PDA

View Full Version : old cameras

smallfooties
22-12-2009, 12:16am
Hi guys, today i went and got an Olympus OM-1... Anybody know much about this camera? I've used it today and totally love the sound of the shutter! haha... I don't know much about Olympus but the guy told me it's much better than my Pentax Spotmatic. It came with a Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and the best thing is the meter is still in perfect working order! Unlike my Pentax... They were the same price too! Anyway, i'm in perth and was wondering where i can get lens for the Olympus (i'm glad it's not a screw mount too!).
I will be sending in the film for printing tml and i hope the results will be good... In the mean time, would like to know if this camera is better than the pentax K1000 which i was originally looking for?
Old cameras like these are so addictive... I might be purchasing a Canon AE-1 off ebay.... should i or should i not bother???

hoffy
22-12-2009, 12:30am
Only one person can tell whether you should bother and thats you. There are a few here who still shoot film and still do silly things like buy old film cameras (I bought a Minolta 7 today, which is the last of the minolta film cameras).

That being said, once you start playing around with processing your own film, then it starts to become addictive.

Krzys
22-12-2009, 12:31am
Olympus OM-1 is known to be the best of its kind - a tank. Though the others (K1000 and AE-1) are just as durable and a lot will argue which is better. To me its all down to which mount offers better lenses for cost since all of the bodies are brilliant.

If I were you I would get some lenses or a rangefinder camera. Instead of buying the same box under another name.

smallfooties
22-12-2009, 12:40am
thanks for replying... i've been using film for quite some time now although i also have a dslr but i find film so much more fun. I do also process my own film but not much since i have to go into the art therapy center at my workplace to do it...
hmmm i agree i shouldn't bother with the AE-1 but i'm so tempted!!! Where can i find lenses in perth for the OM-1 though? I'd probably try camera electronics tml but their prices are so steep....

Tonyj
22-12-2009, 12:44am
It's a beaut little camera that takes rough work. It was the standard camera among archaeologists in the 1970s. Some of 'em are still working.

Krzys
22-12-2009, 1:41am
Ive got an AE-1 and 50 1.4 I might sell for the right price :)

mongo
22-12-2009, 7:58am
It is an excellent camera. The zuiko lenses are some of the best and not expensive but maybe a little hard to find. The “Photographic Trader” magazine may have quite a few bits and lenses for that camera for sale in it. Buy it at some newsagents.

peterb666
22-12-2009, 8:09am
There are lots of good lenses on eBay. Some of the faster wide and mid tele lenses have become quite expensive as there are a lot of people with 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras who like using old Olympus glass.

The more common lenses like the f/2.8 24 and 28mm lenses, 35mm, 135 and 200mm lesnes are good value for money as are most of the zooms.

There are lots of fairly cheap accessories for the OM cameras other than lenses. Dedicated flashes are cheap as Olympus changed the pin layout when they went to digital.

Krzys
22-12-2009, 9:45am
If you want ultra wide then get the FD 17mm f/4 amazing value give that it is distortionless.

TOM
22-12-2009, 11:06am
congratulations on your new purchase, and I hope you find a couple of nice lenses.

hoffy
22-12-2009, 12:31pm
Another good thing about the Olympus gear is some of the lenses are really thin (nothing like bucking the trend by using more conspicuous gear, compared to the in your face look of modern DSLR equipment). I am not sure what the focal length is, but there are a few decent "Pancake" lenses available for Olympus.

Also, with the right adaptor, you can use Minolta MC/MD lenses quite successfully.

smallfooties
22-12-2009, 8:24pm
thanks guys for all your replies... today i went and bought a 28mm Tokina lens... cost me $50... :eek: But i had really good service so i didn't mind spending that kind of money...
I really like this camera cos it allows me to do double exposures as well. Not sure if my spotmatic does? Also, is it possible to get the metering fixed on the spotmatic? Would it be expensive? I think the metering makes things much easier as i am still learning.
Kryz - how much would you like to sell the AE -1 for? keke...

Krzys
22-12-2009, 10:25pm
You can do a double exposure on any camera. Just press in the rewind button and advance the film. The film should stay stationary while the shutter is cocked.

Can't guarantee anything though.

smallfooties
22-12-2009, 11:58pm
I don't think you can do double exposures on the spotmatic... i've pressed the button at the bottom but the film still moves... or maybe it's just my camera... hmmmm....?
Anyway, i'm tempted to either sell or trade in my spotmatic for another camera... :p