PDA

View Full Version : 450d -Where have my AF points gone??

homebrew
20-12-2009, 9:07pm
:confused013

Hi All,

I have a little problem with my 450d, I used a brush with one of those little bellows on the end from a reputable camera shop, only problem is it left more bristles in the camera than on the brush.

I tried cleaning them all out and had to use a cotton bud with some lens cleaner as a result, however the 9 AF points (led) don't glow any more, the middle point has a little hint of the red color but thats it.

Any advice or easy solution is appreciated, alternatively if it is a big fix for the crew at Canon does anyone know what the cost could be..

:santa:Have a great Christmas one and all.:santa:

Cheers

Homebrew

ricktas
20-12-2009, 9:09pm
They have a sensor that detects the brightness and the glow intensity changes depending on the scene. Are you sure there is something wrong? Try focusing in a dark room, then with the camera pointed at a lightbulb etc.

homebrew
20-12-2009, 9:33pm
Hi Ricktas,

I have tried this but no luck, thought that there may be some holes that I may have blocked or even worse still, maybe I have damaged the focussing part of the camera.

I can still use the AF point selector and through the eye piece see the green circle led (bottom right) that says that it is ready to shoot.

The shots appear to turn out alright but it's a strange one..

Homebrew

Miaow
20-12-2009, 11:13pm
hmm i have a lot of rubbish in the viewfinder on the 400D I was told to NEVER touch the af screen part (which is below the viewfinder) with anything other than air cause it will damage it being electronic - so from the sounds of what you are saying you have used a liquid inside which may have contacted the AF screen? - if you cant get those af points back working i would seriously get it checked out cause you may have damaged it

Another thing to double check is that you havent changed your AF settings to centre point only

homebrew
21-12-2009, 8:21am
Thanks Miaow,

I think that I need to get the big guns at Canon to have a look, I will continue to see if a blast or two of air will assist but hopes may be fading.

If anyone has had to have the focussing screen replaced feel free to let me know the cost.

I have attached a link to a site in the US that has some detail on removing the screen but this is to install one theirs.

Thanks in advance all.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Canon-450D-500D-Focusing-Screen--prod_450D.html

Homebrew

gcflora
21-12-2009, 8:48am
You haven't put the camera into AIServo mode have you? I know with my 40D the focus points don't light up in aiservo mode... worth checking anyway

Tannin
21-12-2009, 9:32am
GCFlora is on the money - there are a few ways to turn AF point display off. Hunt right through the scene modes and custom functons before you give up. In particular reset the camera to the factory defaults.

homebrew
22-12-2009, 3:09pm
Thanks Tannin,

I have tried all that you recommended and still no luck.

I spoke to Canon Service in Sydney and they believe that it lies with either the Focussing Lens or the Illumination Plate. Without committing to an actual cost I was advised to expect anywhere from $100 - $300 inclusive of the minimum $64.30 looksee charge.

Merry Christmas

:xmas31:

pollen
23-12-2009, 4:14pm
This happened to a friend of mine as well after he cleaned it a bit too aggressively, it's something that seems to only afflict the xxxD series :(