PDA

View Full Version : What Monopod To Buy?

wideangle
21-12-2009, 11:42am
Have been thinking about getting a sturdy monopod for times I just want to use it instead of my 3 leg tripod. Questions are:

1. How many stops am a looking at in terms of getting sharpness when using one?

2. There are so many of them on the market, what to choose?? To break it down a bit, I reckon I would go Manfrotto.

3. Do you need to also buy a plate for the monopod, or does the camera just screw on directly to it?

kiwi
21-12-2009, 11:45am
What will you be placeing on the monopod lens/body/weight and what sort of photographt, sport/birds ?

etc

There are 100's of choices

I have a Manfrotto 691B which is great for what I do
I had a Fiesol Carbon Fibre also which was way lighter and more compact

Kym
21-12-2009, 11:51am
1. Depends on how steady you are, shutter speed and any SR/IS/OS/VR the camera/lens has. A monopod is better than nothing but obviously not as stable as a tripod.

2. Check the height! Are you tall? then make sure your not stooped and think about shots up into trees etc for wild life. Make sure its tall enough.

3. There is usually a monopod head and plate. All my stuff uses RC2 plates.

Ozzi Paul
21-12-2009, 11:58am
I have the 679B Manfrotto monopod, its a good strong unit. It has a dual screw fitting on top that will fit 2 different screw thread sizes, (DSLR, Medium Format). You can mount a ball head or trigger grip on it but it doesn't come with one. Its size is from 630mm to 1570mm, and is quite strong even when extended. It has good strong clamps on the legs that can be adjusted for a tighter hold if needed to, but that is unlikely. Not sure on how many stops they will allow but it would have to be a couple at least. Not sure what this model costs now but I only paid around $80 from a store, would be cheaper online.

Lani
21-12-2009, 12:13pm
Hey Thomas, we have a Manfrotto 680b with a 234rc head....you are welcome to borrow it and see what you think. Not suitable for a heavy lens camera combo, but the camera can just screw onto the monopod if you need it to.

wideangle
21-12-2009, 4:51pm
Hey Thomas, we have a Manfrotto 680b with a 234rc head....you are welcome to borrow it and see what you think. Not suitable for a heavy lens camera combo, but the camera can just screw onto the monopod if you need it to.

cheers, thanks heaps Lani, might take you up on that offer, I got thinkin when at the local club and saw all the tripods and monopods!

I would mainly be using it for times when I am walking around the bush or cities when I don't want to lug around my tripod and set up every time I see something. The heaviest I would be looking at using, including camera would be around 1.2kg.

Scotty72
21-12-2009, 4:57pm
I have a manfrotto with the ball head (that is essential if you want to quickly and easily level your horizon).

Not sure how many stops you'll get but, it is significant.

Scotty

ausguitarman
21-12-2009, 11:57pm
I just bought the Manfrotto 682B and the 322RC2 Head.

I recently bought a Silk monopod but I suffer from shake pretty badly so I'm hoping the retractable legs on the 682B and the head will help me out.

pollen
22-12-2009, 12:31am
A light and sturdy monopod is essential, just like a Tripod. I recommend a Gitzo GM2541 as a budget option, or a GM5561T if you can spend a bit more and need the small size and high load limit

I currently use a Manfrotto 682B because it can stand up by itself:

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p796218499-5.jpg

But it's a heavy, hard, big piece of poo :( If Gitzo made a carbon fibre compact version of the Manfrotto 682B I would buy it in a heartbeat

jksgoh
22-12-2009, 1:34am
pollen,
i've also been looking for a monopod for travelling and been wondering how sturdy those monopods with the extra little legs. Are they sturdy enough to hold themselves up? does it have to be on a dead flat surface??. So i'm guessing from your photo you're confident enough to leave it standing by itself???

(OP, sorry to hijack your thread!)

AndrewSBrown
22-12-2009, 1:46am
Hi,
I don't know about the stops issue but I can tell you my experience.
I bought a monopod to shoot the V8s at winton last year. I bought a Silk carbon-fiber unit that is beautifully built and very light. It's just a fraction short though. So, if your tall, just check them out in the store.
When I was at the circuit, there were a couple of pro's taking photos and they had taller Manfrotto monos, so they are available in longer lengths. The freedom of the monopod is great. Good-luck.

Analog6
22-12-2009, 6:37am
I have a Manfrotto 680B + 322RC2 head and am very happy with the combo. I have used it with the heavy 1D bodies and 100-400 lens for surfing shots and it is great, takes the strain off my hands, and gives a bit of extra stability.

peterb666
22-12-2009, 8:15am
I have a very light camera (Olympus E-P1) and can get away with a Manfrotto 790B. The first thing I did was add a ball head to it. Fortunately I had a spare Slik SBH-100Q head that was too light for tripod use.

My criteria at the time I got the monopod was super small and super light. I would go heavier now and carbon fibre.

How much does it improve? That's hard to say. I started using monopods with cine cameras and they were just the trick. Just removing the up/down movement is fine when taking moving images.

For still work, you still have the problem of sideways movement and I have found unless I leave IS on, a monopod isn't a lot of help. The main reason I use a monopod is that by reducing the movment, it makes it a lot easier to work with long lenses in poor light.

For most people, if you have a relatively light/compact tridpod, just extend a single leg and use it as a monopod. You get the same effect even if not as elegant.

MrJorge
22-12-2009, 10:53am
I'd just say have a think about why you want it and if you think you'll really need it. I thought I'd get one for sports days @ the footy etc for my 70-200 f/2.8... used it for one game and didn't find it that helpful. The 70-200 f/2.8 isn't that heavy to lug around for a game or two for me. And it just got in the way sometimes. Plus for footy and sports generally shutter speed is high anyway so no need for stabilisation.

I can see why sports togs with big heavy lenses, long focal length lenses need one but I just overthought how much I'd need one.

Would you use it a lot? If not do you need it? Is what I'm saying.

Knawful
22-12-2009, 12:47pm
679b 'frotto here. Held the D200 +70-200vr no drama's.
I liked it as i could use it as a walking stick when taking photo's in the bush..I'm over 6ft and didnt have to stoop much to use it at max height.
Ballhead's not needed, screw it straight into the body.

gaidin
22-12-2009, 7:50pm
So you can screw a monopod straight into the lens tripod collar without a ballhead? Ive always thought you needed one?

Knawful
22-12-2009, 8:56pm
So you can screw a monopod straight into the lens tripod collar without a ballhead? Ive always thought you needed one?

On most manfrotto's i've seen, yeah.

peterb666
22-12-2009, 10:09pm

The advantage of the ballhead is that it allows you to change the angle of the camera, principally up and down. Manfrotto also make an excellent universal joint head specifically for tripods in a standard and quick release version...

234 (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2375?livid=107|117&lsf=117&child=1)

234RC (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2376?livid=107|117&lsf=117&child=1)

Most of the Manfrotto monopods use a dual 3/8" / 1/4" connector so you can attach to either the camera or to a Manfrotto head. I think only the lower end digi-monopods and modo series come with only a 1/4" connector.

I find the head adds a lot more flexibility and ease of use in confined spaces in particular. I no longer use my monopod without a head.

kingwheatie
22-12-2009, 11:14pm
Just to throw some more Manfrotto numbers around i use the 681B.
The difference being that it only has two locking clips and three leg sections
has a max height of 1.6m or 5'2", same height as me lol and weighs .8kg.
I use it with a Really Right Stuff lever quick release plate to hold a Nikon 300/2.8 and D300.
Quick to set up with only two legs to extend and adjust.

phild
23-12-2009, 8:15am
Just to throw a stick (or a monopod) in the spokes, I've just ordered a Benro 4 section carbon fibre monopod (MC68 m8) (http://www.linkdelight.com/index.php/Tripods-Heads/Benro-8x-Carbon-Fiber-MC-68M8-4-sections-Monopod/Detailed-product-flyer.html) from Link Delight, 400 grams, load 12Kg 49.5cm extends to 155cm, the Manfrotto is 770 grams load 10Kg 50.8cm and extends to 152.4.

The Benro is cost me AU$99 including registered Airmail.

