PDA

View Full Version : Handy Tutorial ..

bigdazzler
25-12-2009, 2:12pm
Although this video is based around using E-TTL with the new PWs ... it gives a very easy to understand explanation on how your shutter works in relation to flash exposure, sync speeds etc .. Thought it might be handy for people just getting into flash and that may have stumbled across the dreaded black verticals in their shots and may not have known why .. :)

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/pocketwizard_controltl_optimiz/

I @ M
25-12-2009, 3:36pm
It is a worthwhile watch for a good understanding of the relationship between shutters and flashes. :th3:

Of course if they owned a Nikon they would have all that covered already. :D

clm738
25-12-2009, 7:43pm
Thanks Darren, I have a bit more understanding now and will watch the rest of their tuts.

NextPagePhoto
03-01-2010, 4:59pm
Thanks, I found this handy for my strobist learning curve

MrJorge
04-01-2010, 11:14pm
Great little clip. Explained a lot. Thanks.

pvoices1971
07-01-2010, 6:22pm
good little clip - explains it well

coolie21
08-01-2010, 4:14pm
Good tute - makes me want some of those suckas.... :)

Bear Dale
08-01-2010, 4:17pm
Cheers for the link Darren.

bigdazzler
08-01-2010, 5:12pm
Good tute - makes me want some of those suckas.... :)

I know ,, they are nice arent they. Almost makes me wanna jump ship to Canon :eek: .... Almost ;)

Gildarossi
08-01-2010, 5:42pm
:wd: Great post makes me think about getting one for my canon.
Gildarossi

bigdazzler
08-01-2010, 5:48pm
they are a fantastic tool for wedding photographers ..... very quick, very easy. Perfect for on the run, high pressure portraits.

See how he simply stuck his camera in A priority and started firing ... all exposure (even HSS) is handled by the ETTL PW metering ...... awesome gear.

pollen
08-01-2010, 5:52pm
Thanks for the link

The actual device themselves sound good in theory but in practice it is a highly flawed system. Canon's most powerful flash is a nasty match with the PW TTL's because of RF interference, and the problem with HSS is that in times when you need it (high ambient light) you also need a lot of flash power. When using HSS though, your Flash Power is cut significantly sometimes by as much as 4-5 stops...they don't seem to mention the practical issues when promoting the product

bigdazzler
08-01-2010, 6:04pm
I had heard something about range issues with the 580 I think it was ?? I dont really keep up with Canon news.

If it works anywhere near as accurately and reliably as it appears in that video, it looks like a pretty good system to me.

mikec
12-01-2010, 11:26am
I have a set of the new PW's and use them with a 580EX II. While I haven't fully tested their maximum range, I was playing around and getting something like 15m inside the house behind walls. Sure it's not a huge distance and they can do more but how often do you really go more?

pollen, the lack of power when using HSS is a problem with most flash units no? So why would they make a big deal out of something that is common. I don't believe it is PW's system that is flawed either but in both cases it comes back to Canon's system.

mikec
15-01-2010, 12:53am
Just a quick update too, I was talking to the importer for PW about the AC5 (insulator for the flash) and apparently the CE version doesn't have as a bad problem as the FCC units sold in the US do. I'll do a test with mine on the weekend and see how much range I get. It'll be interesting to see, since I've only ever used them inside for work.

Gluggy
22-01-2010, 3:24pm
Great link Darren and I'm interested to hear how your tests go mike. Cheers

cupic
22-01-2010, 7:58pm
Great all round tutorial

cheers

Brodie
27-01-2010, 8:36pm
Yeah some of the canon flashes cause interference with the pocker wizards.

The Canon 430EX II, 550EX, 420EX and 270EX have excellent range because they do not have high RF noise emissions.

The 580EX II, 580EX and 430EX however, do emit strong RF noise across the frequency range used by PocketWizard radios both on the US versions and the Australian ones.

However do not fear! There are a couple of solutions to minimise this interference and get the maximum range out of your PW's.

Check this website out here to get optimal range: http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/range/