PDA

View Full Version : Corel

rwg717
21-12-2009, 11:11pm
Wondering from members who have used COREL Paint Shop Pro PHOTO2X thought of the program, I have only used it a limited amount and don't have the experience to know if it is rubbish or not???

Whisky_Mac
22-12-2009, 10:09am
In about 2000 I was working in Melbourne sending files to an imagesetter (a machine used in the prepress industry) and we received files from applications like Photoshop, Quarkxpress. pagemaker, Illustrator, Freehand and Corel. At the time it was up to version 8 while photoshop was still about version 2 (not CS2 which is actually version 10 or 11). As usual it was a pig to run the files to the imagesetter and one of the guys on the floor made the comment that if they got it right they would not have needed so many version to try and get it right.

Having said that, the signwriters use it a lot but it is not a patch on photoshop or elements.

jev
22-12-2009, 10:40pm
What a nonsense - if they got their facts right they would've known how the software progressed from a paint-like software into something completely different.

X2 is fine, you can compare it to PhotoShop Elements. I guess 95% of all PS users don't need any more than what PSP has to offer.

Tannin
22-12-2009, 10:51pm
X2 is fine

You mean apart from being glacially slow, a huge memory hog, lacking some basic features including the ability to preserve EXIF data in common filetypes, and buggy as anything ... apart from that it's fine? Fair enough. Lord knows, I'm no fan of Photoslug, but Painshop Pro is even worse. Still, at least it isn't $1000. I suppose that's something.

RWG - is the slowness bugging you? Has it been crashing on you? If you are doing OK with it, then it is about $900 cheaper than Photoshop, and does pretty much the same job. But if not, then you will need to look elsewhere. Make absolutely sure that you try the free 30-day version properly - once you spend the money, it's too late to start discovering major problems. Try it and see.

peterb666
22-12-2009, 11:04pm
I use Corel PaintShop Pro X1 and have no problems with it. Admitedly, I do most of what I can in Picasa these days.

I have been using PaintShop Pro from the early Windows days in my workplace, mainly for image capture and file conversion. Tasks it does well. I wouldn't say it is the best photo editing program out there but it can be quite powerful with layers and stuff like that if you care to learn how to use it.

I have never found it to be slow nor bug laden and represents good value for money.

I cannot comment if it is better or worse than PhotoShop Elements as I don't use it. I have used Lightroom 3 beta but find it slow and it can be difficult to find what you are looking for when you know what you want to do.

I have used the full blown PhotoShop on Macs. While I hate Macs, I really like PhotoShop but there is no way I could justify the 1k asking price. I paid $19 for my copy of PaintShop Pro XI.

Derek-C
23-12-2009, 6:58am
I use PSP x2 and while I am no expert or anywhere near it ,it does everything that I need .

My wife still uses version 7 and is more than happy with that.

Derek

rwg717
23-12-2009, 8:10pm
Yes, it is slow and difficult to use and I really can't see a lot of difference when the prints come out of the machine....:xmas31: