PDA

View Full Version : Horizon 202: The Beast

Tonyj
23-11-2009, 11:59pm
Another quickie. During a long and tedious but well-paid job in Sydney, I purchased a new Horizon 202 pano camera. The idea was to scan the negs, adjust where necessary - and present results on disc. Alas, it did not work. My scanner handles the normal 35mm frame, but not the neg produced by this camera. Not interested in prints. Don't see the point.

Questions.

Do I:
1) Use said camera as a door stop
2) Flaunt it at pensioners' gatherings - and call it bling
3) Chuck it in the recycle bin
4) Invest in technology
5) Polish it with Mr Sheen until its eye bleeds
6) All of the above but with fat anchovies, herbs and spices, as appropriate, proper bread, proper butter, oil, fetta cheese, real garlic, red capsicums, some green leaves, some beef, some fish, some goat ...

Any feedback would be surprising. Ta.

arthurking83
24-11-2009, 5:50am
you forgot some chili! .. otherwise, dinner sounds wonderful, and I'll keep it in mind next time I'm 'Near Bendigo' ;)

:D

on a humorous note tho: can't you get these larger slides scanned professionally? Have no idea on the cost.
If it's not going to be a regular thing(ie. it doesn't end up costing you the price of a D3x in a year), I'd say look at getting the film processed and scanned in one go.
if it looks as though the cost of scanning the slides will cost the same amount as a D3x, then the logical step would be to trade the Horizon for a D3x.. and crop to pano format. Then you'd have a D3x flavoured anchovy herb and spices bread mix!... with chili of course :th3:

ps. feedback from me shouldn't be considered surprising either! .. what could be considered surprising is the value, competence, clarity, and coherence of any of my feedback

ricktas
24-11-2009, 6:45am
Agree with AK, there are labs that can scan these for you, but it may not be cheap (the scanners often cost more than the average weekly wage).

PS- can I get extra garlic!

Tonyj
26-11-2009, 6:07pm
Thanks, gents. Hadn't thought of shooting trannies. Original idea was to shoot 100 ASA T-Max, process myself in my special mix with just a touch of Bulgarian fetta and scan to Mac. Still like the idea of this thing. Apparently it was developed for Russian artillery people so they could keep track of where their shells landed and upon whom.

RE: Change of Menu

Had a quiet word to chef, at the coal face. Probably a mistake. Sous person overheard and threw a hissy, stormed out, flicking tea towel. Nurse is confident that my face wounds will heal, leaving not many scars.

Later.

Chef now suggests: Lark a la piemontaise. Method: Stuff each lark with some a gratin forcemeatabout the size of a nut. Cook them quickly in butter. Serve in a deep earthenware dish on a bed of polenta. Sprinkle with game stock and Marsala. Bake first for around five minutes. Serve.

Another quiet word with chef. I pointed out that I was not entirely sure that we did larks in these parts, particularly near Bendigo. Galahs, yes. Magpies. Sure.

Anyway. All good. Sous person has returned.

Adopts slimy, front-of-house posture, docket book poised:

"May I say, a wise choice ... would Sir require the free-range garlic ... and was that the habanero or the birds' eye chili ... "

arthurking83
26-11-2009, 7:59pm
.. sounds like Lark is quite sparse in the near Bendigo area .. but that Galahs are plentiful :th3:

I suspect that our AP experts, one of whom specializes in avian populations for specific geographical areas(Tannin), and the other specializing in the field of eclectic ornithological culinary delights(Mongo).... may both prefer the natural free range, non genetically modified, organic garlic variety. I'm not fussed! I'll eat almost anything... except Eggplant!!

.. err ... what(if any) was the question again? :D

Tonyj
26-11-2009, 9:08pm
Question? No idea. Possibly something to do with a camera.

Anyway.

I make no claim to expertise in the art of scoffing our little feathery friends, although I once dined on sparrows during a stint in China and found them tasty, but awfully difficult to carve.

We also do a fine line of smoked Carp, fresh from the Campaspe River. In the 12th Century, a band of hairy-faced barbarians discovered that ...

Enough!

Astroman
26-11-2009, 10:08pm
Arnt these negs scanned with some form of drum scanner? Might pay to goto a pro developer for ideas even.

doigal
02-12-2009, 10:08pm
your kidding me right??

If you dont want to spend a penny, scan the frame in 2 halves and recombine in photoshop. If you want to spend a little bit, buy a V500 (dont know if the cheaper one will do it but this works for me) which will scan them in strip format in a single pass.

You can get these scanned on an imacon if you want, but theres no need to if you arn't printing. For what they are the Horizons are actually a really neat bit of kit, until i got a 617 I loved mine (http://www.flickr.com/photos/doigal/3061103122/).

Tonyj
03-12-2009, 12:00am
Hi doigal. Thanks - hadn't thought of that. I have a Canon scanner with a 35mm attachment thingo. Yep, I like the Horizon, although it's a bit of a pig to load. Cheers.

doigal
03-12-2009, 10:15pm
its not as easy as other 35mm cameras to load, but once you get the hang of it its ok. I uploaded a shot of how to load it properly onto flickr, just click the link in the last post.

Camera will happily run on negs/trannies/B+W, quirkly little bugger but a good bit of kit.