as the price was really attractive] Fortunately, both Paypal & Ebay quickly warned me so I didn't lose any money...

Just after that, as I was very disappointed, I was almost about to buy the Mamiya C330 (which was lot more expensive), but I didn't, needed some more time to think about all of that.

Ok, well, back to hunt for a TLR now...

smallfooties
30-12-2009, 6:48pm
oh! yeah... must be very careful with ebay... I also almost got swindled. Like i got an email from ebay saying that the seller i was communicating with was trying to steal my details for identity theft and other fraudulant activities!
Anyway, i hope you have good luck in your hunt for a tlr... perhaps try other forums too?

smallfooties
30-12-2009, 6:53pm
I think i might be getting the tlr tml cos it's in transit now... -cross fingers- so excited! yayy!:efelant:

uglysingaporean
31-12-2009, 6:51pm
All the best Smallfooties, and most importantly have fun with your new TLR

smallfooties
31-12-2009, 7:18pm
hi uglysingaporean! Today marks the arrival of the yashica 124G!! I just ran a roll of film through it. I hope it's all good...
Looking high and low for the battery but they don't have the 1.3v batteries anymore... Is there a replacement one? I've been searching the net but different people are saying different things so i don't really know which path to follow? I used the sunny16 rule on the first roll... don't even know if i've done it right but the chart says i did... soo.... :confused
still would like to find the battery to see if the meter is working...

uglysingaporean
04-01-2010, 9:08pm
smallfooties: when i got the cam, the owner gave me a few batts and i havent needed to replace them. I do not even know what they are although the light meter works so far. Let me go take the batt out when i reach home today and see if its a mercury free variant.

smallfooties
05-01-2010, 11:30am
smallfooties: when i got the cam, the owner gave me a few batts and i havent needed to replace them. I do not even know what they are although the light meter works so far. Let me go take the batt out when i reach home today and see if its a mercury free variant.

Hey uglysingaporean,
I found out what the replacement batteries are. Using the energizer zinc air ones...It's the same ones you use for hearing aids.
Have you seen my post about me developing my first roll of film from the yashica? Curious results!

uglysingaporean
12-01-2010, 7:58pm
hi smallfooties: sorry for the late reply. the batts i have are the funny UFO shaped ones, PX-sumthing. and i'm heading over to your other thread right now.

jdreamer
23-02-2010, 5:17pm
AP has been great in most of my interests in photography. A lot of helpful people here, I can tell!! Thanks.

Recently, I've been very interested in TLR. Mainly because of it's shape and the fact that it makes me feel like digging another hole in my wallet! But but but.. if as a beginner, which TLR should I look for? What should I know before purchasing one? Is it expensive to process this film at the store?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

GlennSan
09-05-2010, 7:19pm
I also have the Yashicamat LM. Simple, reliable and great results. I think I paid $100 for it. In fact, one of my all time favourite portraits was taken with that camera. I hand printed it (B&W) to 20x24 inches and gave it to a relative as a gift.

I've never used any of the others mentioned so can't comment on them.

How did your work out SF?

doigal
12-05-2010, 7:22pm
i bought my C33 for AU$120 with the chrome 80mm lens a couple of years ago. Loved it so much that when i was in the UK last year and came across a C3 (had to leave the c33 at home because of weight) with a 55mm (the wide angle) lens for 110 quid i snapped that up too. Great cameras if you can put up with their weight.

PLenty of examples here http://www.flickr.com/photos/doigal/tags/tlr/

smallfooties
13-05-2010, 12:34am
my yashica is fantabulous! I love it so much! The pictures it produces are really sharp.... but i don't know why some times there are blank shots.... hmmm....
Anyhow... it's one of my prized possessions!