PDA

View Full Version : Helicoid Grease or an Acceptable Alternative

gerry
15-12-2009, 8:27pm
This one is for those DIY nutters out there, I have a few older nikon lens one of which is a 105mm micro which has a particularly stiff focus ring, I am fairly confident that is due the lubricant and not some other issue like being dropped or similiar. I suspect the lubricant has just gotten old and hardened up. It is not really an option to send it to nikon for a service since a quote would cost more than the lens did.

I also have no issues getting it apart to clean and re-lube the helicoid, however my main concern is the type of grease to use, obviously I want something that is as close to the original nikon spec as possible but something that is locally procurable, I have heard a few suggestions of wheel bearing gease etc but thought I would put it out there and see if anyone had any ideas on this one!

ricktas
15-12-2009, 8:49pm
Umm- why not ring the Nikon Service Centre, be honest, explain the above and ask them. They may be able to either supply some or tell you where to get it. At least that way you are bound to get what Nikon recommend.

MarkW
15-12-2009, 10:04pm
If Nikon won't help then:-

Unless the lens is an old full metal build then I wouldn't go anywhere near wheel bearing grease - it will definitely damage any of the plastic components. I'd consider a white grease like a vaseline, especially if any of the parts are ABS plastic.

gerry
21-12-2009, 11:31am
Umm- why not ring the Nikon Service Centre, be honest, explain the above and ask them

Just to follow up on this, I did consider this however did not realistically expect to get any info.

So I did contact nikon aus and "We are unable to supply lubricating materials outside of Nikon service centres. We are also unable to provide advice on do it your self repairs"

Also, you don't want to know what the estimated cost for doing (helicoid re-grease) this thru nikon is either.

no surprise there really and I can understand why.

it will definitely damage any of the plastic components

not many plastic bits in this lens :)

I'd consider a white grease like a vaseline

vaseline is petroleum based i thought? Also vaseline is not that great when it warms up, becomes runny, just thing I would want to avoid here..

I will keep searching...

kiwi
21-12-2009, 11:34am
Google is my friend

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00G6qU

gerry
21-12-2009, 11:54am
Google is my friend

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00G6qU

The apperture ring is kind of hard to turn and doesn't seem to "clik" on the appertures very easily

different issue, which imo would require a very different grease (if any - its just a i-dent spring that locates the ring at each aperture), here they are talking about the aperture ring, I am referring to the helicoid, the focus ring.

kiwi
21-12-2009, 11:56am
ahh, well, i tried, lol

yummymummy
21-12-2009, 11:58am
My son has grease for his trombone, wonder if that would work? slide grease it's called..

gerry
21-12-2009, 1:18pm
ahh, well, i tried, lol

kudos for that :)

grease for his trombone, wonder if that would work?

interesting, will have alook.

Tannin
21-12-2009, 2:56pm
I believe that the majority of the lubricants used at Nikon's repair centre are manufactured from ground-up press photographers.

MarkChap
21-12-2009, 4:44pm
Have you thought about a third party repair centre, some one like Anderson's,
Maybe they might be a bit more forthcoming with some help ??

kaiser
21-12-2009, 4:52pm
I believe that the majority of the lubricants used at Nikon's repair centre are manufactured from ground-up press photographers.

Lol:lol2:

Astroman
21-12-2009, 4:59pm
If that doesn't help try some lithium grease. White Lithium grease is used in some Telescope mounting systems and is non corrosive to metals. It provides a silky smooth feel between metal parts... Companies that provide "white" grease are CRC and WD40. Should be able to pick it up at bunnings or an automotive, hardware store.

NOTE: The information provided is only of a general nature, I will take no responsibility in damage to your equipment. Using my information you agree that I am not responsible for any damages occurring.

gerry
21-12-2009, 10:24pm
third party repair centre, some one like Anderson's

hmm, sounds like an idea, will try.

White Lithium grease is used in some Telescope mounting systems and is non corrosive to metals

now thats promising, ta.

NOTE: The information provided is only of a general nature, I will take no responsibility in damage to your equipment. Using my information you agree that I am not responsible for any damages occurring.

:rolleyes:

there is a reason why they graduate more lawyers than engineers...

HerveyBayShutterBug
21-12-2009, 10:28pm

Having dated a couple of them in my earlier years, i can confirm that this is definitely a possibility. Thlipery thuckers. :D

HerveyBayShutterBug
22-12-2009, 11:34am
On a more serious note:

Here's the stuff you want.

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=21033

Been around for years.

Hope this helps.

gerry
22-12-2009, 1:59pm
On a more serious note:

Here's the stuff you want.

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=21033

Been around for years.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link, I have actually looked at their site before but never saw this. They also have Helical grease (light, medium and heavy) which looks very promising, however at US25 bucks it could become an expensive experiment!

I have done some research on some telescope sites, these guys do alot more maintenance on their gears and worms which are sort of in the same category as helical threads and the general consensus seems to be 100% silicone grease and/or as mentioned before White Lithium Grease.

Both these types can be purchased from auto shops quite cheaply, so I am going to try these first.

Ta for the help :food04:

FYI,

Classic Camera Repair FOrum is very helpful..

http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

also Ice In Space

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/archive/index.php