PDA

View Full Version : Open raw files in photoshop

Gav1n
25-11-2009, 1:35pm
Ok so I'm getting very frustrated trying to find out how to open my raw files in photoshop.
I am using photoshop CS. I have searched and searched and can't for the life of me find a plug in, or figure out how to open them! The only plug ins I can find are for CS3 or CS4 etc. I am using a pentax, so am trying to import either .pef & .dng files.

ANY HELP????? :(

ricktas
25-11-2009, 1:39pm
depends if CS supported the K20D, it may not have. Adobe don't backwards support new camera's for older versions of PS. What you can do is download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your Pentax raw file into the abode DNG RAW file and access them.

Gav1n
25-11-2009, 1:44pm
Thanks rick I'll try that. The pentax does have to option of saving the files as DNG rather than PEF. Is this basically what the DNG Converter will do?

ricktas
25-11-2009, 1:49pm
Thanks rick I'll try that. The pentax does have to option of saving the files as DNG rather than PEF. Is this basically what the DNG Converter will do?

Yes.

Each camera manufacturer has their own proprietary raw format. Adobe created DNG as an open-source RAW format to allow 'future proofing' or raw files. At present there is nothing to stop Pentax/Canon/Nikon etc stopping producing the details of any of their raw formats, making the files possibly unreadable in the years to come.

The Adobe DNG format is designed to overcome that.

Gav1n
25-11-2009, 1:58pm
Hmmm no dice then. When I try to open the DNG files in photoshop its says "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"........bummer

ricktas
25-11-2009, 2:47pm
Hmmm no dice then. When I try to open the DNG files in photoshop its says "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"........bummer

It should be supported according to this, it lists CS as being useable with DNG, according to this : http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

Go into CS and go Help > UPDATE and keep downloading any updates until nothing is left to update.

wideangle
25-11-2009, 5:33pm
If you are having trouble you can always give the free Raw Therapee a go, it converts RAW images and has a massive range of tweaks that you can apply as well.

CherylB
25-11-2009, 10:20pm
The other option you can try Gavin, is to use whatever software came with your camera. That will definitely allow you to open the raw files. The various brand-specific software utilities will usually (I think) have some sort of mass save option that will allow you to convert the raw files into something Photoshop can open - such as TIFF.

I have had that problem with DNG before also. The only way around it that I could find was to upgrade the version of Photoshop! In other words, I think it is still linked in some way to the version of PS you are using so might not have the latest codecs to convert your particular camera's raw files.

Gav1n
05-12-2009, 4:19pm
Ahhh finally figured out my Pentax software could convert to the PEF to TIF which photoshop is letting me open! HOORAH!

cupic
05-12-2009, 4:44pm
Must be a problem with CS ,that is CS2 opens my DNG files straight away,I had the same problem when trying to open PEF from my K20d and didnt.Also a way around it is using a Adobe DNG converter for PEF Files

cheers