PDA

View Full Version : Light Room Help

IanB
08-12-2009, 11:57am
I can’t open my normal catalog!!

It will only open at a test catalog that I don’t use

So I go File>>open recent >>> which is the normal catalog and I get a notice saying>>>can not open ………………another application has it open :confused013

I have turned the puter off and on several times; but it only opens test catalog that I don’t use and will delete when I work out how; but I need to get into my normal catalog. This also happened a couple of days ago but I was able to go down the open recent path

Any ideas to what I have done??

kiwi
08-12-2009, 11:59am
That's a new one for me Ian. Id suggest logging that on the Adobe LR help forum

ricktas
08-12-2009, 12:04pm
What version of lightroom? Reason I ask is are you using the new beta version, and maybe it is a bug?

MrJorge
08-12-2009, 12:06pm
Sounds like a lock file issue or something to me.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8504849

Try clearing the .lock file in the directory where your catalog lives.

IanB
08-12-2009, 12:26pm
What version of lightroom? Reason I ask is are you using the new beta version, and maybe it is a bug?

2.5 Rick; what bug!!!!!

Thanks Darren and Micheal :)

I thinking I should get my Camera house mate in; does not take much to go over my head :o

MrJorge
08-12-2009, 12:33pm
Did deleting the lock file help?

Kym
08-12-2009, 1:22pm
You can use a Sqlite plugin into Firefox to explore the catalogue file contents.

Write up here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=18668

Be very careful - don't do any updates, backup (safe copy files) first!

Also: LR has a optimise/repair option - did you try that?

IanB
08-12-2009, 2:31pm
Did deleting the lock file help?
Have not found my way into there yet; I need to get a job done so I'm using PS for that :(

That to me reads "LEAVE IT ALONE!!" :rolleyes:

Why do I find the optimise/repair option?

Thanks; most likely something very simple if I knew how to get into the right location.

gcflora
08-12-2009, 2:44pm
You can use a Sqlite plugin into Firefox to explore the catalogue file contents.

Write up here http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=18668

Also: LR has a optimise/repair option - did you try that?

Umm. No offence, because I'm probably missing something. But how is browsing the SQL (Lite) database going to resolve anything?

Cheers,
Craig

ricktas
08-12-2009, 3:49pm
Umm. No offence, because I'm probably missing something. But how is browsing the SQL (Lite) database going to resolve anything?

Cheers,
Craig

Cause you can at least check it to see if it looks like integrity is intact.

gcflora
08-12-2009, 3:50pm
Cause you can at least check it to see if it looks like integrity is intact.

Ahh, ok. I see now ;)

IanB
08-12-2009, 10:25pm
OK things are looking better. The puter bloke could not find/do anything so I tried to dragging image folders into the test catalog to see what happens; and it worked. Still have keywords in place. :th3: So then I reinstall LR, added a new catalog; dragged my photo folder in bridge onto the LR icon and while I type this all the the 30,000+ images are loading into LR.

I will have lost some presets; mainly exporter>>>no real drama>>>may also have lost original corrections as done in develop; and that may annoy later on. All printed photos are saved elsewhere. :th3:

I have recently bought Kelby's LR book so I can fix up some mistakes I have been making

Thanks for offering the suggestions, but I still don't know what happened to the catalog. It has disappeared!! :confused013

:food04:

IanB
09-12-2009, 9:23am
Just letting you know the export presets are in the new catalog :th3:; so I really think the old catalog is still in there somewhere and intact. But I'm still very :confused013 as usual about the computer workings

ricktas
09-12-2009, 10:33am
Glad you are on the path to being sorted Ian. Who would own a computer..hehe.. LOL

oldfart
09-12-2009, 11:27am
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

That app might help your problem.

nisstrust
09-12-2009, 12:20pm
That does not sound too good. Glad its sorted to a degree. I had my LR catalog die on me recently, lucky i backed up just prior and reloaded the catalog from my recent backup, all was good.

IanB
23-12-2009, 2:04pm
:angry0: Now what??!! :angry0:

Just happened again>>>saved an image in PS>>>went to reopen in develope>>no can do because it's being used by another application :angry0:

So now I have two listed catalogs that I can not open; merry bl00dy :christmasparty:

nisstrust
23-12-2009, 2:08pm
Clean install of LR 2.6?

IanB
23-12-2009, 2:14pm
Turned the puter off and on a couple times and; the catalog is back again ????????!!!! :confused013

Thanks for the thought nisstrust; Might be a job for between Xmas/new year. :(