PDA

View Full Version : Lightscribe Drive

ricktas
22-11-2009, 3:04pm
My new PC came with a lightscribe (http://www.lightscribe.com/gettingstarted/index.aspx) enabled disk drive. I got me a set of 10 CD's and burnt some iTunes music to play in the car and have used the lightscribe feature to make the labels. Am quite impressed with the results, even if it takes longer to label a disc than it does to fill it with music.

Wondered if other AP members have a lightscribe drive and what their thoughts are on it.

clm738
22-11-2009, 3:13pm
Used one on my daughters PC. Does a great job, but, yes, takes a long time. You can get very creative with your discs and make them look very professional.

CherylB
22-11-2009, 4:03pm
I have one too, but I haven't used it yet. Haven't got around to buying the right disks for it.

Good to know it takes a while though. Thanks.

maccaroneski
22-11-2009, 4:07pm
Got one and love it....

Philr
22-11-2009, 6:13pm
Got one in my Laptop ages ago, use it, love it! New PC come with one also. Great for labelling movies, cd's basically customizing them however you like. There is a program called Acoustica which has some awesome presets and very easy to use.

umajo
22-11-2009, 6:21pm
I have one too, but I haven't used it yet. Haven't got around to buying the right disks for it.

Good to know it takes a while though. Thanks.

same i have one too never used it maybe it might be time to try i hear its very slow :rolleyes:

pgbphotographytas
22-11-2009, 8:18pm
I have had a bit to do with these at work, I agree they take AGES to do :(

mongo
22-11-2009, 8:27pm
have it - never used it

maccaroneski
22-11-2009, 8:31pm
It can be quite slow if you go the whole hog with designs however I tend to just add a bit of text, and on the "good quality" setting only takes about 5 minutes. I think the key to speed is keeping your text inthe same area "band" on the disc, i.e. the more area that you want it to cover as measured from the center to the edge, the longer it takes.

ricktas
22-11-2009, 8:40pm
It can be quite slow if you go the whole hog with designs however I tend to just add a bit of text, and on the "good quality" setting only takes about 5 minutes. I think the key to speed is keeping your text inthe same area "band" on the disc, i.e. the more area that you want it to cover as measured from the center to the edge, the longer it takes.

Yeah. I like how the software shows you a simulation of the scribing. Certainly helped me understand how it does it and how you could save writting time by following the circular 'track'

yummymummy
22-11-2009, 8:40pm
hmm i got one of those in my laptop too, never used it though.. tell me, do you have to use different discs in it ?? what's the go with them?? I got no clue :confused013

DAdeGroot
22-11-2009, 8:55pm
I've noticed my new media box has a lightscribe drive, although I've not tested it yet.

ricktas
22-11-2009, 9:07pm
hmm i got one of those in my laptop too, never used it though.. tell me, do you have to use different discs in it ?? what's the go with them?? I got no clue :confused013

You have to buy disks with the lightscribe logo. I bought a 20 pack for 18.00 (including cd covers) so price is not that bad.

You then need the software from the lightscribe site, you run the software, setup what you want on you label, put the cd in the drive 'upside down" and start it running. At the end out comes your disk with the label laser etched into it.

What you need:

Lightscrive Drive and Lightscibe disks
Lightscribe drivers (should have come with drive)
Lightscribe template maker and burning software

http://www.lightscribe.com/gettingstarted/index.aspx?id=87

And you can get premade templates in packs to download and install as well : http://www.lightscribe.com/ideas/index.aspx?id=2564