PDA

View Full Version : Do You See Lines?

wideangle
09-12-2009, 10:19pm
I am sure its my screen I am working on that is showing strange banding/lines - arghhhh I need a $1000+ screen that show good tonal range etc.

http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/736191730_mLb3Z-L.jpg

Philr
09-12-2009, 10:24pm
yep I see them!

yummymummy
09-12-2009, 10:26pm
me too!

rwg717
09-12-2009, 10:31pm
Yes I see them too, do you have big speakers near the screen? I have seen large audio equipment produce that sort of effect before.:christmasparty:

ricktas
09-12-2009, 10:33pm
I see dead people!!

Oh and I see lines to apparently. Interesting that they curve down on the left. Was this the actual photo or a screen capture to show the lines?

Tannin
09-12-2009, 10:39pm
Yep, lines. And I do have a $1000 monitor. Not to worry, just dial the saturation right up and say it was a rainbow. :)

Kym
09-12-2009, 10:40pm
yes - horizontals bands

clm738
09-12-2009, 10:52pm
Me too, same as Rick.

wideangle
09-12-2009, 10:53pm
What the heck is it then if you are all seeing it? This was a shot in which I PP. Not sure what the go is here.

ricktas
09-12-2009, 10:56pm
Does it appear on other shots taken during the same shoot? have you cleaned your sensor recently - residue lines on sensor?

Banding issues are not unheard of. The D200 had an issue with banding when it was first released, but it only occured under certain conditions, they fixed it with further copies of the camera. Mine was fine, but NickMonk can get his to produce banding.

Tannin
09-12-2009, 11:03pm
The lines are curved. Banding as a sensor issue, as a PP issue, as a firmware issue, and as a monitor issue should produce straight lines! At least I can't see how the maths could make sense if any of the causes mentioned just now are relevant.

Curved lines just about have to be coming from a waveform disturbance: i.e., something optical (lens weirdness) or something electrical (interference patterns - something that I'd have only expected to apply to analogue monitors and signal chains. I just can't see how these lines can be a digital artifact.

PS: you are not doing any picture-bending PP by any chance? (De-fishing or similar.)

wideangle
09-12-2009, 11:03pm
Does it appear on other shots taken during the same shoot? have you cleaned your sensor recently - residue lines on sensor?

Banding issues are not unheard of. The D200 had an issue with banding when it was first released, but it only occured under certain conditions, they fixed it with further copies of the camera. Mine was fine, but NickMonk can get his to produce banding.

I've noticed it from time to time, but I don't think it is ever in the same spot. I took a sereis of shots of the above scene and it doesn't appear to be showing up in the others. This one was shot with a Canon 350D, so not sure if there have been any past issues in relation to banding with this camera?

wideangle
09-12-2009, 11:08pm
The lines are curved. Banding as a sensor issue, as a PP issue, as a firmware issue, and as a monitor issue should produce straight lines! At least I can't see how the maths could make sense if any of the causes mentioned just now are relevant.

Curved lines just about have to be coming from a waveform disturbance: i.e., something optical (lens weirdness) or something electrical (interference patterns - something that I'd have only expected to apply to analogue monitors and signal chains. I just can't see how these lines can be a digital artifact.

PS: you are not doing any picture-bending PP by any chance? (De-fishing or similar.)

Hey, when you say "picture-bending PP" do you mean Perspective Correction? I did apply some to this image.

ricktas
09-12-2009, 11:09pm

Very true, good points.

Tannin
09-12-2009, 11:22pm
Perspective correctiom? Yes, that ought to be able to do it - anything that bends straight lines. Now the next question is where are the lines coming from? Were they already there before the PP? If so, we have to look for almost everything. Or was it the PP that introduced them?

kiwi
09-12-2009, 11:33pm
I see lines on a very very junkie laptop with a bad screen

I also see sheep.

AmyK
10-12-2009, 12:12am
Yep, I see them as well...

Hope you guys work out what they're from!

Helen S
10-12-2009, 12:25am
I see them too, on a fairly expensive screen.

kiwi
10-12-2009, 12:29am
are they on the RAW - Im sure interested

Miaow
10-12-2009, 9:32am
Yes I can see them also - As others have mentioned earlier something/marks on sensor?

wideangle
10-12-2009, 7:32pm
Maybe it has something to do with Post Processing?? - as here is the same image crop unedited (from Canon DPP):
http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/737006352_8EUgi-L.jpg

And then the edited version that was originally posted (edited in Raw Therapee):
http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/736191730_mLb3Z-L.jpg

Tannin
10-12-2009, 7:53pm
The DPP version is fine, the edited version has the lines. It's not the camera.

wideangle
10-12-2009, 8:00pm
Even dragging levels to the extreme ends of the Canon DPP image, I don't see the lines:
http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/737018655_xYizr-L.jpg

Tannin
10-12-2009, 8:16pm
I did the same, WA: levels, contrast, colour, the lot. It starts to look as though Raw Therapee must come under suspicion.