PDA

View Full Version : 'node - Advertise? is it the end of the world?

Kym
08-12-2009, 6:30pm
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/internode-ready-to-lose-geek-image-and-go-mainstream/story-e6frg996-1225807513441

'node who essentially don't advertise (because they have not needed to) are going to start marketing.

WOW!!

Quoting Simon from Whirlpool..

Stanley Devia writes... Bit of a non-story really. In summary, Internode are planning to do some conventional advertising.

That is indeed the key 'take home' message from that article :)

And I agree that we are not intending (nor do I see us at risk of) lose the 'geek' affinity in the process. We love, and we thrive, on being the technically astute customers' ISP of choice.

What I will say about this, to explain one of the reasons we're looking at (shock, horror) some more conventional advertising, is that when we talk to our customers about their experience with recommending us (thanks!) to their friends, about the only negative we ever get told is the result of this sort of exchange...:

"You should use Internode because <...>"

"... but I've never heard of them"

Its that 'never heard of them' bit that will benefit from us spending some time and effort (and money) undertaking more conventional advertising – so that when you are kind enough to recommend Internode to a non-geek friend (thank you!), that might be the second time they've heard the name, not the first time.

So... Which APers use 'node as their ISP? www.on.net

ving
08-12-2009, 6:36pm
not I... i am using a crappy tasmanian isp which i'll be dropping soon.

Tannin
08-12-2009, 6:51pm
Telephone lines are for telephone calls. It's cable, cable, cable all the way for me.

Interwho?

Old Skool
08-12-2009, 7:41pm
Yes, used them for years, best ever ISP.

CherylB
08-12-2009, 11:17pm
So... Which APers use 'node as their ISP? www.on.net

not I... i am using a crappy tasmanian isp which i'll be dropping soon.

Telephone lines are for telephone calls. It's cable, cable, cable all the way for me.

Interwho?

Why, oh why, do I always make the wrong choice??????

I'll be signing up when I move, Kym!!!

David - let me get this straight: you are in NSW and you are using a Tasmanian ISP????? Why?

Tony - easy for you to say! Trouble is, when you are renting (as I am), cable is not really an option.

joffa
09-12-2009, 12:09am
Never had a single issue since being with internode. Best ISP I've ever used, speed is great and nice and reliable.

ricktas
09-12-2009, 7:46am
Yep, the end of the world is nigh!

Kym
09-12-2009, 8:52am
Adam Internet is SA and NT only though, but I'd recommend them if you live in either. To be honest, if I wasn't with Adam and happy, I'd be with 'node.

Adam are also very good! I've used them where 'node have no ports (friends etc).
Each has advantages in their plans, the cost difference is quite marginal.

'node a a full tier 1 Telco / ISP and have a significantly broader reach. Plus I've known Simon since Uni times. :D

As for service, 'node had a big growth spurt and had trouble getting staff for the call centre a while ago (Aussie based); but that's fixed plus they have upgraded some significant core hardware.

Helen S
09-12-2009, 8:55am
Unfortunately both Internode and Adam Internet only do their wireless plans through the Optus 3G network... which is totally useless for us, but I do know people who use both companies with nothing but praise for them. :)

dbax
09-12-2009, 9:02am
interesting Kym, I'm going to have a serious look at them, Looking for a new ISP anyway:confused013

Kym
09-12-2009, 9:08am
Unfortunately both Internode and Adam Internet only do their wireless plans through the Optus 3G network... which is totally useless for us, but I do know people who use both companies with nothing but praise for them. :)

The T$ strangle hold needs to be smashed and the 'structural separation' approach is what is needed.
Beyond AP, so check www.whirlpool.net.au for all the gory details.

Bring on NBN !!

JazzXP
09-12-2009, 9:12am
Love Internode. Best ISP I've used. Customer service has always been spot on. Love all the little extras they give to the geeks too. Free Astraweb, WoW Gateway, IPv6, etc.

stevo01
09-12-2009, 9:27pm
Happy to hear from all the happy Internode customers here......as I am actually an Internode employee :)

As for service, 'node had a big growth spurt and had trouble getting staff for the call centre a while ago (Aussie based); but that's fixed plus they have upgraded some significant core hardware.

You are right Kym, that problem was a while ago and has been resolved.

Will be interesting times ahead for us though with the move to try and reach a broader market than the geeks, and geeks' friends and families.

jjnic
09-12-2009, 9:59pm
Another happy internode user here, wouldn't use anyone else.

jj

etherial
12-12-2009, 11:15am
The T$ strangle hold needs to be smashed and the 'structural separation' approach is what is needed.
Beyond AP, so check www.whirlpool.net.au (http://www.whirlpool.net.au) for all the gory details.

Bring on NBN !!

Here Here! Telstra should have been split from day one or privatization, it was never going to work the way it is now.

I'm lucky to get ADSL1, so yes bring on NBN!

OT: As much as I hate Telstra, their NextG network is amazing so I am now a customer again.

hoffy
12-12-2009, 11:19am
Must have been a slow news day?!??

+ 1 for Adam here, simply on Cost. If Adam lose the plot, 'node here I come!

BLWNHR
12-12-2009, 5:23pm
I am with Exetel at home, about to change to Internode. I used to be with aaNet in my office, but changed to Internode about 2 months ago. My friend, who I share the office with, used to be with Telstra on ADSL2+ but is now with Internode. I also used them for my old employer.

They are good to deal with on the phone and reasonably priced, given the level and quality of service.

The only dramas we've had is they stuffed up our billing for the office when we first signed up, but that was sorted after 2 phone calls and a couple of emails.

Colinc1
12-12-2009, 9:39pm
Exetel for me,very good value for dollar,would love to get ADSL2,but the exchange i am on
is limited to ADSL1, unless i go to helstra,which i will never do,due to their counting uploads in your
data allowance,and exorbitant $$$ pricing