Jcas
23-12-2009, 9:47am
I had a Benro tripod but i couldnt stop the leg locks from slipping so i opted for another brand with the monopod.

I got this (http://www.giottos.com/MM-55.htm) one and i love it.

pollen
23-12-2009, 3:09pm
pollen,
i've also been looking for a monopod for travelling and been wondering how sturdy those monopods with the extra little legs. Are they sturdy enough to hold themselves up? does it have to be on a dead flat surface??. So i'm guessing from your photo you're confident enough to leave it standing by itself???

(OP, sorry to hijack your thread!)

Hi it does shake around a bit but it does hold. It won't fall by itself, but I would be a bit worried using it in heavy wind. The thing about the monopod is that it is very heavy. With the ballhead, it is heavier than my Gitzo Traveller Tripod, so it is stable in that regard. But the legs are way too thin and short, and I wouldn't trust leaving it by itself.

I have taken group photos with it (with me in it), and I do leave it indoors when I know that nobody else will be around, but that's about it.

Yeah it works best for flat surfaces, on hills and stuff it's not too good :(

gaidin
23-12-2009, 4:50pm
I find the head adds a lot more flexibility and ease of use in confined spaces in particular. I no longer use my monopod without a head.

Putting a head on the mono would also add a fair bit of extra weight too right? I was lugging around my tripod last night looking for xmas lights and noticed that even with a tripod having a ballhead added on the kgs :)

peterb666
23-12-2009, 5:09pm
My monopod weighs 297g and my ball head complete with quick release plate weighs 132g for an all up weight of 429g. Not exactly adding on the kgs. Small ball heads without a quick release plate weigh in at around 100g.

pollen
23-12-2009, 5:50pm
:O !!!

297g! 132g! *Drool*

My monopod weighs 1.15 KG and my Ballhead weighs 650 grams :(

My Tripod weighs 970 grams :D

gaidin
19-01-2010, 4:05pm
Sorry to bring this thread resurrected back from the dead, but Ive finally got around to shopping around for my own monopod!

Looking around at the Gitzo and Manfrotto models (some of the ones listed above), why are most of them so short? They seem to top out at around 160cm. Im about 190cm so Im worried Im going to be stooped over trying to take a photo with one of these now?

etherial
19-01-2010, 6:30pm
Remember you body gives you maybe 100mm from the mounting plate to the viewfinder, and your eye isn't on top of your head either. But yes should get a tall one, you can always adjust it down a bit, whereas you can't make one that is too short any taller!

peterb666
19-01-2010, 7:53pm
Looking around at the Gitzo and Manfrotto models (some of the ones listed above), why are most of them so short? They seem to top out at around 160cm. Im about 190cm so Im worried Im going to be stooped over trying to take a photo with one of these now?

Unless you are a snail, your eyes are around 13 to 15cm down from the top of your head.

Pull a ball head on monopod and you add around 7 to 10cm, or a standard head, 9 to 12cm.

As noted in another post, add 10cm for the viewfinder above the base plate. If using live view, well that is only 5cm to the centre of the LCD.

Consequently, a monopond with head (and I would really recommend a small head for a monopod) that is 160cm should be just fine for a 190cm lad like yourself. Why don't you head down to a photo store and give them a test drive.

gaidin
20-01-2010, 12:41pm
Yep all good points guys, thanks for responding :)

I might take a look at a quick release head to pair with one.

haha yes you are correct, Im not a snail and my eyes are not on the top of my head ;)

graemelee
22-07-2011, 9:55pm
Looks like Manfrotto is popular? Can you advise what the difference is between Manfrotto 680B and 681B Monopod?

I need one for a Nikon D90 for sport photography,mainly kids football and motor car shots

graemelee
22-07-2011, 10:01pm
Will the 681B suit a Nikon D90? and would you recommend over the 4 section 680B model as I think the 680B is smaller in length?

kiwi
23-07-2011, 6:35am
What lens do you have ?

fairy bombs
04-08-2011, 7:40pm
I bought a manfrotto 681B monopod last week,but I feel its not going to get much use for the type of photography I do.

I am going to put it up for sale,if anyone is interested send a PM.:th3: