PDA

View Full Version : Studio Lighting advice

ProPho
10-12-2009, 1:56pm
Hello,

After hiring lights when required I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy my own kit.

I am planning on using the lights for portraiture mainly. The studio space is 5mtr x 4mtr.

Can anyone offer suggestions to the number of lights I should get, the wattage, accessories etc?

As I am returning to the field price is definitely a factor.

Are there any brands that I should steer clear of?

Thanks in advance,

Amarcord

DAdeGroot
10-12-2009, 2:22pm
Best bang for buck, considering features and reliability, seems to be Alien Bees at the moment.
Three lights should be enough for a basic starter set. Through in some modifiers, etc and you should be all set for less than three grand.

ProPho
10-12-2009, 4:54pm
Thanks for the tip!

Any recommendation of watts?

ehor
11-12-2009, 12:03am
If it's only studio stuff I reckon 3 or 4 300ws heads and loads of modifiers.
Octaboxes, softboxes, stripboxes, beauty dish.

Then you have booms, wireless triggers, background papers etc :)

littleblightie
12-12-2009, 2:29am
Alien Bee's "Einstein" flashes are said to be just around the corner, and with an Australian distributor, that's what I'd be hanging out for now...

bigdazzler
12-12-2009, 8:09am
As I am returning to the field price is definitely a factor.

You can buy a commodore or you can buy a ferrari ?? What is your budget ??

As Ed said above - 3 lights minimum (key/fill/hair-rim) for a simple setup.

You will need triggers/recievers, softboxes, umbrellas (maybe??), octos, grids, beauty dishes, snoots, backdrops, stands, light meter ... the list goes on.

Its a mine field out there ... I recommend putting a max $ figure on your budget and then plan your moves from there.

ProPho
13-12-2009, 8:31pm
Budget is ideally $1500.00, definitely not Ferrari money but gotta start somewhere!

Brodie
14-12-2009, 3:07pm
I would highly recommend looking at the reviews done by Dave Hobby over at strobist.com. He has recently reviewed everything from the profoto's to the Alien bees. With Alien bees starting to cater for australian market I am looking to go for some of these, especially since they can be used out on location easily.

Rememeber being in a studio, you CAN have TOO much power. I cant dial my 400WS lights down enough sometimes.

ehor
15-12-2009, 4:19pm
Budget is ideally $1500.00, definitely not Ferrari money but gotta start somewhere!

Have a good look at the Alien Bees then.
www.paulcbuff.com.au
If you're gonna be in studio and not pulling the softboxes apart each time you shoot then you can save some money buy getting the non-foldable softboxes.

I use the foldable ones as I shoot on location a lot.

I would highly recommend looking at the reviews done by Dave Hobby over at strobist.com. He has recently reviewed everything from the profoto's to the Alien bees. With Alien bees starting to cater for australian market I am looking to go for some of these, especially since they can be used out on location easily.

Rememeber being in a studio, you CAN have TOO much power. I cant dial my 400WS lights down enough sometimes.
I'm using a B1600 and B800. Love 'em.

Brodie
23-12-2009, 1:23pm
Actually I noticed you were using alienbees in one of your Behind the scenes photos ehor. Im thinking of heading in that direction. My studio lights are just too painful to lug around, and my speedlights dont have enough ooomph.

Can you buy the power packs ready-made for australia now? or do you still need to buy some kind of power adapter. last time i checked i couldnt find the answer on the website.

ehor
30-12-2009, 5:41pm
Actually I noticed you were using alienbees in one of your Behind the scenes photos ehor. Im thinking of heading in that direction. My studio lights are just too painful to lug around, and my speedlights dont have enough ooomph.

Can you buy the power packs ready-made for australia now? or do you still need to buy some kind of power adapter. last time i checked i couldnt find the answer on the website.
Here's the quick reply.
110v Head option.
Vagabond II - output 110v ONLY but can be charged by 100-260vac. They can also be used whilst charging.

240v head option
Innovatronix Explorer XT SE output 240v, can be charged by 100-260vac. Can not be used whilst charging.

Check my blog/facebook for my review on them in a minute or so :)

Zac
05-07-2010, 7:52am
Not seeing that review... but the Innovatronix Explorers are now available in Oz which is great...