PDA

View Full Version : old lenses::::::

ricstew
20-12-2009, 9:32am
Hi all
If I wanted to use some older screw type lenses what would be the name of the adaptor I would need? Any idea where I could get one from locally?
cheers
Jan

Kym
20-12-2009, 9:39am
Your best option is eBay, although the local Camera House here in Adelaide has (had?) one.
FYI MattC uses an adapter.
There are two types, the really cheap ones that have issues and a proper one that does the job.
M42 to K-mount is what your looking for.

mongo
20-12-2009, 10:54am
some use a "T" mount system - very cheap to buy.

ricstew
20-12-2009, 12:16pm
ahah thats it the m42 to k mount...........not sure what a t mount does?
I am looking at a 1:35 25mm of dads...it has a broken housing but seem to be just the lense that needs to screw into ???? something. The back/housing seem to be a cap of some sort as it is solid flat plastic........no wonder I packed these away! I have no logical idea of what they are!:D
cheers
Jan

mongo
20-12-2009, 12:30pm
Jan, do not throw them away. Post some pictures of them and the mounts if you can.

ricstew
20-12-2009, 1:06pm
I will have to wait untill my camera arrives!:th3: the p&s is dead and about to be buried!
I actually seem to be missing some stuff that may have got lost in house moves over the last few years. I thought I had some bellows somewhere but the seem to have gone walkies:(
cheers
jan

StanW
20-12-2009, 1:15pm
Try TradeMe in New Zealand also

peterb666
20-12-2009, 1:19pm
It depends on the camera and the mount. Note that not all cameras will allow screw mount lenses to work properly.

Some screw mounts commonly available are:

C-mount (25mm)

Leica 39mm or M39. Frequently referred to as Leica screw mount. Also used by Canon, some old Nikons and lots of others. Very popular mount for old rangefinder cameras. Generally you won't be able to use these on a dSLR unless you are doing macro work as you cannot get them close enough to the focal plane. Same applies to C-mount above.

42mm or M42 used on many older SLRs including old Pentax cameras. Very common. This may be the same as T-mount - it isn't an area of my interest so someone may be able to confirm that.

T-2 mount is used for Telescopes. It is still 42mm but has a different thread pitch and distance to focal plane.

Anyway, have fun with the old lens and if you like to play with it, buying old lenses on eBay and dabbling with them can be cheap and bring lots of smiles.

peterb666
20-12-2009, 1:26pm
Oh, eBay is an excellent source for adapters. Generally around $25 to $50 for most.

I particularly recommend FotoDiox in the US as reasonable price and outstanding service for adapters, hoods and stepping rings. http://myworld.ebay.com.au/fotodiox_gear/

RJ Camera (aka Jinfinance) is another popular source of cheap adapters. I have bought from them

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/RJ-camera-accessory-store__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Cheers

:christmasparty:

tim71
18-05-2010, 11:10pm
you can buy directly from Kennedys go to www.pentax.com.au, most camera shops can order for you as they are a current item etc

jibbonpoint
19-05-2010, 5:49pm
Danger! Danger!

The T-mount is M42 x 0.75mm. The Pentax Screw Mount is M42 x 1mm. The second number is the pitch. If you try & screw one to the other, you will need a hacksaw. I know this to be true by the ultimate teacher.:o

And if you can get Kennedy's to return e-mails or 'phone calls on getting the Pentax K - M42 adapter, please let me know, because I'm bxxxd if I can.:angry0:

You can't get them from the USA. The one's on e-bay can be unreliable & not able to achieve infinity focus.

What I want to do is get hold of a genuine Pentax one & measure it. Then get the one's from E-bay & machine accordingly. :)

So, if anyone has a genuine one out there & is close to Cronulla, please let me come & take some measurements. I'll then report in this forum after I've completed the above.:food04:

MarkChap
19-05-2010, 7:14pm
If you are serious about getting the M42 - K mount for a Pentax, can I suggest that you forget E-Bay and the like and just go Straight to CR Kennedy, the Australian importer and get the one they sell.

About $45.00 and WILL work

My father bought one from E-Bay, was about $25.00, didn't work, yes the lens fitted, but lost infinity focus.

jibbonpoint
19-05-2010, 8:36pm
If you are serious about getting the M42 - K mount for a Pentax, can I suggest that you forget E-Bay and the like and just go Straight to CR Kennedy, the Australian importer and get the one they sell.

About $45.00 and WILL work

As I said in my post above yours MarkChap, I can't get a response from CRK; that may be because they don't sell direct. Perhaps you need to go to your local store & ask them to order it for you. However, you seem quite definite that you can purchase direct from CRK so I will call tomorrow (again). Maybe you know something I don't.

Funnily enough, I have found CRK to be fantastic on some issues but I can't get any response on this one.

To the OP:-

There are some amazing lenses out there in M42 mount; the Super Tak 50mm 1.4 & Super Tak 135 3.5 which I have & plenty of others. I believe that Pentax use the same formula today or at least up to the FA's for the 50mm 1.4.

I believed that I had a genuine adapter but coudn't get infinity. I bought an Helios 50mm f2 44M4 M42 & still couldn't get it. A treatment with an oilstone on the adapter & voila; infinity on both.

