PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 installation query

chiller10
01-12-2009, 3:37pm
I'm just about to upgrade from Vista to Win7. Vista is currently installed on a 40 Gb C: partition with roughly 6 Gb spare. My D: partition, where I keep my program & data files, has approx 800 Gb spare. Can anyone tell me if I'm going to have enough room to install on my C: drive and if I do have a problem whether I can back out of the installation without doing any harm.

Kym
01-12-2009, 3:41pm
Upgrade or clean install?

I've done both. While the upgrade works it is very slow and leaves a lot of crud lying around.

40GB is ok for a clean install, I'd prefer more (100GB).

If you do upgrade use ccleaner first you remove as much temp stuff as you can.

Also: get rid of all old restore points - they are wasteful.

chiller10
01-12-2009, 3:44pm
I was looking at an upgrade Kym. I've only been running the machine for about 2 months - hopefully there's not much rubbish on there.

Kym
01-12-2009, 4:39pm
I was looking at an upgrade Kym. I've only been running the machine for about 2 months - hopefully there's not much rubbish on there.

The upgrade leaves copious amounts of old Vista junk behind, even if your Vista installation is new.

I always recommend clean installs because you have less issues in the long run.

chiller10
01-12-2009, 4:49pm
Thanks for the advice Kym

phild
02-12-2009, 4:33pm
As well as a clean install, I'd be buying a new 1tb drive for the install, put your existing primary as a secondary. Partition the new HDD to your tastes (I usually allow 250 odd MB for my primary partition) and keep your existing install intact for the moment. That way if you have any problems it's a simple cable swap and you're back in business with your old OS. Once you're happy with the new install you can delete all the files off the old drive.

sixfootfour
02-12-2009, 6:58pm
Does an upgrade installation of Win 7 really make it work slowly? Have you seen evidence of this?. I did a quick upgrade install around 3 weeks ago and it's running pretty fast. Are you saying it will run even faster with a clean install? I realise there is vista crap left everywhere, i just wanted it done and was planning on a clean install when i have time.

Kym
02-12-2009, 7:22pm
No speed is about the same. Upgrade took over an hour when I did it.

sixfootfour
02-12-2009, 7:24pm
Ahh righto, you meant time taken to install.