PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Curtain Flash - Canon 50D

jeffde
02-12-2009, 1:29pm
Hi
I've been trying to do 2nd Curtain Flash with my 50D.

It works with the pop up flash but isn't talking to my 580EX or my 430 Ex Canon flash. When i go into the menu it says not reading the external flash

Any ideas would be appreciated ???

Brodie
02-12-2009, 1:38pm
Second curtain sync is set on the flash speedlight itself. So it does not need to be set within the camera which it appears is some functionality the new 50D gives you.

On the 580 theres a little lightning bolt, the letter 'H', a forward slash and an arrow symbol. This button will activate it if you press it once or twice.

jeffde
02-12-2009, 2:13pm
Many thanks Brodie i'll try it tonight...

MarkChap
02-12-2009, 3:54pm
Stupid question, but are you sure the flash was turned on when trying to set from the camera ??

Been there done that is the only reason I ask

jeffde
02-12-2009, 8:22pm
No such thing has stupid questions Mark (just stupid answers)

No Brodie was right. I was trying to set up usuing the camera not the flash

Thnaks Brodie, now i can experiment...

nexus
08-12-2009, 11:40pm

You can setup 2nd curtain from the camera as well. If the 50D says external flash is not compatible or not powered on and you have made sure of both (430EX II is compatible), then you need to remount your flash as the contacts are not in the right position. I thought my 430EX II was broken until I realized that :D

Brodie
14-12-2009, 3:54pm

No problem Jeff! Here's something that might also interest you, I leave my flashes in second curtain sync by default. At the fast shutter speeds it doesnt make a difference, but when you slow the shutter right down, its always in second curtain sync ready to go.

Clubmanmc
14-12-2009, 5:06pm
I set mine on my flash, as you can see it easier...

and its only one button press compared to a few menu's in...

M

jeffde
24-12-2009, 9:04am
Thanks guys
I found setting in on the flash easier. Had a play at a wedding reception on the weekend with 1/2 second exposures and 2nd curtian flash during the dancing, will post some (when i get some time)

Scotty72
24-12-2009, 9:17am
For what it's worth, I tend to do it on the camera itself.

Just a habit.

Scotty