PDA

View Full Version : Refresh rates on LCD monitors

Bear Dale
25-11-2009, 12:03pm
Refresh rates were a big deal on CRT monitors.

What about refresh rates on LCD monitors?

milspec
25-11-2009, 12:11pm
Refresh rates are directly linked to smoothness of motion on the screen. If an image component is moving across the the screen at a great rate of knots, then the slower the refresh rate the less images that are displayed of the component giving it staggered appearance. The more images per second, the smoother the image component will travel across the screen. Thus, the higher the refresh rate the smoother the picture.

ricktas
25-11-2009, 12:18pm
refresh rates are really only important for intense gaming and video. Still photography work, ti's not so.

Bear Dale
25-11-2009, 12:24pm
Are they as important though with LCD as with CRT?

I remember how awful a low refresh rate was on a CRT. I don't see any difference if I change the refresh rates on LCD though.

Tannin
25-11-2009, 5:19pm
Totally different things.

CRT: picture is composed of flashes of light which rapidly fade to black. You MUST have a high refresh rate (>~85hz - i.e., 85 refreshes per second) to avoid horrible flickering.

LCD: picture is composed of dots of light which stay on all the time (unless deliberately switched off) and stay off all the time (unless switched on). Refresh rate doesn't matter in the slightest. You could have a refresh rate of one per week and it still wouldn't flicker. (But of course, a screen with a 0.0000000116hz refresh rate might be just a little frustrating for watching a movie on. :) )

Bear Dale
25-11-2009, 5:57pm
Thanks Tannin