PDA

View Full Version : Exporting photo's to jpg introduces crap

milspec
04-12-2009, 3:48pm
Hi, I've been having some issues when exporting to jpg as of lately. If you have a look at the attached photo you will see excessive haloing.

I'm hoping maybe someone can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

Xenedis
04-12-2009, 3:57pm
The halo effect is usually a result of techniques such as unsharp masking or other types of contrast adjustment, and it's particularly noticeable in high-contrast settings such as this.

What processing did you do to the image before saving it?

milspec
04-12-2009, 6:39pm
The halo effect is usually a result of techniques such as unsharp masking or other types of contrast adjustment, and it's particularly noticeable in high-contrast settings such as this.

What processing did you do to the image before saving it?

I think you just listed them all :rolleyes:

Raven
05-12-2009, 12:30pm
OK I think I have just discovered I have had a similar issue before but didn't know the name for it and how it was caused.

Cheers!

Xenedis
05-12-2009, 12:34pm
OK I think I have just discovered I have had a similar issue before but didn't know the name for it and how it was caused.

Being too aggressive with contrast in the form of unsharp masking will do this.

It's more noticeable on subject matter with consistent shades of colour (like skies, as seen in the OP's image).

If you merely convert from RAW and save to JPG, you should not see this effect; there has to have been some sharpening/contrast adjustment to result in it.

Raven
05-12-2009, 12:37pm
I had this when I was attempting to replace colour. Subject was sitting in front of a plain white wall and I tried to make the colour of the wall nicer lol.

milspec
07-12-2009, 7:36pm
Hmmmmm ... interesting turn of events. I've had to re-install Win7 courtesy of the new "Black screen of Death' and the picture is now 100% better. There is still some haloing but much less noticeable. It looks like the nVidia driver obtained through an update is more reliable than the one downloaded from nVidia itself. I get the distinct feeling that nVidia is loosing it's edge on quality video drivers. Guess I'll have to wait for the new Win7 Omega drivers .. :confused013:(

milspec
07-12-2009, 7:37pm
Thanks all for your input :)