PDA

View Full Version : Computer has cr....ed itself!!!

charton
13-12-2009, 6:54pm
My laptop hass died, well sort of. Just over 12 months old - Sony Vaio VG-CR35G model. Was using it last night, all was well, shutdown as normal. then this morning turned it on and got Startup Repair window, which automatically runs. Error message to do with system32 driver - I have not idea what this means.
I am running the Vaio system test at the moment... looks like I am ringing sony in the morning to find a hobart service centre (noone listed on their website deals with the computers :( ).
I have recovery discs but can't get my head around the instructions in the book... so angry !!! No PS on hubbys lap top, can't remember if my last backup to hardrive got mum's 60th birthday pics.

Ok, had my vent....

ricktas
13-12-2009, 7:37pm
Hope you get good new tomorrow when you talk to Sony, Rachel

Jcas
13-12-2009, 8:08pm
Rachel have you installed a windows update lately, if so uninstall it and then try it.

Same thing happened to me after the last windows update, got the startup repair window. After i uninstalled the windows update it was ok again.

charton
13-12-2009, 10:03pm
Rachel have you installed a windows update lately, if so uninstall it and then try it.

Same thing happened to me after the last windows update, got the startup repair window. After i uninstalled the windows update it was ok again.

Yes, it ran automatically the other night, (well last night). I can't even get past the startup repair widow to do anything that is the problem.... any suggestions would be great.

Rebelx
13-12-2009, 10:54pm
This sounds like a step by step type of instruction which should be handled on the phone. [unless you could extensively research the issue on the net on a different computer]

Also suggest posting to computing forums but you will need full specs for them to analyse it all.

good luck.

seastorm
14-12-2009, 1:23am
Sounds like either your HDD has a corrupt sector, or the last Windows Update corrupted a a driver in the System 32 folder.....

I don't think yours is the first Vaio I've heard that's carked it, give me a Dell any day.....

NGP
14-12-2009, 4:32am
try starting up in safe mode (if it lets you) and make some backups.. after run the windows recovery/restore with your backup discs.. might be possible that only one file got corrupted so you can also just copy the one file over into the system32 folder from your windows cd rom.. this happened to me on one of my old servers that one of the files got corrupted and didn't want to boot anymore, was fixed in seconds..

ving
14-12-2009, 7:21am
My laptop hass died,
nah, you just have a sticky "s" key :p

just kidding, hope you get it sorted soon.