PDA

View Full Version : Paper for HP Vivera inks

JD90
24-12-2009, 1:45pm
I am wanting to find a suitable alternative paper to HP brand papers for use with HP vivera inks. Currently i am using HP Premium and have absolutely no issues but am finding it difficult getting hold of the premium stock.

I have tried Canon premium papers but they fade after a short while. The HP does not (noticeably) and is quoted to 100+ years under glass. The ink is tuned to the paper.

To save spending a packet experimenting on papers, has anyone know of a paper that works as well as the HP with the HP vivera inks?

Cheers

Jeremy

ricktas
24-12-2009, 1:56pm
Have a look at this site: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

Its sole purpose is to test papers and inks and report back on them

JD90
24-12-2009, 2:01pm
Have a look at this site: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

Its sole purpose is to test papers and inks and report back on them

Thanks.

JD90
24-12-2009, 2:32pm
I actually used this site before I bought my printer a few years ago. Thanks for the memory jolt.

For someone else who may be curious, the number of papers specifically tested with the Vivera inks is limited to two, Ilford and Harmon (no issues from what I can see). I guess these are the most popular papers or most compatible with the ink chemistry. Tests on Kodak papers are still being done.

Thanks Rick

Cheers
Jeremy

MarkW
24-12-2009, 5:34pm
Jeremy
Are you looking for a gloss paper?

If you are, I have found that the Epson Ultra Gloss has given me the best reproductions as its the whitest white I have found to date, even compared to the Illford range.

As for reproduction, I am using Epson pigment inks.

ricktas
24-12-2009, 5:51pm
I use the Epson ultra glossy as well (with Epson printers) and agree with Mark, if you want glossy, it is a very nice paper to use.

JD90
24-12-2009, 8:59pm
Jeremy
Are you looking for a gloss paper?

If you are, I have found that the Epson Ultra Gloss has given me the best reproductions as its the whitest white I have found to date, even compared to the Illford range.

As for reproduction, I am using Epson pigment inks.

I use the Epson ultra glossy as well (with Epson printers) and agree with Mark, if you want glossy, it is a very nice paper to use.

Thanks but that was not my question. What papers other than HP will work with HP Vivera inks?
I have tried Canon Pro Gloss, Semi matt, matt and they fade not to mention the setting up the colour reproduction. So there is obviously something in the ink/paper chemistry that is mismatched. I would expect Epson paper and Epson inks to produce outstanding results, as I have found with HP paper and HP Vivera inks. What happens when you mix n match HP ink & Epson paper?

Cheers
Jeremy

MarkW
24-12-2009, 9:08pm
Jeremy

From what you have said, this HP ink you are using sounds like its a dye ink ie the colur is throughout the fluid. If this is the case, it wont matter what paper you use, the colour in the ink is what is fading. Epson genuine inks are pigment inks ie little tiny particles floating in suspension, which is why they wont fade.

JD90
24-12-2009, 9:57pm
Jeremy

From what you have said, this HP ink you are using sounds like its a dye ink ie the colur is throughout the fluid. If this is the case, it wont matter what paper you use, the colour in the ink is what is fading. Epson genuine inks are pigment inks ie little tiny particles floating in suspension, which is why they wont fade.

Thanks Mark. Thats why I asked specifically about HP Vivera inks in my orginal post and title.

Yes I know the ink fades, but not on HP premium papers.

Cheers
Jeremy

Calxoddity
24-12-2009, 10:20pm
Hi,
I have both a HP Vivera dye ink printer and an Epson R1900 pigment ink printer - not all Epsons are pigment, so blanket statements re brands of paper don't always apply.

I too had similar issues finding HP Premium Plus Photo paper, so I went experimenting. For permanency with Vivera dye inks, you want papers with a swellable polymer surface layer. The easiest way to spot these if they don't say so on the packet is that they'll have something saying they're unsuitable for use with pigment printers (the particles can't get into the swellable polymer layer.).

Ilford has these in gloss and pearl, as do other manufacturers such as the Epson Ultra glossy (but not the Premium Gloss).

The Ilford papers work pretty well with using the HP Premium Plus profile, or you can use the Ilford ones downloadable from the Ilford website. I have no experience with the Epson papers, so can't help you there.

PS - here's the link to the Ilford Galerie Classic gloss paper - it should work a treat for you: http://www.ilford.com/en/products/galerie/classic/classicMediaGloss.asp
Regards,
Calx