PDA

View Full Version : What do I need!

Lani Schlink
19-12-2009, 9:23pm
I'm just getting started in my career and have close to no idea what sort of equipment I need.
I'm doing Pregnancy, Newborn and baby photography. Some will be done inside my not yet finished studio and some outside.

In your opinion, what equipment is best for me (what type of canon camera, lenses,studio lighting and equipment ect). There is so much I need as I'am basically starting from scratch. I now own a Canon D400, 85mm, macro 100mm f1.8, and a sturdy tripod. I'm aware the list could go on and on here but just to give me some sort of idea.:confused013

Cheers

lani

kiwi
19-12-2009, 9:28pm
Id suggest a 7D, 85 f/1.2, alienbees studio lights, white and black backdrops and $20000 worth of other gear, insurance, a business plan, accounting advice you name it

Its very hard to put a start and finish on it

What cant you do now would be a good place to start ?

MarkChap
19-12-2009, 10:30pm
I don't know, but in my heart of hearts I have to ask

If you do not know what gear you need, are you sure you are ready to making a business of photography.

What are you trying to achieve that your current gear can't do ??
Is budget a big concern ??

ricktas
19-12-2009, 10:46pm
I don't know, but in my heart of hearts I have to ask

If you do not know what gear you need, are you sure you are ready to making a business of photography.

What are you trying to achieve that your current gear can't do ??
Is budget a big concern ??

I agree with Mark. If you do not have an understand of what gear is needed, then I too, feel you might be trying to progress into photography as a business, way to quickly.

Gregg Bell
19-12-2009, 11:09pm
I agree with Mark too, you could buy everything we suggest, and be $1000's out of pocket to realize you might only use 20% of the stuff, the fact that you're asking us is quite clear you're far from being ready, especially when you don't tell us the size of your studio, or anything more in-depth.

seastorm
19-12-2009, 11:27pm
It's a 'How long is a piece of string' question there, Lani. As Gregg said, you could be spending heaps on stuff you don't need.

May I suggest you kick off your business with the equipment you currently have and just buy whatever equipment as you need them? The main thing is to focus on your business and build on a client base before spending big...unless you just won lotto :)

dbax
19-12-2009, 11:34pm
^ can't argue with any of the above. Post some pics that you have already taken, pregnancy, landscape, portrait, new born, architectural. It will all help with feedback.And give us an idea of you current photographic skills:D

Redgum
20-12-2009, 12:35am
Why do you want to do photography professionally? And I guess, why should anyone pay you? (Could be a good reason) :)

Gregg Bell
20-12-2009, 1:18am
It's a 'How long is a piece of string' question there, Lani. As Gregg said, you could be spending heaps on stuff you don't need.

May I suggest you kick off your business with the equipment you currently have and just buy whatever equipment as you need them? The main thing is to focus on your business and build on a client base before spending big...unless you just won lotto :)

If this is the case, my consultant fees cost $1000 an hour, but I will tell you what you need ;)

bigdazzler
20-12-2009, 9:02am
these threads pop up about once every 6 weeks on average I reckon ....

sorry to be blunt, but you are NOWHERE near ready to start a professional photography business if you need to ask these questions here.

Lani Schlink
20-12-2009, 7:36pm
Thanks everyone,

I'm sorry as I havent made myself at all clear and have just realised I should have used the beginners forum. I dont intend to actually start the business for quite sometime yet as I realise there is alot I need to learn. I have just started a diploma in photography and know that this is the career path I want to take (especially in Pregnancy, newborn and baby).
I was interested for future purposes.

Sorry for all of the confusion:o

I @ M
20-12-2009, 7:42pm
That puts it a slightly different light Lani, getting on here, asking and learning what is required is a smart way to begin rather than jumping in feet first and being disappointed. :th3:

ricktas
20-12-2009, 7:52pm
Absorb as much information as you can, from a variety of sources (including AP). A marketing course can also be of benefit, as could a small business course that looks at records keeping, contracts and accounting. Running a photography business is about 20% photography.

Good luck on your chosen path.

Post some photos on AP, and you will get good critique that will also help you improve your photography along the way as well.

Colinc1
20-12-2009, 8:15pm
Nothing wrong with forward thinking,but me thinks you are trying to go in way too fast.
Slow down, do your course and see how you go, by all means take practice pics of friends family or whatever,maybe earn a few $$ along the way, and hone your skills through your studies, put into practice what you learn

kiwi
20-12-2009, 9:12pm
work on your photography bloody hard for three years, then youll be ready

Lani Schlink
20-12-2009, 9:28pm
Thats great advice. I reckon I might even take a bit longer, just to be sure. I would rather have a great reputation from the start.

pgbphotographytas
21-12-2009, 7:48am
Thats great advice. I reckon I might even take a bit longer, just to be sure. I would rather have a great reputation from the start.

This is the right way to think about it....

edenconnell
30-09-2010, 9:45pm
Good luck work it