PDA

View Full Version : Agfa is back

Krzys
22-12-2009, 10:05am
Someone (presume Efke) has once again taken over the brand name of Agfa and is now distributing film and darkroom products again. I recommended everyone get some Agfapan AXP 100 and soup it in Rodinal. I had one roll and it was a real treat. :xmas31:

TOM
28-12-2009, 11:47pm
in the process of getting some Adox CMS 20, among others, from Germany. I'm also going to bring in some Diafine and other hard to get items, but I'll keep an eye out for some Agfa gear.

Krzys
28-12-2009, 11:50pm
From what I hear this is just publicity for pushing some remaining stocks they discovered. No new film will be made since the factory is pretty much dismantled.

jev
29-12-2009, 8:18am
The original factory may be dismantled, but according to FotoImpex GmbH the Agfa assets are now in their hands and they restarted production (branded ADOX). Check out fotoimpex.de for more information (or Efke.de, which actually is the same thing ;)).

TOM
29-12-2009, 8:46am
thanks for that info jev....and i see the rebranded Adox are using mostly older Adox recipes/formulas, and older techniques such as dip and dunk coating of emulsions. The CMS 20 is the highest resolution film in the world, and they claim it can produce a digital file equivelant to around a 500 megapixal Digital Camera! Iv'e seen 400% crops from this film and the results are jaw dropping.

IanB
29-12-2009, 8:53am
Agfa; now that was good stuff. They used to have the best colour film developing chemicals; only three different bottles required. :th3:

hoffy
29-12-2009, 9:10am
Does this mean we will see fresh batches of Rodinal?

TOM
29-12-2009, 9:15am
Hoffy, I can order some rodinal with the next shipment, if you require.

hoffy
29-12-2009, 9:18am
OK, let me know (BTW, where are you getting your gear from, if I can ask). I did notice that totals have it on the shelf at the moment, but I had spent enough last time I was there!

Krzys
29-12-2009, 9:29am
I get Rodinal cheap from Les Porter in NSW

peterb666
29-12-2009, 10:09am
Agfa; now that was good stuff. They used to have the best colour film developing chemicals; only three different bottles required. :th3:

I have mixed feelings about Agfa. I use to do a lot of cine work in the late 70s and through to the end of the 80s.

Agfa movie film was better value than Kodak and also came in pre-striped silent format which was half the price of the sound cartridges. I used this a lot for travel as I would add a sound track and sound effects later.

Pity then that after about a decade all the developed Agfa film stock was affected by fungus/mold and is now totally unwatchable.

The Kodak stock is still like day one.

Agfa though did have some hits in the cine world including great splicing tapes.

I only played very briefly with still photography and eveloping. I tended to use Ilford B+W stuff.

Star Catcher
29-12-2009, 12:43pm
When I was shooting for Sydney media back in the 70's as freelance, I used Kodak Tri-X and Ilford FP4 and HP5. While the Ilford paper and chemicals have been proven over the years by many pro photogs. to be the best (although some will argue Kodak and Agfa are a on a par) Agfa did make some damn good chemicals and papers. My gut feeling is film and paper will come back. Not as much as we would like, but nonetheless it will be the Phoenix of Photography. Like everything else in the world, what goes round, comes round.

Rob
01-01-2010, 10:39pm
Anyone know if you can get Agfa Scala developed in Aus?

Krzys
03-01-2010, 6:15pm
Yes any pro lab should be able to do it. No less than $30 a roll though.