Now, you need an adapter for each lens. Well, I do anyway; it's a pain unscrewing the lens, removing the adapter to attach the K mount lens you may want to use next & then reversing the process; you will get sick of it & then won't use them. If you have, say 5 x M42 lenses = $230 for the genuine adapters. (I have three but only two adapters + a T-Mount & I use all of them. I also have a couple of Tamron adaptall 2's all with their own dedicated mount)

The adapters on e-bay are from about $8. If you can shave or shim them, then it's a great saving.

BTW, the Zenit Hellios referred to above has it's own dedicated fans as I found out later. I bought it to check the adapter:)

So, if I haven't lost you Ricstew or anyone else, that's why I'd like to measure an existing unit or buy (another) genuine one. As much to satisfy my curiosity as to have all the Taks ready to go.

jibbonpoint
21-05-2010, 10:39am
Danger! Danger!

So, if anyone has a genuine one out there & is close to Cronulla, please let me come & take some measurements. I'll then report in this forum after I've completed the above.:food04:

Firstly, let me say that my above proposition was naive in the extreme; obviously you should never let a stranger into your abode, particularly one that threatens to brandish a micrometer.:o

Secondly & finally, CR Kennedy will not supply the above adapter; (I was able to contact them) they wholesale. You have to order them through your local store. They do, currently have, stock.

I have just ordered one through Digidirect at Miranda at a cost of $99

That is correct $99

:eek:

Anyway, if it will give you full use of those wonderful old lenses, it's worth it.

MarkChap
21-05-2010, 11:20am
Well there you go, I am sure that my dad got his Direct from Kennedy's in Brissy, hmmm, have to double check that now.

I am also sure it was way less than $99.00, have to check that as well

Don't want to give out any more dodgy information.

jibbonpoint
21-05-2010, 12:10pm
I am also sure it was way less than $99.00, have to check that as well

I'll bet it was too. It's US$50 but you can't get it sent to an overseas address.

Anyway, I've been trying to get my hands on an original for so long that I just put my hands up, paid cash because I couldn't stand the double shock of looking at it on my credit card. :action:

macca67
21-05-2010, 2:25pm
I have two m42 k adapters third party from ebay, have had no issues yet. Dont get the ones that have a flange you will lose infinity focus. The ones I got fit flush with the mount and have been using on K10d and K1000(film).:)

ving
21-05-2010, 2:28pm
I picked up a m42 to nikon F-mount on eaby for alot less than the prices mentioned above... they are cheap as!

cupic
27-05-2010, 10:50pm
Picked up a genuine M42 Asahi Pentax for less than $20 from the states

cheers

StanW
28-05-2010, 7:53am
Heck, I see thos arapters on TradeMe here at a LOT less than $99.

jibbonpoint
28-05-2010, 8:27am
I got mine yesterday. I wanted a genuine Pentax adapter. Just one. I too have adapters from e-bay but I want to check the dimensions of the genuine one for the reasons I mentioned above.

tim71
28-05-2010, 7:16pm
Digital camera wharehouse can order the genuine pentax Mount Adapter K part no 30120 from CR Kennedys, I paid $49.50 in january so your local camera store should be able to do the same.

The instructions say to intsall/fit the adapter first to the camera body and then screw in the lens, thus you only need one adapter. A ball point pen is required to click it into place. I had thought about buying at least two adapters before reading this.

Rather than buying an adpater for each m42lens I will eventually get a second body that I can dedicate to my m42 supertaks, ie., the adapter will stay fixed in this body and then its just like the old spotmatic days!

there is a bloke in California (I think definitely US) that makes all sorts of adapters, I don't have the website but found it when looking at Voitlandergier (not spelt correctly) lenses. Voitlandgeir do a adapter for their old lenses to fourthirds mount, so may be if you google this. I will try and find it again as it was a very usful website for learning about adapters.

tim71
28-05-2010, 7:51pm
G'day Jibbonpoint,

have a look at this website for info on adapters

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptslr.htm

I have now learnt how to spell Voigtlander!! almost as nice as supertaks!

tim71
28-05-2010, 7:53pm
sorry Jibbonpoint didn't realise you had just bought an adapter I was working from an earlier reply of yours

jibbonpoint
30-05-2010, 9:59am
sorry Jibbonpoint didn't realise you had just bought an adapter I was working from an earlier reply of yours

No worries, Tim. I wouldn't mind knowing though, how much other's paid for a genuine adapter, just to check if Digidirect had a lend of me or not.

tim71
31-05-2010, 10:31pm
looks like they were twice the going price

jibbonpoint
01-06-2010, 8:31pm
Yep, so we don't go to Digidirect now, do we? It cost me $50 more than it should. I'll get my money's worth eventually but I won't be going there again. :) No problem.

tim71
01-06-2010, 10:27pm
site sponsor dirt cheap cameras seems to stock a bit of pentax plus they have a shop in the Sydney CBD

jibbonpoint
24-06-2010, 3:37am
Well, from a link from C R Kennedy's web site, guess what?

https://www.crkennedy.com.au/pentax/index.php?q=node/166

Apparently direct from Pentax Australia, an M42 - K mount adapter for $59

tim71
24-06-2010, 10:48pm
I would go back to digiDirect and ask them if they made a mistake.

jibbonpoint
26-06-2010, 4:56pm
Good idea, thanks Tim.

wedgtail
06-07-2010, 5:13pm
I bought mine from Ted's Adelaide in dec 2009 49.50.
cheers Mark