PDA

View Full Version : Indoor graduation in lecture theatre

dandyandy
06-12-2009, 1:32pm
Hi all,

I'm attending a graduation ceremony shortly and would like to know hot to get the best chance of success. I'm guessing the light will generally be low so I'm assuming wide open + high ISO. Do you think that will be fast enough. I don't have a speedlite, just the pop-up on the 450D. I have the twin lens kit plus a 50mm1.8 which I am really enjoying lately and guessed I would use for the ceremony.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dandy

Whisky_Mac
06-12-2009, 2:37pm
I shot my daughters grad last year at ANU. I used the 70-200mm f4. I was about halfway up the lecture theatre. The pop up flash will be a waste of time. There is reasonable light on stage so wide open and a high ISO should be ok. I was centre of the row so did not use a tripod and had to shoot hand held so I used a faster shutter speed. If you have a tripod and can get to the outer edge and have the room to mount on a tripod it should be OK.

I hope it goes well for you.

Scotty72
06-12-2009, 2:42pm
I shot my daughters grad last year at ANU. I used the 70-200mm f4. I was about halfway up the lecture theatre. The pop up flash will be a waste of time. There is reasonable light on stage so wide open and a high ISO should be ok. I was centre of the row so did not use a tripod and had to shoot hand held so I used a faster shutter speed. If you have a tripod and can get to the outer edge and have the room to mount on a tripod it should be OK.

I hope it goes well for you.

I do this sort of stuff heaps

It's easier than you might imagine. Get yourself a monopod (or at least use your tripod like one).;)

Since your not using flash (turn the onboard off). U can take a lot of test - set-up shots without distracting everyone.

Scotty

pollen
06-12-2009, 3:43pm
This entirely depends on the venue and how far away you are sitting

At my University I typically find I have to be at f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/100 shutter speed, but again it's entirely based on the venue

If you're lucky they will have a videographer who sets up video lights. In which case set your camera to tungsten WB, manually adjust your exposure, and shoot from an angle similar to the videographer, and you'll be set.

dandyandy
06-12-2009, 7:47pm
Thanx everyone,

Sort of confirms what I suspected. So, how far can I push up the ISO on the 450 without too much graining? Also, as far as the tripod goes, I do have a lite weight travel type that I could reluctantly use (still feeling self conscious:o) in a mono-pod configuration but I have mucked about with the string-under-the-foot-attached-to-the-tripod-mount thingy. Would that be sufficient?

Thanx in advance, Dandy

pollen
06-12-2009, 9:03pm
Would you be able to use a tripod? Space is at a premium indoors - it's doubtful that a tripod will offer the practicality you require

dandyandy
06-12-2009, 9:44pm
Would you be able to use a tripod? Space is at a premium indoors - it's doubtful that a tripod will offer the practicality you require

Probably not Pollen. That's why I was considering the string thing.

Peace to the bees:cool:, Dan

dandyandy
07-12-2009, 11:27pm
What about the kit lenses, do you think they would be fast enough? I've got the 18-50mm and the 55-250mm, both IS I think.

Dan

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:16pm
best advice - get as close as you can.Will make it easier on yourself and the camera.