PDA

View Full Version : Converting NEF for use in Photoshop CS4

cliham
26-11-2009, 8:32am
My Nikon D90, when shooting RAW, my camera comes up with a NEF file. NEF is not acceptable according to Adobe, what is the easiest way to convert to files that photoshop is happy with. I have searched previous posts and have not been able to find an answer, (No doubt this has ben discussed at length in the past, but I can not find results) Please, I need help! as a rookie with all this 'modern stuff', I am finding it a bit of a struggle.

arthurking83
26-11-2009, 8:43am
View NX!

On the CD that came with the camera, there should be a few programs that you may find handy for using with your camera. View NX will be the handiest.
The best NEF converter, some minimal editing is possible which is basically doing on the PC what you can do in camera anyhow.
Convert to raster format in ViewNX and open with PS.

If you do install it(which I recommend) you can also set some 'open with' preferences, for easy file handling.. where you rightclick the jpg/tif image and open with .. what ever's in the list... etc.

Once you've installed ViewNX check for updates too.

cliham
26-11-2009, 8:47am
Thank you, I will look into this option,

ricktas
26-11-2009, 8:52am
NEF is definitely acceptable for PS. Try going into PS, Help > updates and download all the updates that are available and install them. The other thing you might need is the current Adobe Camera Raw update as well: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html The D90 is listed as being supported.

cliham
26-11-2009, 9:46am
Thank you Rick, I will take your advice. Cheers, Clive

campo
26-11-2009, 10:35am
I'm pretty sure my D80's NEF files were able to be opened in early versions of photoshop (v7 from memory) / camera raw. They're definitely fine with Lightroom/CS4 and Camera raw these days.

cliham
26-11-2009, 1:59pm
Hi Campo, Thanks, I think I am on top of this now, thanks to all the help from members!
Cheers, Cliham