PDA

View Full Version : Night Shots

BlackOrchid
24-12-2009, 6:01pm
I'm not entirely sure this where I am supposed to be posting this, but I wanted to try my hand at doing some night photography.
Can anyone give me some tips and hints on how I can get some good quality shots? I'm using a Canon EOS 1000D, with just a kit lens.

Scotty72
24-12-2009, 6:22pm
I'm not entirely sure this where I am supposed to be posting this, but I wanted to try my hand at doing some night photography.
Can anyone give me some tips and hints on how I can get some good quality shots? I'm using a Canon EOS 1000D, with just a kit lens.

Your question is a little too broad.

What do you mean by night photography? Christmas lights? Cityscapes? Land or Beachscapes? Parties? Using flash or no flash?

Scotty

dbax
24-12-2009, 7:44pm
you could also have a look through the Night/astro forum
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77
theres a hints and tips section and just reading some of the posts you should find lots of advice:D:xmas:

BlackOrchid
24-12-2009, 8:36pm
Sorry about that scotty. I was looking at doing landscape shots, mostly beach stuff, and some city stuff. I'd also like to take pictures of christmas lights and fireworks....I guess I'm being broad again lol I just really dont know where to start

Thanks for the tip dbax

wazonthehill
09-01-2010, 2:45pm
The best solution to trying your hand at night photography is just do it!

The only two starting points are
1) use tripod (or rock or fence)
2) use cable release or delay timer (where you press the button and it takes a shot 10 (?) seconds later.)

things to play with,
lock iso at iso 200, but play with that, see what creates noise.
Stick camera on "p" mode and see what it suggests the settings should be
Stick camera on TV mode and set time to 10 or 20 or 30 seconds, and see what happens
Have noise reduction turned on in the menus (the camera will take 30 seconds to process a 30 second shot

play and review results

Have Fun