PDA

View Full Version : Damnit

Krzys
17-12-2009, 12:48pm
So I just developed a half shot roll of 135/36 Hp5 thinking I wouldnt get around to pulling out the leader and shooting the rest. Turns out the film keeps going past the 37th frame to around 50! It touches the bottom of my shower and then some!

I wish Id gone and shot the rest now :(

I @ M
17-12-2009, 1:35pm
I'm, not a film user but I reckon you should just snip of the unused section and stick it back in the camera and use it.

Sort of like just formatting a memory card and starting over------

ricktas
17-12-2009, 1:45pm
I'm, not a film user but I reckon you should just snip of the unused section and stick it back in the camera and use it.

Sort of like just formatting a memory card and starting over------

LOL!

Kym
17-12-2009, 1:47pm
Just change memory cards? :D

Krzys
17-12-2009, 1:52pm
Bah I have 60 odd rolls in my fridge so it doesn't matter.

I'm, not a film user but I reckon you should just snip of the unused section and stick it back in the camera and use it. Would be practical in a tactile sense I guess. If you enjoy advancing plastic through your camera.

I saw 6 rolls of Kodachrome go for $29 on ebay Aus the other day. This stuff usually sells for $70-100 :eek:

I @ M
17-12-2009, 2:03pm
What!!!! You have to have 60 rolls of filum to replace one itsy bitsy memory card and keep it in the fridge where the beer belongs??????

Strange strange strange. :D

Krzys
17-12-2009, 2:57pm
Memory cards are boring. Film comes in so many different flavors and there are so many kinds of soup to try it in. You may be into photography for the pixels at the end, but I like all of the fiddly bits in between.

kiwi
17-12-2009, 3:16pm
Well, fiddly bits huh

Like the 2056 settings on a D3's menu to figure out
The 1,000,000's of things you can do in photoshop, acr, bridge, dxo, lr2, photo mechanic, photomatix, topaz, nik, gimp, faststone, irfanview........
Or do you mean worrying about all the fiddly bits like what PC you need, how much ram, hard drive space, back up processes, etc ?

Nah, no d fiddly bits with digital, it's all so simple !!

Krzys
17-12-2009, 3:24pm
No....

I mean choosing, loading, shooting, rewinding, spooling, processing, drying, sleeving, observing, scanning, printing and projecting film. Its all very fiddly.

If you want to turn this into a film v digital debate then fine. Fire away. Its not going to change that I have more fun using film and in the real world that is what counts to me.

kiwi
17-12-2009, 3:28pm
Not particularly, not unless you do, but happy to discuss

Krzys
17-12-2009, 3:30pm
I'd like to talk film in the film forum, rather than how fridges are for beer and cheesecake.

Kym
17-12-2009, 5:28pm
Stirring and pulling your chain aside ... (and must admit you set yourself up for that in this post :p ) ...

Film is fun - but digital is the vast vast majority of photography.
While many of us did film years ago - only a handful do it regularly (more than once a year) now.

I am not anti-film! I am pro-photography in all forms.
I also realise where the future is which is with technology convergence (eg. HD video in my DSLR etc.)

Digital technology has made photography more accessible, affordable and immediate than any time in history.

The Film v Digital 'debate' is over - Digital won & the proof is sheer weight of numbers.
That does not invalidate film in a very small niche for some enthusiasts.
However, exclusivity does help anyone.

BTW the 'other' debate (C v N) is comedy entertainment to PENTAX shooters who know better :D

Krzys
17-12-2009, 5:38pm
I think the Film v Digital debate is more about which is more worthwhile. Its obvious that the consumers are going to go digital because it is accessible.

Kym
17-12-2009, 7:57pm
I think the Film v Digital debate is more about which is more worthwhile. Its obvious that the consumers are going to go digital because it is accessible.

Easy answer for that! NEITHER!!

The end result is what matters - either print or pixels!

Which is the point of photography ... to capture an image and share it with others.

Photography is the process, activity and art of creating still or moving pictures by recording radiation on a sensitive medium, such as a photographic film, or an electronic sensor.

The word "photograph" was coined in 1839 by Sir John Herschel and is based on the Greek φῶς (phos) "light" and γραφή (graphĂȘ) "representation by means of lines" or "drawing", together meaning "drawing with light"

Krzys
17-12-2009, 9:51pm
The end result is what matters - either print or pixels! So the experience while shooting is worth nothing? Bah.

If I have fun flicking the advance lever on my camera then how can you say that the photo is the only thing that matters. What about the feeling you get when you take a photo you know is a keeper? I get just as much enjoyment from the tactile use of old manual cameras as I do looking at freshly dried negatives on a light table, or the contact sheet - just as much as the final result.

I'm sorry if you guys cant place any value on the experience of making photographs.

From wikipedia I read,

Winogrand left behind nearly 300,000 unedited images, and more than 2,500 undeveloped rolls of film

If that is the case then what do you think was most important to Winogrand. Making photos or looking at photos?